Obscure Transformers.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TheDemonDzko, Mar 11, 2012.

1. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Optimus Prime, Megatron, Bumblebee, and Starscream. Those are the names we come to expect in every single Transformers series... Ever, always.

However, lately it seems that the second IDW gives an obscure Transformer a glimmer of limelight, people are on it like there is no tomorrow.

Now, I am by no means a fan of IDW I feel that for the most part the stories come off as "Yeah this is G1! Fans like G1! We are going to throw some plot twists that make the Autobots come off as Anti-Heros out there! Eff yeah! Drift!"

And... Really, I just don't get it.

For the best example. Last stand of the Wreckers.

It had TwinTwist and his twin Topspin. However, now you can't go on the Radicon forum without seeing the twins once a week. Now, I just do not see the appeal. They are one shot characters and even then, they are so obscure that I don't see the appeal.

It would be like... Having a comic all about Scrounge and then BLAM, dude is the new Devestator. I just... Do not understand it.

Is it just because we are so used to the usual offenders, that the second we don't see the same constant cast, that we are like "Holy shit! Something different!?" Or, what?

I'd like to read your opinions, because I am honestly at a loss trying to figure it out.

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Cybertron Crosswise - German accented Autobot Bounty/Monster Hunter that transforms into a Bugatti and inspired the Dracula lore.

3. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.

4. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    It's because the characters are engaging. Exciting. interesting. if it were your regular G1 guys, everyone would be happy cause chances are, they'd have a toy. Its the same reason we all wanted a Wheeljack toy-the character means something to us, so we go after the toy. I myself am on a personal vendetta to acquire toy representations of all of them because i like the characters, thus want the toys. That's how its always worked since G1, and is kind of the reason for wanting them now.

5. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twin Twist and Topspin Rock. They always have since the 80s. So does Scrounge. He deserves to be more popular than the borring Devastator IMO.

Anyway, two points:

1) They aren't all obscure in any way to me. Jumpstarters, Whirl and Roadbuster. Even Swerve I've known and loved for a long time. Alot of hardcore fans are like that, loving their favorite B and C list characters and toys more than the overused A listers. It's as much that the books finally used characters people already loved to their wonderful potential in stories as that they created new awesome characters to love. The book did both.

2) Last Stand of the Wreckers is one of the best TF stories ever and is widely beloved. Same with the current RiD and MtMtE series. They're beautifully written and people are thus super excited about the great characters they feature. These books have been wonderful about taking formally underexposed characters and bringing them to life with fun and exciting and engaging characterizations. How is it in anyway surprising that they are then new favorites?

-ZacWilliam, just because something hasn't captured your imagination doesn't mean it can't be wildly popular and being wildly popular make its characters new fan favorites. Certainly there's a huge list of LSotW and MtMtE characters that I now LOVE and want to see made after Roberts spectacular writing on these books. Good writing and great characterization = huge desire for toys of those guys.

6. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    This

Unicron Trilogy Red Alert - Autobot Medic with little desire to fight in the war, but continues to go into battle when he is needed. Lost his left hand in the earlier days of the war, and leaves it unreplaced as a reminder of the darkness and cruelty of war.

Demolishor - Decepticon Tank who starts out as being extremely loyal to Megatron, even going so far as to be a "Yes-Man". Begins to question the Decepticon cause, and if what the Decepticons are doing is what he wants for both himself and the universe.

7. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

I would rather see more obscure Transformers.

Too many new characters created just to make new toys.

Short list of characters I would like to see more from:
    Grapple, Sureshot, Huffer, Pipes, Octane, Female Transformers...

Hauler, he is not Grapple.
    Hauler (called "Hauler" in his one appearance) joined Ratchet and Cliffjumper in recovering Hound from the bottom of a ravine. He never spoke or transformed to robot mode. He was also yellow, which made him look like Grapple. More Than Meets the Eye, Part 1

Most of the Dinobots are there just to be part of the scenery, and to sell more toys.

Sunstorm was one of the Decepticon jets on Cybertron four million years ago. He shot at the Autobots Wheeljack and Bumblebee when they came near, and that's about it. More Than Meets the Eye, Part 1

Obscure Transformers

8. Autovolt 127

News Credits:
    I wouldn't call them obscure. They were main charecters in those series.

9. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Interner Soldier

News Credits:
    Landmine (Cybertron): The original "first" Autobot to come to Earth.

10. Stardust262

News Credits:
    I guess. I consider them obscure because they haven't been in prominent since 04/05

11. Autovolt 127

News Credits:
    But so are Rhinox or Dinobot since 99. And their still well remebered.

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Okay, I'm a little confused. You seem to be saying that you don't understand the appeal of Transformers stories that don't feature the same old central characters that have been seen in every series?

Well, uh... I don't know what to tell you. It's called variety. Generally people tend to like that. :) 

To echo what ZacWilliam already said, the other aspect is that for many of us, the larger panoply of G1 characters has ALWAYS been part of the appeal of the TF franchise. The fact that every one of the numerous G1 characters had a mostly distinct personality and role that made them characters in their own right was one of the things I loved about them. If I bought a cool looking gray helicopter guy, knowing that he was a sadistic interrogator with talent for wild acrobatics and the ability to create artificial tornadoes made him that much cooler. It made him more than just a toy.

So naturally, when some of these background characters get the spotlight, it's exciting and fun to see them in action. IDW isn't doing anything new here... Marvel made Ratchet into Megatron's most intimate arch-enemy, Ratbat the commander of the Decepticons (his tenure being among the longest in the series), and Blaster into a major character (who challenged Grimlock as leader of the Autobots).

Transformers has ALWAYS been about an ensemble cast. There is nothing that could possibly be more boring than a Transformers fiction that is limited to the same 8-10 characters over and over again. I love the core cast... don't get me wrong. But there are tons of secondary and tertiary characters that can bring so much more to the table.

New and interesting characters are going to excite people and make them fans of those characters. It's kind of a no-brainer.

Lastly, about IDW just turning the Autobots into a bunch of anti-heroes because that's "cool"... while I don't agree with every creative decision that IDW has made over the years, I think you're missing the point. Transformers isn't just for kids anymore... most of the fandom (at least the G1 fandom) are adults, who appreciate more nuanced, realistic or complex explorations of the old characters. Transformers was born in childhood, has gone through some adolescence, and is now flirting with maturity... so now we can accommodate a range of character types... from the boldly heroic, to the conflicted and misguided.

Arguably, if you actually expand your vision beyond the extremely limited constraints of the G1 cartoon (it always amazes me that some fans consider this to have been the "only" Transformers, when many of us grew up reading the UK and US comics, memorizing TechSpecs and playing with toys that weren't based on the same dozen characters), you'll see that Transformers was never just kid stuff.

There's a surprising amount of darkness and moral ambiguity in some of those old profiles. Bluestreak has PTSD. Sunstreaker is a sociopath. Huffer is clinically depressed. Mirage is one step away from being a mercenary. TwinTwist and Ramhorn are dangerous psychos. Sideswipe and Slag are basically violent criminal thugs. Trailbreaker has a crippling inferiority complex. Punch/Counterpunch is a paranoid schizophrenic. And those are all just Autobots. Some of the Decepticons are even more disturbing when you read into their bios a bit deeper.

In this day and age, black and white absolutes of right and wrong seem to be few and far between, especially when dealing with warfare and politics... Transformers is going to reflect that on some level, just as popular culture is always a reflection of the sensibilities of its time. It's what keeps things relevant.

IDW isn't always top notch, but they have (especially recently) done some interesting, well-written interpretations of classic (and quasi-obscure) characters. Unlike the "TO THE EXTREME!!!" hyperbole of the 90's dark anti-heroes, I think what we're getting in some of the IDW stories is a very distinct ambiguity. We don't love Prowl because he's so cold and calculating and we want to be him or look up to him as our hero... we like him because he's complicated, and it's hard to ascertain whether we should agree with him or not. His ambiguity becomes itself mentally stimulating. I'm not talking high intellectualism here... but even on some really basic, fundamental level, it makes us think a bit more.

And thinking is good, yo. ;) 

zmog

13. Stardust262

News Credits:
    True

Alright what about this:

Rampage - The Predacon crab who was an Experiment conducted by the Maximals to attempt to replocate Starscream's immortal spark. Originally known as "Protoform X, and the one who destroyed the colony that Depth Charge was suppose to defend. Even though he is insane and capable of extreme destruction, he still can surprisingly show compassion (in the case of Transmutate)

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    There's a ton of obscure characters with interesting designs, or compelling character traits or endearing histories or something, anything that makes them special to some people. So when they get another shot at the limelight, especially after sometimes what is decades in obscurity, and what truly made them great in the first place gets a chance to shine through, it's worth celebrating.

15. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think a lot of the Japanese only characters are obscure to fans unfamiliar with Tf outside of English speaking countries.

16. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    I want Barrage in something. Either FoC or Prime.

And Flatline.

17. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

What I was more so saying was the whole "IMPACTOR IS THE BEST TRANSFORMER EVER BECAUSE I REMEMBER HIM FROM MY CHILDHOOD" ... I'd just like to say. "Who the hell is Impactor, aside from LSOTW?"

18. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He was a major character in two important and popular UK Comic story lines and a huge motivating factor for the popular character Springer after that.

You seem to have some issue accepting a Transformer can be hugely popular from one story, or one episode or issue, or heck, one really well written bio or profile. But they can. That's what good writing does, makes favorite characters.

-ZacWilliam, Air time does not have to in anyway be connected to popularity. Nor does whether you personally know any of the characters well or not. Being a fan favorite can spring from many sources and is no less valid from any of them.

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Indeed. And the old Marvel comics made some hugely favourite characters out of toys that some people who only watched the G1 cartoon will never understand the why of. Thunderwing, Nightbeat, Straxus, the Wreckers (only now really getting their modern due because of LSOTW), and several others. Even cartoon-featured characters like Blaster, Goldbug and Ratchet are probably more fondly remembered by the old comic readers than the cartoon viewers because of the great service the comics did for them.

Personally I'm still witing for Flame (the mad Autobot scientist, not the Motivator guy) to get his big return to modern Transformers fame. Flame for next year's HoF! :D 

20. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I'd like Sludge to get a little more love, I know he's well known but he's not that fleshed out.
    Something more than just the third dinobot.

Stalker and Rotorstorm could also be epic.