NYC Recommendations

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mark_h, Aug 8, 2007.

1. mark_h

mark_h Well-Known Member

A little bit off topic i know, but im going to New York on my hols in a couple of weeks (from the UK) and i wondered if any guys would be kind enough to recommend anywher ei could pick up some tfs, or even general fun things to do!
    cheers!

2. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Image Anime sometimes has some neat stuff. Its by Penn station.
    Image Anime Co. Ltd
    103 West 30th Street
    New York, NY 10001

Midtown comics is fun, not that great for toys, but they have lots of comics and trades and such. fun place to browse.
    2 locations

Midtown Comics Times Square
    200 W 40th Street (Corner of 7th Avenue)
    New York, NY 10018

Midtown Comics Grand Central
    459 Lexington Avenue (Corner of 45th Street)
    New York, NY 10017

Theres also a place i like that used to be called Empire Comics. Its on one of the streets at the base of the empire state building, but the changed their name and I don't remember it so i can look up an address. also if you like Nintendo, the Nintendo Store is pretty fun. And Toys R Us at Times Square has a giant T Rex which is awesome, and might have some decent toys.

If you like Japanese cultureish things, LMK. theres bookstores worth stopping in, and a pastry shop thats amazing, plus a cafe thats good for lunch.

Also a few places in china town. My favorite resteraunt in WoHop on Mott street. don't remember the number, but theres 2 places named WoHop right next to each other. I prefer the one thats underground as opposed to the one at street level. Theres also a small mall called the Elizabeth center on Elizabeth street. if you go down stairs theres lots of anime toy shops and import game places and model shops. theres also a video game store across the street from it.

Thats all I can think of for now.

3. FortressMaximus1976

FortressMaximus1976 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Here's another store...not a ton of TF's but some choice stuff.

Toy Tokyo Retail Store
    121 2nd Ave 2F. NYC, NY 10003
    Phone: 212.673.5424
    FAX: 212.673.5450
    Store hours:: everyday 1PM-9PM
    sales@toytokyo.com

There is also a store next to them with tons of vintage collectible stuff from all types of collecting: TF, Star Wars, etc..but their name escapes me at this time, if someone remembers please post it.

4. FortressMaximus1976

FortressMaximus1976 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    And Mark_H, just a heads up for you, depending on when you get to the city,
    Image Anime will relocate to 242 West 30th Street, on September 1st. The last time I was there I was informed that, and also, its noted on their website.

Peace

5. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    There's some cool places in the East Village, but I wont list more than the few toy stores and let you find the rest for yourself. Take the 6 Subway downtown and get off at Astor. Walk east on St. Marks and you'll see St.Marks Comics which is a pretty cool store with plenty of old and new toys as well as comics. When you get to 2nd Ave and St Marks head south and you should hit Toy Tokyo.

In Union Square/14th Street, walk south on Broadway for a block or so and you'll see Forbidden Planet. It's a fun place to walk through but not many TFs in stock. They do sell cool Lucha Libre masks for about $30.

As far as cool things around the city, take the A/C/D/B to West 4th and check out Greenwich Village. Lots of bars and a few Jazz clubs. Bleeker Bob's on Bleeker and MacDougal is a great record and vinyl shop with tons of awesome bootlegs of some bands like the Stones, the Beatles, and Bob Dylan. Ask someone for directions to Bleeker Pizza, it's pretty amazing stuff.

Farther south, off the Grand stop on the D/B is Chinatown. You wont find a whole lot of KO knockoffs but the Pho place on 277 Grand is awesome and super cheap.

Just north-east of Chinatown on LaFayette is the Lower East Side. Arlene's grocery is a fun place for 80's rock Karoeke.

If you walk north-west towards Chelsea from Greenwch you can do the art gallery hopping thing (I think it's on 11th or 13th street and 10th Ave) which is fun on Saturdays. Uptown, at the Whitney Museum, there's a kickass 60's psychadelic art exhibit going on right now.

This isnt even including Brooklyn, which is where I live. In either case I hope you get here when the weather is nice because today a 90 degree thunderstorm took out most of the Subway system. Be prepared to sweat above and especially underground.

Oh, and in case you couldnt tell, I love New York :rock 

6. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Brooklyn represent!

7. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

Is Anime Crash still around? I used to go there back when the Real World was on season 1 or 2. I remember cause a friend and I saw 'Puck' there. :)  It was by the Tower Records/Tower Books stores downtown. It was a great stop. Dunno if it still is.

At the time, it was one of 3 places in NY that knew what japanese animation was. ah, good times, payin 35.00 for an AD Vision 30min flick which is part 1 of 3, 6 or of 10 volumes. :) 

Kid Robot is another great spot to check out. 126 Prince Street by NYU.

8. Nerdling

Ebay:
    Best Tacos and Burritos are at Tacos Nuevo Mexico. There's one on 5th Ave between 11th and 12th in Park Slope and another farther down in Sunset Park between 44th and 45th.

9. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nope. closed down many years ago. >_<

10. mark_h

mark_h Well-Known Member

Cheers guys,
    I really really appreciate it, and im sure to check out a few of those places, especially the tacos, nowhere in the uk sells them!

11. XJunky

XJunky Howdy Ho Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

There's a vintage store called "Love will save the day" or something like that, right next door to Toy Tokyo. Last time I was in there they had quite a few boxed and loose G1s.

~X

12. Nerdling

Ebay:
    Oh those are in Brooklyn! You'll have to take the D or N to Atlantic/Pacific in Brooklyn and transfer to the Bay Ridge-bound R train. Get off at 9th Street and you should be at 9th and 4th Ave. The taco place is on 5th Ave between 11th and 12th street.

The Mexican food (the pastor tacos and burritos, as well as the carne asada nachos are amazing) is worth the trip to Brooklyn but I recommend going on a day when you're not tired of being all over Manhattan. There's a nice little cafe south of that on 11th street. It's a nice walk through all the brownstone neighborhoods if you head east on 11th towards Prospect Park.