2D Artwork: Obsidian

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by dsn1014, Feb 10, 2011.

1. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

Similar to my last thread, the design for Obsidian is based on the Legends Springer mold from ROTF, I liked the look of it.

The setting is the same, after G1, before Beast Wars. He's the Maximal whose job it is to organize the campaign of change over the planet. He does it in the interests of Cybertron, to which he is sworn to protect. He plays a very active role in this and works very closely with the Predacon police to carry this out. This has made him unpopular in some circles...

This drawing was penciled first then GIMP was used to ink it. I like it as I feel I can be very messy while sketching it out, then use the program to lift the lines out. The pencils are attached as well, so you can compare if you wish, but I had to use a photo of it as I don't have a scanner at the minute.

[​IMG]

just finished colouring.

[​IMG]

thanks for looking :) 

Attached Files:

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I actually really like your "rough" pencils.
    But I also like your interesting inking method. It looks like you're using entirely straight lines, right? Most intriguing, and very clean-looking.

3. dsn1014

Thanks very much man. I haven't done much drawing in some time, so I'm kinda getting back into it.

Yeah, they're straight lines, using the path tool in GIMP to follow my lines, its very helpful. I'd usually curve the lines a little, but I'm trying to put some perspective in my drawings and I would have confused myself trying to work on both for this one, something for the next picture.

More to come as time allows.

4. ssg4life

ssg4life Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    looks more like a cylon than obsidian. the penciled version looks more like obsidian

5. dsn1014

He definitely wound up looking like a Cylon, I can see Sea Spray in there too. Its a bit of a stretch to see Obsidian in it. But I'm fairly sold on it.

I'm not too sure about the other head, it looked a bit like Movie Brawl to my eye, so I tried to follow the Springer toy instead, successfully or not, I like how it came out.

But anyway, I really enjoyed doing this one and got it coloured already.

[​IMG]

6. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    as always you do such amazing work!
    really wish i could even sketch a person with hands lol

7. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    very nice!

great job getting that atmospheric perspective [and depth!]

8. dsn1014

Thanks man, though I struggle with hands too. I generally try and work around them when I can. But I'll have a go at some in my next doodle.

Thanks for that. I'm very pleased with how it came out, though next time I want to add in some more detail, like transparent glass and some more glow effects.

For the next one, I think I'll draw the guy in the background. Again he'll be based off the legends toys.

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I really enjoy this piece a lot. The angle is interesting and engaging, the robots are intriguing, and the work is well done. Also, I thoroughly enjoy the subtleties like the reflected light. Great work :thumb 

10. dsn1014

Thanks dude, I've been trying to push myself a little further lately and this is the result. This one took me about 5 hours to do from pencils to final colours, so I'll try take more time on the next one to see what it'll yield. I've seen some great pieces on this forum over the past number of weeks and I've been trolling through threads trying to study them to see what I can learn. Also I found the colouring tutorial posted by Rattrap587 recently to be a great resource for doing this. Just as soon as I can get on top of the work load I hope I can turn out a couple more in the same continuity.