[NYC] Final: #1 Whirl vs #2 Hot Spot

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Sep 17, 2009.

?

[NYC] Final: #1 Whirl vs #2 Hot Spot

Poll closed Sep 20, 2009.
  1. Whirl

66.1%
  2. Hot Spot

33.9%
  1. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    New York City Championship

Final: #1 Seed Whirl vs #2 Seed Hot Spot

Voting ends at 11:59 pm(CT), September 20th, 2009.

BRACKET LINK:
    http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff339/bosskdawg/tourny-2.jpg

Tournament History

How they got here:

Whirl defeated: Swerve, Slingshot, & Topspin

Hot Spot defeated: Blurr, Blades & Rampage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WHIRL

ALLEGIANCE: Autobot
    FUNCTION: Aerial Assault

"If used logically, madness makes a great weapon."

Profile: Loves his job... careens across sky spinning and weaving wild, crazy patterns. Believes enemies are more terrified of him if he acts wild during an attack.

Abilities: Flies at 400 mph, range 1600 miles. Amazing maneuverability... can fly at almost any angle. Carries four incendiary-shell cannons hi-energy photon beam rifle. Great strength as a robot... has null-ray module on hand, paralyzo box on leg.

Weaknesses: Reckless... prone to rotor blade damage.

HOT SPOT

ALLEGIANCE: AUTOBOT
    SUB-GROUP: PROTECTOBOT
    FUNCTION: PROTECTOBOT LEADER

"The hotter things get, the better I like it."

Profile: Hot Spot likes to be where the action is. Whether he's trying to put out a fire or win a war, as long as he's surrounded by a swirl of movement he's happy. He fights with a fluid instinctiveness that seemingly overrides any carefully measured analysis within his logic circuitry. His leadership is charismatic and inspiring; the other Protectobots can't help but perform beyond their abilities when in his company. However, sometimes they have difficulty keeping up with his non-stop pace. His philosophy is to be maximally operational every moment of his life. Or, as he likes to phrase it, "There are always junkyards for those who rust!"

Abilities: In his fire truck mode, Hot Spot can travel at 90 mph and has a range of 600 miles. His hose line can shoot streams of high-pressure water (and other non-corrosive fluids, such as oil and alcohol) an effective distance of 1200 feet. In robot mode, he possesses incredible strength: he can press 60,000 pounds. He uses a fireball cannon, which can shoot bursts of 2000 degrees Fahrenheit blue flame a distance of 1.5 miles. A special vanadium-steel alloy shields him from temperatures of up to 5000 degrees Fahrenheit. He combines with his fellow Protectobots to form the giant robot known as Defensor.

Weaknesses: Hot Spot's ladder sometimes jams, locking into position when extended. His fireball cannon often backfires, releasing large amounts of the flammable liquid that powers it. Hot Spot himself is invulnerable to the liquid's effects, but the liquid can cause considerable fire-damage to anything around him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tech Spec Breakdown

Strength:
    Whirl:8 Hot Spot:9
    Intelligence:
    Whirl:8 Hot Spot:7
    Speed:
    Whirl:8 Hot Spot:4
    Firepower:
    Whirl:8 Hot Spot:7
    Skill:
    Whirl:8 Hot Spot:6
    Endurance:
    Whirl:8 Hot Spot:9
    Courage:
    Whirl:9 Hot Spot:9
    Whirl:6 Hot Spot:7

2. BurnedAlive

BurnedAlive Horrorcon

Whirl. hot spot doesnt stand a chance

3. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Whirl would win with ease stats-wise.

4. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Got to go with Whirl.

5. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    This is where Whirl shows Blades what a real helicopter can do :D 

6. PB379

PB379 Autobot

I think this pretty much sums up Whirl. Just like Blades, only stronger faster smarter and better.

As strong and powerful as Hot Spot is, I don't think he will make it through this battle, unless he can shoot down Whirl with his Fireball Cannon. If Hotspot can get Whirl on the ground, I think it will be a much more even battle.

7. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Well most of you guys already know my stance on a helicopter battle over NYC.

But I still give the fight to Whirl.

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    got to go with whirl he will , at the risk of a pun blow hot spot away

9. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Damn, I voted for Hot Spot on accident. I meant to give it to the bot on skis.

10. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Whirl. End of Story.

Next contest, please?

EDIT: On a side note, just noticed it ends on the 21st...Must not get too carried away with celebrations, then...MUST REMEMBER THREAD!!!

11. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Whirl. No contest here.

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Sort of sad to see HotSpot lose it so completely in a one-sided battle... but he is pretty much outclassed here.

Whirl's stats are amazing, but when combined with things like his agility, flight powers, and unconventional weaponry, it makes him a really tough one to beat.

If by "even" you mean Whirl is still smarter, more skillful and carries better weapons... sure. :) 

While I agree that Whirl looks like he might be a little less mobile on the ground, I think he still dominates here. HotSpot's one chance would be if he lucks out and gets close enough to go all WWF on Whirl. That's about the only scenario where I could give Hotspot the advantage, and making that happen would not be easy for him.

Whirl. :) 

zmog

13. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Okay! Let's take a look...at...

Crud.

Smarter, much faster, better guns, more skilled by 2.

Ouch. 1 point more each in strength and endurance just isn't going to cut it for Hot Spot.

As SMOG stated, Whirl's flight, maneuverability, and unusual weaponry just pile it on even more.

I can't see Hot Spot doing more than making a good showing here. Anywhere he can go, Whirl can follow, even if he has to land and transform. But outside of a tunnel, Whirl can stay above the rooftops, head down streets above the level of the wires, "hop" over buildings to reach other areas. Whirl, on the other hand, can move away, gain altitude, and attack again when he wants. he can also slow his opponent before attacking, or if he just wants to put some serious distance between the two of them. The city is a playground for both of these fighters, but far moreso for Whirl.

- Coeloptera

Huh, Hot Spot fought Blades? I must have missed that one.

14. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Whirl!

15. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, 2nd round as the order indicates. It was a sad time for the Protectobots as they had made it through the 1st round pretty well (the 2 team pacifists lost, but, well, that has a tendency to happen to pacifists in battle, except Sgt. York). Streetwise had the bad luck of coming up against Silverbolt and the other two remaining Protectobots were forced to fight it out.

The luck of the draw has not been kind to the Protectobots in this tournament.

I mean what cruel, cruel being would pit a completely pacifistic medic like First Aid against an engine of destruction like Brawl, who doesn't know the meaning of the word 'surrender' (no, I mean like Brawl doesn't seem to have a high-enough Intelligence to comprehend the meaning of the word itself). :D 

World Wildlife Federation? How does saving endangered species help Hot Spot against Whirl? :wink: 

I think 'not easy' is an understatement here. Whirl would probably be a little awkward in robot mode (since he can't ski in NYC, although I could see him doing a slalom down the side of a building if he gets knocked out of the air), but this is also where he has the weapons that stops other bots from moving. One hit from those weapons and the fight is effectively over for Hot Spot. Even if they only affect a bot for a minute or two, Whirl can remember to "re-dose" Hot Spot while he's gradually pounding the Protectobot leader into a definitive victory.

I don't see this match as being completely one-sided, as I do think that Whirl will probably get knocked out of the air by a high-pressure water blast (well, hosing, actually) from Hot Spot (yeah, that sort of thing will definitely cut out Whirl's ability to fly effectively), due to Whirl's noted weakness of being reckless (combined with his crazy flying patterns, it seems very likely to bring him in range of Hot Spot's hose).

It's still definitely going to end in Whirl's favor, though, due to Whirl's more unique weapons as I mentioned in the paragraph before last.

While I don't anticipate too much discourse on this particular match, I would like to make a note here for Whirl's future match(es). I put it in the main tournament thread, but I don't know how many of those who would look over the in-progress tournament threads would check that. The note is that Whirl's selection of weapons has a limitation. It's not a huge limitation, but it is one that could make a difference in certain situations, nonetheless.

That limitation is that Whirl's damaging weapons are only available in his vehicle mode, while his paralyzing weapons are only available in robot mode.

SMOG brought up the point when I noted this that those damaging weapons are mounted on his "winglets" in vehicle mode, which are present in his robot mode. I didn't post a response there since I knew this match was coming up. SMOG is entirely correct in what he points out, but there is one problem with that. If the damaging weapons are mounted to the "winglets" (located on his legs) in his robot mode, they're stuck pointing directly up. Since the weapons are unguided, this makes them effectively useless, except in a very tiny set of circumstances.

Like I said, it makes no difference here (as Whirl still wins without having to even consider this limitation), but it could become a factor that needs to be considered in Whirl's future match(es).

16. Tacitron

Tacitron An exceptional nut sack

Ebay:
    I enjoy the contests more when (I at least think) there's something to debate about. I don't like Whirl cause I think he's goofy looking... we'll then again, Hot Spot's toy isn't really a bowl of fruit either... but this ain't about aesthetics. Whirl's got an edge in too many categories, and he can fly. I'll take the flier with the skill and firepower edge over a ground and pounder almost any day. If Hotspot had a better weapon, even something that might ground or reel in Whirl, I'd give him a good chance. But that's not the case here.

Glad to see Hot Spot get a few votes, though.

17. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

On the contrary, i'd much prefer a complete shutout, considering no-one' really convinced me of a way of Hot Spot winning. And no, Smog's World Wildlife Federation thing is just way too unlikely...

18. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

[​IMG]

That is all.

- Coeloptera

19. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

Well, I'm going down in flames on this one. I know damn well Whirl would most likely take this but quite frankly can't bring myself to vote for him. Plain and simple, just not a big fan. So I'll lose by voting for Hotspot, whom I actually kinda dig, but I'll lose comfortably because like Coeloptera stated "He'll make a good showing". I do however like Whirl's alt mode and wish there were more TF's with this disguise.

20. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

Btw, how will the final four play out? What I mean by this is will Whirl face the guy across from him or the one below him in the next round?