NP Magazine question

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Scrapper6, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Does anyone else subscribe or pick this up? Has anyone else gotten #222 yet? I'm just curious to know what other Gamers/Nintendo Power long-time subscribers think about this new direction/publishr?

Personally right out of the gate I noticed like 30+ ads compared to around 19 in Volume # 221, call me crazy but if I wanted to pay for 30+ pages of Game Ads I'd well I'd pick up a magazine with 30+ ads and pay for it at the store.

Can I still order older Player's Guides from Nintendo proper? I like collecting those guides and there are so many I'd love to pick up and add to my collection.

The basic content of the magazine looks pretty much the same, but with all those ruddy ads breaking up pages I'm not confident in my continued support of this mag. I've been subscribing for a long time I've got issues from 79 onwards and have been a subscriber since the launch of N-64. I don't understand why Nintendo of America would pass off their mag to a third party I mean was it losing money for them? Or did they just get tired of dealing with us gamers?

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember when NP was Free... somewhere in my parent's house there is an issue with a Clay Mario on the cover. Ahhhh simpler times... I don't even think they had ads back then.

Wait, correction.. I think that was the first issue where they started charging, and the mag got a spine... The issues before were free. I remember late nights staring at the Zelda 2 picture...

Sorry, I know that's not what you're asking, but NP brings back memories.

3. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah you are thinking of the Nintendo Fun Club newsletter, I am pretty sure that subscribers got the first issue of Nintendo Power for free as a trial but after that you had to buy a sub.

It sucks that NP changed publishers, I heard that it would probably be chock full of new ads now. I miss my collection. I had every issue since the first one, up through somewhere after issue 100, but from moving alot I think my folks ended up parting with them.

My favorite part of the magazine of more recent times is the culture section (forgot what the name of the section is actually called) in the back that shows various collections, artwork, tattoos, etc. Is that still in the mag with the new pub?

4. 333HE

333HE HERSHEY'S GONNA EAT JOO.

Goddamn you, Future US!

5. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Well I just looked at the online store of Nintendo's official site, looks like from now on New Games Player's Guides are from Prima only. :(  :mad 
    Seriously that sucks, I loved all the Official Guides done by Nintendo themselves their look was way better then the Prima stuff.

Looks like my Nintendo Magazine and Player's Guide Collection is going to end once I pick up all the stuff from the past four or five years I want Guide wise. I can order a few from the online site, but I'd better move fast since their stock probably won't hold up much longer. :cry 

Curse you Nintendo of America, why? Why cop out now after almost 20 years of publishing your own Mag, seriously everyone keeps saying it was the number 1 seller for Game Mags which seems to me they weren't losing cash on it, but who knows. I am seriously dissapointed in this turn of events, if the magazine changes looks once the old staff is cut off after this year I bet you anything it just won't be the same... Nintendo Power might just go from number 1 to number 0 in the eyes of a lot of long time subscribers. Oh well, I was running out of space for them all anyway. *Shrugs*

6. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

I got mine today. It just didn't feel the same, with the new publishers.

Also, I learned that AJ has to talk with Tom about taking drugs before he goes to partys.

7. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

Interesting. I'd been picking it up at CVS or Borders for the past year and could not find a issue in the last two months so I bought a year subscription about a week ago. Just got the Zelda TP guide and soundtrack in the mail today. Guess I joined at the wrong time. I was floored however when I joined and they had a online record of my previous subscriptions starting from 1988! It even listed the free gift you got for each year. One was a pin, the other was some D&Desque video game. I remember those, still have them, but there was a gift of "books" for I believe 1989 that I can't put my finger on.

8. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

I've still got the issues with the covers the likes of RC ProAm and Punch Out. A Zelda one as well if I recall correctly. I should go dig those out.

9. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I got rid of mine years ago. Stopped being a subscriber just before the Gamecube came out... the internet made the mag obsolete for me ^_^

The Castlevania cover still haunts me to this day.

10. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Yeah, they could NEVER get away with stuff like that Castlevania cover anymore. Decapitated head FTW.