Objectformers, Combine!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SettPrime, Nov 30, 2011.

1. SettPrime

SettPrime Combaticon

There has to be someone else out there who misses Objectformers. for those of you who don't know what I'm on about, I'll give a few examples.

G1 Blaster
    G1 Soundwave
    G1 Perceptor
    RotF Scalpel
    G1 Megatron

I miss them, because atleast they were imaginative. Everything now is a vehicle, sometimes four versions of the same vehicle. They don't even have any decent Beastformers anymore. Aside from Arachnid of course, love you girl. And I know the reasons I'll get. "Mass-Shifting is evil!" You're applying reality to a cartoon based on toys, stop it. There's also hasn't been a decent base transformer since RiD Fortress. And even that was just a redeco of a G1 toy! Wouldn't anyone love a Generations Omega Supreme? A Supreme Class Metroplex? So objectformer/Beastformer/Baseformer fans unite, and together we can form Objecticus and crush the non-believers!

Also, anyone have a suggestion about an objectformer you'd like to see? Or Beastformer. Don't discriminate!

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    What about that Mcdonalds toy or whatever that transformed into a pile or hard shit?

3. SettPrime

SettPrime Combaticon

Not counting McDonald's toys, I've never seen them release a decent TF toy I wanted.

4. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Didn't tftm have a ton of toy releases that were objects?

There are a ton of mp3 player styles and cell phones that could be used. Modern slr cameras would make for a cool version of reflector as a single bot.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Real Gear Robots is a cool subline. One time, I called my wife from a landline phone from work and told her I forgot my cell phone. I said I left it on my nightstand plugged in. I had her go to the bedroom to see if anyone had called. Little did she know that I had put my phone charger into Speed Dial 800 to play a prank on her. It was only until she picked it up that she knew that it wasn't a real phone. My laughter was real though :D 

6. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Those Burger and fries formers were awesome!

7. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Aww, SQ7 that's so mean! I mean, you would choose Speed Dial 800 of all transformers to prank your wife? Couldn't you have at least chosen a decent transformer? Namely, Speed Dial's black and red repaint Wire Tap (?). :lol 

Still, well executed. How'd you plug a phone charger into Speed Dial, though?
    ---------------

As for me, I do love object formers, but only if they're made well. Things like Soundwave were awesome, but Ejector is a mess. He would've benefited so much from a facelift. Seriously. I know, I'm gonna get flamed for this. :( 

Also gotta love the tapes, and Blockrock/Laserbeak, for transforming into...wherever it is that fits into Cybertron Soundwave's chest. Those hexpods were awesome.

Oh, and Signal Lancer was just plain epic. So much so, I had to make SK Index in honour of this pioneer of traffic light transformers. Just epic, that robot. Just so damn epic. :) 

I'll also give a shout out to Armada Grindor (the skateboard, don't you argue with me, the scooter's Sureshock), who is still to this day my favourite Minicon, for having a cool alt mode, wings on robot mode, a Minicon male connector on his back, and being a combiner part. Just so much awesomeness packed into that little guy. I suppose High Wire (Armada and Energon, bicycle and dirt bike, respecitively) also gets an honourable mention, and Sureshock (moped in Armada, quad bike in Energon) as well.

My DL Cheetor was also awesome before it disappeared in my aunt's home in Hong Kong. :( 

As for my wish list, someone give me a Sports Label that turns into a pair of Ice Skates or rollerblades.

8. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Superquad7 I applaud your assholiness. Well-played sir, well-played.

9. Superquad7

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

I stick the male end of the charger between the flip phone portion.

If I had used Highline 1070, it would have been obvious, as I owned a gray flip phone at the time. It didn't look exactly like Speed Dial 800, but I just needed it to pass until she picked it up.

*takes a bow*

I'm sure I have other stories, I just can't remember 'em all right now. It's probably for the best since I like sleeping in my own bed.

10. Treadshot A1

I pulled the same speed dial trick on my cousin, when I said to him that that day i was going to get a new phone by renewing my phone contract.

Not as elaborate as yours SQ7, but fun nonetheless.

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    You should have took it to your cell phone provider and pulled a trick.

12. jerminator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I would guess the Device Label and Music Label series count as objectformers too.

13. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    didn't it only have like 4 or so?

14. Grandum

News Credits:
    Mhum, and the shoes, don't forget about them as well.

15. Treadshot A1

No, more than that. Granted, a hell of a lot of repaints, but off the top of my head, first uses of molds were:

Spy Shot 6
    High Score 100
    Booster x10
    Speed Dial 800
    Longview
    Zoom Out 25X
    Meantime
    Power Up VT6

Each mold was repainted at least once, some twice.

16. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Yeah, I love Objectformers.

They are growing increasingly uncommon... technically Targetmasters fit as well, I do like those.

I really like the change of pace they provide. Cars, jets, tanks are a dime-a-dozen, but the objectformers are really pretty unique. Even the occasional ones that share an alt-mode are pretty unique (no one's going to be confusing Scalpel and Perceptor). Plus, I enjoy posing other TFs using them (MP Prime using Titanium Soundwave as a boombox takes two figures I don't like much and turns them AWESOME).

Shame that in DotM we're lucky to get anything as exotic as a fighter jet, let alone a decent objectformer.

17. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

I have to agree with some of the sentiments here. There are only so many cars and tanks I can handle. I get buyer's fatigue when there's no variety.

Obviously the current trend is driven by sales data and focus testing. But the homogenous nature of current TF lines destroys the appeal of popular products as they lose their individuality.

I loved the first couple of Alternators/ Binaltech, but I wasn't surprised to see it end. It got boring fast.

Microchange toys may have made the G1 cartoon too abstract for some. But it made some great toys IMO.
    Real Gears were simple and fun basics, but no characters were featured in supporting media, so were bound to fade into obscurity.

18. jerminator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Lol Soundwinder, I can totally see that! I tend to pose MP Starscream playing Animated Laserbeak.

19. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Love objectformers :D 
    The Real Gear line is the only movie related line I've collected, it's pretty awesome. The only problem I had with them was that the alt modes were a little too small in some cases.
    a dream would be objectformers who transform into life-sized objects. Like a huge boombox Blaster that could fit real cassettes.

20. Grandum

News Credits:
    ah ok, now I know - thanks