NSMB Wii - Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Surge, Oct 3, 2009.

1. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

I love Super Mario Bros. 2 as well, though it's only fair to make note that it's not actually a Mario game (was converted into one when released in North America from the game Doki Doki Panic) which is probably the source of all the hatred. For anyone who doesn't already know and is wondering; the actual SMB2 is what Mario All-Stars calls 'The Lost Levels'.

Back to the topic at hand. I just picked up the game yesterday but haven't played it very much. Just a short two-player session with my brother. It is damn fun though.

The case for the game is red...that threw me off. Obviously this isn't an important note at all, just a random thought. I don't know of any other Wii game that doesn't have a white case.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whoa, that's a piece of history that I didn't know.

3. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

just got this game today.... i started playing with my 3 year old. we were having a blast. he's a big fan of mario world and mario 3 (he can get through a good number of stages in both actually, he's pretty good for his age) i would pick him up and carry him through tough spots and he thought it was cool. he also really enjoyed playing as blue toad. i spent a lot of time carrying him through levels, but it helped him to have fun with the game without feeling frustrated, which happens a lot when he plays the other mario games.

so my 10 year old came home as she was out with my parents, and my brother showed up as well. the 4 of us all started playing and it was crazy. suddenly we have this all-out mayhem going on. the kids were dying all the time but no one cared because it was such a good time. i actually ended up letting them stay up an hour past bed time because we had so much fun.

so after they went to bed my brother and i kept playing until midnight. playing with someone else who's at the same level as you are as a gamer is really cool, because you can figure out strategies and stuff for getting star coins, or looking for secrets, etc. there's a whole new layer there that mario games have never had before.

so there you have it, 3 totally different experiences with the multiplayer, and they were all a crapload of fun. i don't think i've had this much fun with a multiplayer game since... ever really. the dropping in/out and the fact that the multiplayer progresses the same as the single player game both really impressed me. i was mostly excited about the single player mode to be honest, and i haven't even touched it yet and this is still one of the best mario games i've ever played.

4. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey, just to let you know, I think if you hit the A button on a controller, that character will auto follow the other player, which might help out a little.

5. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

yeah i know that... he just liked being carried is all. i think the bubble made him feel like he had just died.

6. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Haha, ok, just checking.

7. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

Really digging this game

8. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    I just wanted to chime in that I LOVE this game. Makes me feel like 5 again. :) 

9. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    FINALLY beat Wendy. She is tough.

Protip:
    fireballs make the fight a hell of a lot easier.

10. ViperDragon

ViperDragon Well-Known Member

Found the path to the warp cannon on World 1 last night! This game is a blast!

11. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

Beat the snow world today. Now im at the beach world.

12. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

On the fence about this.

The fact that its a Mario platformer compels me to play, but I hated the DS NSMB game with a vengence and this looks like more of that.

13. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

this game takes the ds one, chews it up, and spits it in a big pile of smb3 mixed with smw. all the weird things about the ds one have been fixed. no more paying for toad houses. it has way better maps, not just left-to-right straight lines. the original koopalings instead of baby bowser at every fortress. item storage like in mario 3. the card flipping game from mario 3 is in most of the toad houses. way more useful powerups in the ice flower, penguin suit, and propeller hat. yoshi riding is in the game in some levels. level design is classic with tons of nods to smb, smb3, and smw.
    there are even airship levels like in smb3 after you beat the castle in some worlds.
    if you didn't like the ds game, don't let it stop you. it's a totally new experience, much closer to the classics, and it shouldn't be missed.

14. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Have they sorted out the controls? NSMB DS was painfully unresponsive and inaccurate. I might have been able to live with the shoddy level design, linear overworld and crap power-ups if Mario's movement didn't alternate between running througth treacle and sliding around like he is on ice.

15. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i haven't had any problems with the controls. it's not exactly the same as the 2d ones but it's definitely responsive and easy to play. i've never fallen off a ledge or smashed into an enemy just because of unresponsive controls if that's what you mean.

16. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This...Game...ROCKS! Been Playing It Since It Came Out, And It's Just F*cking Awesome!

17. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Hmm....not necesarily. In the cartoon, Larry, Iggy, Lemmy, and I think one more or so, had bird-beaks. Ludwig had messed up hair. Morton didn't even look like his original art. The Koopalings in this game look almost exactly like their original Super Mario Bros. 3 art, except their shells have changed color (except Wendy's) and Iggy got a facelift so people could tell him apart from Lemmy.

18. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    I agree wholeheartedly. A lot of game reviewers nowadays seem to thing that it's a REQUIREMENT to have online in order for them to qualify it as being a good game. They must be little children who have only been introduced to games such as Halo, Gears of War, Call of Duty, etc. When you're about as old as me (18), you realize that back then, single player CLASSIC games were the in-thing and most of the times, single-player IMO is the best. The only times I like to play online games is when I'm at my cousins' to play Halo 3.

BTW, to anyone who has a Wii and doesn't have NSMBW yet, I definitely recommend it and would give it a 10/10. Like several others have said, it's like a mix of SMB3 and SMW and it beats the crap out of NSMB for DS. I just beat it yesterday and am already going back for all the star coins. Then after that, I need to play through it again.

Can't wait till Christmas to see if I get a new Wii-mote so I can play it with my brother. :D 

19. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Picked it up on Friday, and oh your God... I haven't had this much fun playing a 2D game since Mario World! So much about this game just reminds me of all the fun times as a kid! Still getting the hang of the controls but have got a good reserve of lives to practice - Can;t wait to get my girlfriend to play this, she's been dead keen for a while!

Oh, and current status... Halfway through World 2, just handed Roy Koopa's arse to him!

20. The Primes

The Primes Well-Known Member

I'm around the middle of World 4 now, having beaten the Fortress earlier. I'm really enjoying this game. :)