Nub questions about the Classics line

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by lerath666, Mar 19, 2009.

1. lerath666

lerath666 Autocon Vs Deceptibot

So, the classics line originaly came out as a space filler before the first movie, was canceled during the moive and came back after.

Do we already know if Hasbro will be repeating this practice again with the second movie? i understand not wanting to compete with themselves for shelf space, but I really dislike the movie designs. I liked the movie, and enjoeyd it for what it was, but I do not like the Transformers movie designes enough to actualy buy toys of them.

If they're going away for a bit, it's a good thing for me, mainly becuase i've just gottne back into transformers for the first time in close to 15 years, so i can get caught up on the classics figures while the movie line is in full swing.

Next question :
    If the classics line continues, will we ever see g1 homage figures of characters like jazz, Wheeljack, Arcee, Kup, and many of the others who seem to have been overlooked so far? or is their lack of presence due to some lack of popularity?

Someone educate me, please :) 

2. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    Your guess is as good as any.

3. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There has been no official word on the continuation of Universe/Classics after the movie, but my bet is that it most definitely WILL continue in some fashion. The line has been a huge success (as it was last time round) and Hasbro know this. They're not stupid, despite what some fans think.

I think a break from the line is fine. Unlike the wailers and gnashers of teeth, I can see advantages. For new collectors like yourself, there's the obvious advantage you've already given.

If/when it does come back, I think you'll be guaranteed for a Jazz or Wheeljack. I don't think others have been "overlooked" - Hasbro has to release these in some sort of order. If Jazz and Wheeljack had been released, people would be saying "where's Hound and Sideswipe?! Hasblow suckkksss!!!"

Nothing really to do with popularity. Some of the reasoning behind the order include:

-Being able to reuse moulds for multiple characters (e.g. Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen, Ironhide/Ratchet, Sunstreaker/Sideswipe)

- The presence of a similar Transformers toy with the same name in "Animated". This was the reason given for Jazz's delay (but didn't affect Prowl, as Animated Prowl was a completely different vehicle design)

4. lerath666

lerath666 Autocon Vs Deceptibot

ok, good to know. perhaps with the advent of animated Arcee, we'll see one of her. and perhaps perceptor, and the list goes on and on and on and on......

5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think for legal and business reasons they can't tell us what they have up their sleeves but so far in advanced. It's likely hard at this point to know exactly what demand will be like for the toys from the second movie so my guess is they can't really be totally prepared for the post movie figures until demand for the movie toys has slowed down.

They have given some hints here and there that would seem to indicate that we should see the return of classics/universe at some point but they just can't say when right now and if they can't say when then they can't say who would be in the line up.

Fingers crossed the reason they have been holding back things like a deluxe sized classic style Jazz is because they wanted to save back some figures the fans would go crazy for on a better late than never big 25th line.

With an extra year between live action movies and the fate of a Transformers cartoon sort of up in the air I think the chances of seeing a return of something like the classics/universe line are really good. Even if Hasbro right now can't say just hang in there guys the stuff you want is coming.

But darn that wait is a killer when you don't know how long the wait will last. Maybe by next year's Toy Fair they can tell us something.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I find that very hard to believe. It's because they don't want to, for whatever reasons. Other companies not only "show" their hands in ways that seem foreign to Hasbros TF division, but companies like DCD not only do I know what'll be available in September, but I know the case ratios as well. Even Mattel we know their late summer lineups already for some of their products and will know their fall lineups shortly.

Nor is it due to "spoilers", since toys like Devastator and more have already appeared in ToyFare and on TV.

I'd speculate that it's either due to internal conflcits/footdraging/product or brand uncertainty. Really, there is no excuse for us being unsure if there's going to be another wave of Animated, if Classics are going to return, or how long ROTF will be on the shelves. Each and every one of those decisions should have been made last year, and we should know about them by this point.

My bet is that ROTF will be the product on the shelves from their release date through the rest of the year. There will be a few Universe/Classics branded exclusives, but that's probably it. Then sometime in Jan/Feb we'd get the return of Universe/Classics 3.0.

As for who gets released when, it seems that the earlier G1 lineups and the "big names" from other eras are "up to bat first".

7. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ummm...what reasons would those be, exactly?

8. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    alot of confidence in Hasbro, huh?

but really-maybe its cause of the economy-maybe they're on the verge of going under and plan to use the movie to get back up, then see what they can do from there.

9. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, not really. Ha.

10. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

Hasbro are idiots, look at past sucessful lines to see this (I.E alternators for 1 example) im guessing the movie will be the end of CLASSICS but im pretty Sure Takara will keep the Henkei line alive, at least longer than Hasbro does anyway. i mean for christ sake Hasbro is giving us crap designes we DONT want such as Armada hotshot?...WTF!? and badly colored Dinobot and wierd ass mould cheetor!? WTF WE WANT JAZZ/GRAPPLE and other G1 figures! thats the WHOLE point of the classics line! not to bring in losers from other series who DONT count in the classics line. If hasbro are gona be that dumb they might as well bring over Classics Alternators Prime or Classics Beast Machines Megatron or wheelchair bound Rattrap

11. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    1. Retailers have a tremendous amount of controll over hasbro as a business.
    In the past hasbro has been stomped on by retailers when fantastic homages are on the way. (Toys R Us Astrotrain :mad ) But the movie has cemented Transformers as the top boys toy for the year next to Nintendo Wii. (that spot used to belong to power rangers which is actually struggling now. http://www.shortpacked.com/comics/20090313attitude.png)

The toys sold with incredible speed. The retailers wanted more product and hasbro gave them the off the wall homages that retail probably would have dismissed before. Your living in a golden age for TF collecting.

2. Universe Classics is proposed to come back in 2010. Rhinox and Soundwave are the top tier guys the designers want to do. Wheeljack Jazz and any of the big bases are what the fans also want.

3. I expect that animated is'nt cancelled at the end of season 3. But I do like that the season should end in more concrete way than the last two.

Probable that even Hasbro will not know if cartoon network will want to renew for season 4 until the current season has fully aired.

12. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    iunno, i feel the Universe Classics 2.0 line is more for recreating iconic characters of the past of all lines. and as for what you said about Hot Shot and Cheetor/Dinobot, they tried to pick characters that would appeal to kids and be remembered by those who grew up with it-i know i started watching around the end of BW and Beginning of Armada, but after a while the A/E/C got a little lame, and i got back into the game after the movie. but Hot Shot is one of the few characters i remember from the past, and i for one am psyched for him. and maybe its cause i dont know what he looks like off the top of my head, but Beast Machines Megatron sounds like sumthin id prbly buy.

EDITT:: ok, i just saw his original toy-eghck. but he could use a redo, which is what the line does

13. GALAXY WARRIOR

GALAXY WARRIOR KO-CONVOY

of course the movie garbage is first and foremost with hasblow but i too hate the designs with every fiber of my being. they just dont have the transformers look. they give me the bionicles feel. i just cross my fingers that they resume after the movie.

14. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I heard that the line was going to go ON HIATUS during the Movie line and come back during the fall.

15. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    dunno about the fall, but hiatus is correct, fine with me, i can save some money for a while until they do

16. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I am just hoping that Classics line will be continued after the movie and we'll see toys like Jazz, Wheeljack, Grapple, and BLITZWING. As much as I like the TFA Blitzy I think they can do much better as a Classics. Other triplechangers like Sandstorm and Broadside should also be released.

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    You think Alts were successful? Wow.

18. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    No offense man, but the words "Alternators" and "successful" really don't belong in the same sentence.

19. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Alternators were AWESOME, but sadly not successful

20. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

The Classics line and the Alternators line are my favorites lines, along with Masterpiece. They are very successful from this fans pov. I would agree though, the Alternators line probably didn't sell too well outside of hardcore geewunners like myself.