Digibash: obvious Armada PL Hotshot digibash...

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by SMOG, Dec 30, 2006.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

This is a quick digibash of something I want to do for real as soon as I lay hands on a Powerlinx Hotshot. Yeah yeah... Armada Hotshot is still a little bit lame, but it's so obvious I can't help myself.

And no... it's not a Hot Rod custom! :) 

I'm sure I can't be the first person to have noticed/attempted this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    WOW. That's eerily (wonder if i spelled that right?) good. Woah I would have never thought that Armada Hotshot would make a great Blaster! Good idea.

3. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

That makes the mold look better.

4. SMOG

There are so many little touches in the Powerlinx Hotshot figure's design that I'm almost convinced that the designers did it on purpose!

With the visor and the extra little forehead details on the PL version of Hotshot, it really looks like Blaster. Then there are those disk-shapes on his shins... I mean, with the colour scheme as it is, all you have to do is slap a cassette door on his chest, and it looks almost finished! And of course, Hotshot's chest is pretty flat, and has connectors on it already... it's almost too convenient. :) 

zmog

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    How will this affect his transformation? Won't the tape door get in the way of the arms when going to alt mode?

On a side note, it's interesting to see the fate of my PL Hot Shot.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Blaster That's so cool

7. SMOG

Indeed! The idea for this bash hit me like a lightning bolt, and it lead me straight to your TF sale/trade thread. Thanks, btw. :) 

I'm still not sure what to do for the tape door... I'll have to find a piece that sort of matches, or make one myself. I seem to remember that there's a little bit of clearance under his canopy in car mode, so I might be able to put something flattish there... though unlikely something that can actually open or store "cassettes". Remains to be seen I guess. This could get more involved than it appeared to be initially.

If space is a real problem, I may decide to make his chest unit detachable, so it becomes part of the car. Or maybe it could be a minicon of some sorts? Am I thinking Steeljaw? ;) 

I also have some ideas about converting his axle-cannon into a dual overhead speaker set-up. Heh heh...

smog

8. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great idea!

9. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Make it happen, dood!

10. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

You could always make clearance if you had to. Attatch a tapedeck door with pegs that give you clearance. And it it looks weird in Bot mode you could make it so that you pull the tape deck part up during alt mode and push it in during bot mode. Would that work? I don't know how good a tape deck on a car hood would look though.

It's a rather neat idea.

11. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

That looks great. Good luck with the mod.

Quite a few years ago I made one out of the yellow Hotshot, without a tape door. I pictured the reverseal of colors as an upgrade (yellow arms/legs and red chest). I figured the tapes would go in his engine compartment or indash cassette player. I had pictures submitted but cannot find them now (must have been lost with the upgrades to the boards).
    The speaker panels and head are what made me think of blaster and I made his axle/gun become a handheld gun (blaster)and I placed an antenae in the flip up base from his axle. I wish we had the origonal mold with the shoulder articulation. The blaster gun can't be pointed straight forward due to hitting the biceps.

the only response I received was, "Its not red". I purchased the red version but never got around to altering it

12. SMOG

Hey, cool! Someone else who saw the resemblance! The similarities are even more marked in the red version, with the retooled headmold. I really have to figure the cassette door thing, because that will be the part that really nails it, even more than the head repainting or speaker details. I figure the wheelbase will make great overhead speakers, if I can find a good way to make the wheels swivel out. I was thinking of adding an antenna too. Guess I'll have to wait and see what I can manage once I have the figure in-hand.

Too bad about the weak articulation on this figure.. which original mold are you talking about? Is there a version of this figure that has better shoulder articulation that I don't know about?

zmog

13. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Okay, yeah! I'll buy it. Neat look.

14. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

wow

I am tempted to get a Hot shot and do this, This is fantastic, you need to do a Twincast version as well, very nice.

15. soundwave47

soundwave47 Remember Me?

great custom!!!:thumb 

16. SMOG

I HOPE it will be a great custom. So far, it's just a photoshop cut-and-paste job. The hard part is still to come once I have the figure. ;) 

I have TONS of customs I'm wanting to do, but in all honesty, the thing that holds me back is the eternal painting question. TFs just do NOT take paint well, especially considering that they need to transform, and tend to invite handling (I don't think I could cope with having a TF I couldn't fiddle with).

I've painted a lot of my gundams (prefer airbrushing to brush though), and I have no problems cutting into my TFs... but I find painted TFs often look a bit gloppy. So that leaves me with the prospect of either dyeing them when possible, or maybe this vinyl spray-on dye that people have been talking about lately. Still have some experimenting to do...

Thankfully, this Blaster custom doesn't require much painting... :) 

zmog

17. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

There was as prototype, or some kind of leaked photo, that showed shoulder articulation from before the toys release. I think it had breakage problems, or something like that, so they changed the mold. It also might have made it harder for the Japanese version to have an l.e.d. in the hand. (not sure where the batteries are located in the japanese version) The door panels didn't fold down on the legs the same way so that might have screwed up the "speakers" look.

18. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The battery is stored in the forearm of both Micron Legend Hotshots, if I remember correctly.

This idea is super cool, I wanna see it done!

19. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any chance of a digibash in alt mode?

20. SMOG

Heh. Well, since I don't know what I'm going to have to do to make the cassette hatch work in robot mode, I don't know what I'll have to do to the car mode yet.

So far, I'm only planning to remove the flames. Anything more is up in the air.
    (though to be honest, I kind of like the stylized flame deco... might be sad to see it go)

When I really think about it, a hot car is not necessarily the best vehicle alt-mode for Blaster... if he's really a big hard-rocker, maybe it should be a van, with some sort of barbarian painting on the side...? ;) 

zmog