Obi-Wan Kenobi, Class 1 - Star Wars Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ViceGripX, Jul 19, 2011.

1. ViceGripX

ViceGripX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro first tried crossing Star Wars characters and vehicles with the Transformers concept back in 2006. The first few offerings seemed sub-standard to me and it wasn’t a line of toys I would pursue. Rather, I’d pick one up on occasion and would either be left with a “meh” feeling or regretting my purchase. In 2011, a new scale was introduced, comparable to the Commander Class of the Transformers Cyberverse line, and the fun has finally hit Star Wars Transformers. I find myself especially taken with the new, smaller Obi-Wan Kenobi.

“Flying his starfighter, Obi-Wan Kenobi hunts down General grievous, then changes his Jedi vehicle into a mech to finish the battle with Grievous, lightsaber to lightsaber.” – Taken from the figure’s packaging.

swtf obi-wan (1).JPG 003.JPG

Obi-Wan’s Jedi Starfighter is the Delta-7B Aethersprite-class light interceptor used during the Clone Wars. It’s molded in beige and red with the same colors used in paint to give the ship the look it has in the cartoon. There are maroon panels near the back and silver is used to decorated the canopy windows and engines. On the starboard side is the symbol of the Republic and, what appears to be, R2-D2 is nestled in the droid socket. It should be painted to match R4-P17 as the packaging indicated, but there’s no denying that silver dome with blue panels. The two lightsabers Kenobi comes with can be stored one under each wing with the blades mostly exposed to look like laser fire. He also has a front landing gear that pivots down, though looking underneath gives away almost the entire mech mode.

swtf obi-wan (2).JPG 004.JPG

To convert the Jedi Starfighter into mech mode, raise the back of the craft up and over the front of the canopy. Fold the panels with the engines back and swing out the arms. Split apart the front of the craft and flip the red and beige sections around. Flip the feet down and arm him with his lightsabers. Obi-Wan resembles a mech version of his character in the Clone Wars outfit he’s known to wear in that series with the tan Jedi robes and upper torso and shoulders covered in white armor. Other portions of his arms and legs are molded in dark blue. His forearms have white armor cuffs and black fingers. The head is very well sculpted and evokes the image of a mechanical Obi-Wan Kenobi. While molded in beige, his hair and beard are painted brown, his face silver, and eyes blue. As for articulation, Kenobi has a swivel joint at the neck, ball-sockets at the shoulders, swivels and hinges at the elbows, ball-sockets at the hips and knees, and pivots at the ankles. I’m no expert on lightsaber hilts, but I believe the two lightsabers he comes with have the correct hilt with silver, gold, and black paint in the right places. The blades are a clear, smoky blue. Finally, the panel in the center of hs chest flips upward. This is an undocumented feature and leads me to wonder if he will combine with something else further down the line.

swtf obi-wan (3).JPG

Of the initial wave of the smaller Star Wars Transformers, Obi-Wan Kenobi is my favorite. Even though this is a downgrade size wise, this is a much better toy than the larger counterpart.

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    inb4scourgerepaint

... seriously though, +rep on the review, and I'd be curious to know if he combines with something as well.

3. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    Obi-Wan Kenobi and Hatchet.....best team EVER!!!!!!

4. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Well-Known Member

That's...surprisingly less dippy-looking than I was expecting. I would be interested to see what comes of any figures not based on named characters - in the previous SWTF line, the generics seemed a little better (for the most part). Magnaguard was about the peak.

5. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Whhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaatt in the hail? WOW that blows away the larger figure! Wonder if a different design team is working on these Class 1 figures.

6. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    Yup. I reviewed the Grevious one too, and I think the Class I figures are great. Regrettably I didn't go out to get the other two like I should have, so hopefully they're still at the Target. Perhaps I should've started with Obi-Wan. I've always liked Obi-Wan as a character in the new and old trilogy. This one will be the second one I get for sure.

7. CyrDraconis

Searchfail. Greivous, Kenobi, who else for wave 1? I presume an Anakin somewhere.

8. ViceGripX

News Credits:
    Yup. First wave includes Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Grievous.

9. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    Class I Grievous. I'm on the fence about Anakin only because I never liked his character...ever.

10. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I see much mini Sweeps goodness here for my Gen Scourge

@TrueNomadSkies::wink: 

11. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

Oh yeah! A little bit of paint and we got an ARMY of SWEEPS coming at ya!
    (I don't think I"ve ever been excited about a crossover toy before!)

12. astrakhan

astrakhan Well-Known Member

Re: combining--I wonder if they're going to do a repackage with the hyperdrive ring?

13. CyrDraconis

Ah, three-figure wave. Got it.

And yeah, I can certainly see hte potential for Sweeps here...got a Scourge handy for comparison?

14. ViceGripX

News Credits:
    I don't as I'm out and about at the moment, but I'll snap a pic or two when I get home.

15. cobracobra

cobracobra Well-Known Member

Just saw these in my local Target yesterday. Looked neat but I wont touch that stuff with a ten foot pole, its too weird for my tastes.

16. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great review. I have all three. Picked them up out of curiosity. All three have the flip up chest piece, I was trying to figure out what it could be for, but maybe you are on to something about the combining with something else aspect. I agree with your opinion about the lightsaber hilts being correct, and in fact, they are different from Anakin's.

17. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ... How in the hell have they managed to make a Scout-sized figure better than any of the rest of the line? I'll be grabbing Obi-tron for sure!

18. ViceGripX

News Credits:
    Added the pics to the main review, but here they are:
    003.JPG 004.JPG

19. saberconvoy

saberconvoy Well-Known Member

ya, i doubt i'll ever be a fan of this toyline

20. zopilote_z

zopilote_z Well-Known Member

I´ll miss ol´Chubby Wan Kenobi