Numbers

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by CVprowl, Apr 14, 2012.

1. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i was just wondering what info you guys have about the production run numbers of some of these figures.

for example, the hasbro ironhide and ratchet (i believe they were universe) originally they sold slowly, but once they were gone the prices in the secondary market rose substantially. so much so that when i preordered the igear ratchet and ironhide i was able to ebay my universe open loose complete pair to help pay for a substantial part of it.

so do we get any official productions numbers from ANY of these companies (has/tak, 3rd parties) or is it just our own speculation?

what do you think the numbers of those original hasbro (ratchet and ironhide) plus the takara versions will look like when compared to the numbers of the igear release?

i dont mean to dedicate the whole conversation to the ironhide ratchet situation. id be interested in hearing any info on the topic of production numbers on transformers period. :) 

2. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i thought of another good question... how do you think the numbers on the hasbro utra magnus (the 2 pack with skywarp) compare with the numbers on the fp city commander armor? did that 2 pack have a low production run anyway? i know they were easily obtained when they were out there at retail...

3. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Thats why I always thought FP and Hasbro wear working together....

as for production numbers...Im sure each are the same amount with th exception of bumblebee...but figures get cancelled because retailers don't want them...but a few slip into stores, but a new season comes calls for new toys...but this is my assumption...

4. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    That's a good question.. They don't mind telling us what the numbers are for limited edition figures. But I never see any numbers for regular releases.

5. mentok27

mentok27 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well..... That Magnus/skywarp 2 pack would have had a decent production run but was a poor seller which means it would have been put on clearance and bought up by non-fans and such.... It wasn't untill the FP set came out and all that reduced retail stock was gone that fan demand kicked in.... But by then it was too late. If you had the set already you were set but all those who passed on it... Or weren't collecting then had to pay the inflated secondary market. Of course the fact the Takara didnt release a Magnus or cliffjumper has added an extra demand as well.

Ratchet and ironhide are odd though.... Less logical anyway.

But!!!! What's important to remember with 3rd party gear is unlike hasbro who have to turnover bulk quantities of "new" figs to retailers all the time rarely looking back, 3rd party companies can always go back and make more figs in small number.... Hell they've got the molds they want to sell as many as they can... There's no logical reason for them to ever just stop and let the secondary market price skyrocket. Fansproject seem to be the exception to this.... It's hard to fathom why since the demand has led to KO companies coming in and picking up the demand for themselves....

Oh well. But yeah there's no reason why TFC herc for instance should ever cost more than it did at release.

6. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

good points all around. :) 

7. Genetic

Genetic Morg Than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Production numbers do vary because that's what makes sales for Hasbro. If you take an assortment, let's say of Thunderwing, Kup and Blurr well we know that Kup and Blurr will sell well while Thunderwing won't be so popular as only diehards will know who he is. So if Hasbro make them in equal numbers and release them equally, the stores will order loads of Kup and Blurr but no Thunderwings. That's where mixed assortments come from.

So you'll have in a case of 12, 6 Thunderwings, 3 Blurr and 3 Kup. That way the retailer has to buy more than they would of Thunderwing to fill demand for the 2 popular characters. Its standard in the toy industry, so a pegwarmer isn't necessarily made in the same quantities as more popular characters, but it's Hasbro has deliberately made retailers by more of it to generate profit.

As Mentok said, the Magnus/Skywarp 2 pack wasn't a decent seller at all and went to clearance. Bluestreak, Sideswipe and Ironhide did too, a local store was selling them for £3 each (around $4) which means they then get bought (as Mentok said) by non collectors like kids. The toys then end up in bins or charity shops and don't turn up on the secondary market.

8. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

waitaminute, so youre saying hasbro deliberately puts more of an unpopular character in a case versus the popular characters? thats what it looks like your saying, what am i missing here? that doesnt make sense?

9. Genetic

Genetic Morg Than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Yeah they deliberately put in more of an unpopular character to sell more units. Using the example above of a case of 12, with 6 Thunderwings, 3 Blurr and 3 Kup, if a retailer has preorders for 24 Kups, 8 Blurrs and 2 Thunderwings then they'd need to buy 8 cases to fill the orders for Kup.

If however Habro released cases which were 12 of the same figure, the retailer would need 2 cases of Kup, 1 of Blurr and 1 of Thunderwing to fill the orders, which is a total of 4 cases.

By mixing the cases Hasbro sell far more because retailers need to order a lot more to get the quantity of the popular characters.

TFs are actually in cases of 8 but the same principle applies. In fact if you scroll down the page here you'll see the case breakdown -
    Transformers Generations Deluxe Figures Wave 5 - Hasbro - Transformers - Transformers at Entertainment Earth

1x Red Alert
    1x Dirge
    2x Thunderwing
    2x Skullgrin
    2x Cliffjumper (War for Cybertron)

So in that assortment, Cliffjumper and Skullgrin were already out and retailers didn't need more. The new figures there were Thunderwing, Dirge and Red Alert, of which the last 2 would be the more popular because they are better known characters and they are the only ones which are 1 per case.

So in this example the retailer has to buy in 4 figures they already have stocked and 2 of a minor character to get 1 of each of the in demand characters. It's a really crap way of doing things from the retailer's point of view but it makes Hasbro a ton of money.

10. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wherever production numbers are known I enter it into the Wikialpha article on the character, in the toy section, like the Motion Cryptotype Base with Rollout Drone (the clear Classic Optimus Prime trailer) limited to 350 units.

Mobile Command Base - WikiAlpha