Numbers Stations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ops_was_a_truck, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Something neat for the spook enthusiasts out there:

Numbers Stations

These are radio stations, located throughout the world, that broadcast a constant buzz, a blank tone or old music AND THEN, out of nowhere, just broadcast random numbers, letters and words. Possibly, these are codes for spies. No one is really sure. There are some cases where the US has used recordings of numbers stations to bust foreign spies, but the US itself has never attested to having or using any numbers stations.

One relatively well-known station is UVB-76, a tower in Russia that emits a constant buzz, EXCEPT for the only three transmissions it has ever made in its almost 20 years of operation.

Kinda neat, kinda spooky.

2. comaface

comaface Crush, kill, destroy

I remember reading about these before; for some reason it creeps the shit out of me. It reminds me, on some weird level, of the time I worked for a day in a basement warehouse clearing out mountains of old boxes full of 20 year-old readouts of computer diagnostics that had never been read and never would be. They were described to me as "dead information" and for whatever reason the term, and the very idea, makes me uneasy as hell.

3. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It seems sad that in the age where information is absolutely the most powerful commodity, there can be dead information.
    even trivia about obscure stuff, which i love to read, has value. or in this case, a life.

But who would monitor one of those stations for days hoping for a chirp of jibberish- even as a creepy distraction?

4. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    Weird. :crazy: 

And crazy that that's there.

5. comaface

comaface Crush, kill, destroy

I can't speak for the group as a whole, but I met an amateur shortwave radio operator once, and he was very... obsessive about his hobby.

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Actually, most of these guys monitoring the numbers stations aren't monitoring them all day. They'll set up a PC to record hour-long bursts from the station repeatedly until something interesting pops up. Usually, you can find sound programs that look for something like, I dunno, human voices or a break in an established pattern - that's usually how they find this stuff.

I don't really think these guys sit there and slave over their radio junk for days on end, waiting for a change in the numbers stations. I think they've probably just got equipment set up to do it.

I listened to some excerpts from "The Conet Project" last night - an album some guy did that's basically Numbers Stations set to techno - that was pretty awesome. Freaky, too.