Now we have to get ready to say goodbye...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SPLIT LIP, Jul 13, 2008.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Hey folks.

I'm just posting here get some bad news off my chest.

About three months ago, our aged, not ederly, but aged Rotweiler, Bear, took a tumble down he stairs. Now by tumble I don't mean he fell the whole flight, just tripped and hit his shoulder on the wall. This caused him to limp a bit. Fast forawrd about a week and it hasn't gone away, so we take him to the vet. turns out we either get bad news, or worse news. Bad news is, it could be arthritis, or worse, bone cancer. (something very common in Rotties)

He was put on medication and even though he had gotten better at first, he's not doing so well. Next Tuesday he's going back for another checkup and a possible X-ray to make absolute sure. There is a chance it's not bone cancer, but it most likely is. He's in pain though he tries not to show it (most Rotties don't) and it's just another thing we love about him. It's never easy saying goodbye to a loved one, human or animal, and over the many years I've lived I've had to say goodbye to both many times. Bear as been the sweetest, kindest most loving dog you could ever ask for. He's a big guy, and could be a little pushy but he was obedient and never harmed a fly despite living with numerous smaller animals including cats.

It's not his time yet but it's running out. Hopefully we go to the vet and she says it was just a bum shoulder and they can fix it up or do something to ease his pain, but there's a 95% chance we may have to ready ourselves.

[​IMG]

This was him not too long ago. He looks great, he's eating well, he's drinking plenty. He's living like he always has.

I just can't imagine what it would be like around here without him.

Thanks for anyone who took the time to read this. It feels better to write about it.

2. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

I know how you feel 2yrs ago our family dog had severe problems to point where his back feet didn't work so it was either let him suffer or put him down. My father choose to have him put to sleep I keep a picture of him on my dresser mirror.

3. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Losing a pet is a tough thing. I wish the best for you and your family.

4. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

God, I know that feeling very well. My sympathies, Split lip.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Thanks a lot, guys. :) 

You know when you bring them home you're going to out live them. But it's more than worth it to give them a good home, a happy life and love them.

6. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    My sympathies, I dreaded the day I have to go through this with my labrador. :( 

7. QuantumShock

News Credits:
    Argh double post

8. QuantumShock

News Credits:
    double post

9. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Sorry to hear about that, Split Lip. Losing a pet really sucks.

10. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

The wife and I have had to say goodbye to several pets over the years. It's NEVER easy, especially if it's a case where you have to put them down. Those are the worst that will eat you up with guilt. I wish you and your friend the best of luck. Hopefully it's something fixable.

11. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My girlfriend very recently lost her pet cat Patches to Cancer... He was diagnosed a few months back when he wasn't eating well, and the doctors gave him only a few weeks to live... But Patches lived on for another six months perfectly fine before it became too much for him, and the family had to put him down...

It's understandable to feel so sad dude, we've all been there... You have my deepest condolences. And even though his time is running out, at least you will have the wonderful memories of him.

12. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear that, Slit Split. My dog died in 2006, it sucks when they leave us.

13. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    My thoughts are with you, all the best of luck and let us know how it goes

14. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You have my sympathies. Losing a loving pet is always difficult. I have been through multiple pet deaths. Right now, I am just preparing myself when I have to put my Whippet/Cattle dog mix down. He is fine (health-wise) but he is 11 years old.

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear that dude. I get super attatched to pets, they become part of the family. Spend as much time with Bear as you can.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    The really sad part is, we may only have till Tuesday. It breaks my heart to hear him cry in his sleep and he always has that same look of confusion on his face. He doesn't know what's happening to him, all he knows is that it hurts.

Bear's only eleven years old. We've only had him for about eight years now. We had an older dog, a Shiba Inu named Booger who got to be eighteen, but he did not go peacefully. It feels like this all over again.

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Today was both sad and good news.

He went to the vet and was acting fine. He was jumping at the door when he was going for a car ride. He was friendly and excited with everyone at the vet. As we expected, there's a tumour. The good news is, it won't affect his life span as he's already outlived the average Rotweiler. Six months to a year. That's what they're giving him. Absolute worse case senario is the tumour eats through the bone, but considering how big it is now and how old he is, it most likely (99% chance) won't come to that. (since his body is tryign to regrow the bone around the opposite side of the tumour. Though bone grows slower than Cancer)

As he was getting treats and leaving the vet, the cat there (who had just been bitten by another do there) licked his nose. It was so adorable, but then again, Bear and cats go hand in hand.

Right now he's a little dopey from the anesthetic but that'll wear off. Basically, we just treat Bear as Bear, though we may have to watch him going down the stairs. (don't want him to fall and make things worse)

18. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I am so happy to hear that you will have more time with Bear. I'm reading this thread bored at work, and I actually had to fight back tears when I read your first post.

19. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Sorry to hear about yor pup :( 

Im sure he had a good life and family. You were probaby a great doggydad too

20. Wazzpinator

Wazzpinator is playin ODST

You have my sympathies. It's always hard to lose a pet, I've been through this before, we used to have a very sick poor Devon Rex cat. I know how it feels.