Now this is weird... PC related

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tikgnat, Dec 14, 2007.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    My internet connection is very screwy at the moment.

Here are the symptoms,

i) My WEP key, which should normally be 26 digit, keeps defaulting back to a masked 8 digit password. Weirdly though, it still connects with my wireless router, and says I'm always connected.

ii) Pages on the internet load inconsistantly, front pages load instantly, following pages don't load (problem with connection) but may reload after a refresh.

I've nuked my PC, so everything on here is from scratch, but I still have a problem. I can't see it being my PC after its brand new rebuild, its not my router, because my 360 can go online.

BUT! VF5 is much more laggy than usual, but this could just be higher traffic on LIVE than normal, it is Friday night after all.

Anyway, I know its kinda vague, but plain and simple, my internet connection is screwy, and I have no idea what the cause could be. My only suspicsion is my provider is messing me around, but why would my IE mess up so bad, but LIVe be OK?

Any insights would be much appreciated.

2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Are you accidentally connecting to someone else's router?

3. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

That is weird,Wensday I was having trouble loading some pages while others would load normally,and online gaming was non-exsistent.

I fixed my problem by messing with the Windows Sevices turning them on auto/manual/or disable.

4. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    That happens to me sometimes. And my neighbor won't password protect his connection (I told him what was going on)... I ended up setting my signal as the default, so hopefully that stops.

5. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I can see my neighbor's router signal all over my house, it comes through damn near as strong as my USB Wi-Fi adapter - and it's totally unprotected.

Though, my next door neighbor is a total bitch so if I get pissed enough I just might have to lock down her router...

6. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Always update firmware on your routers

7. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

1 ) As for why your WEP shows as 8 digits... that's normal. It's a Windows feature not to show the level of encryption. Even if you use a 128 Bit Encryption, Windows will show it as 8 characters.

2 ) Try connecting the PC with a wire to the router and see if it does give the same problem. Do you have a firewall on the PC, try disabling it. The front page could be cached so that's why it loads fast

Try pinging the URL you're trying to reach see if it gives you results.

8. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    This happens after "she" downloads a few hundred GBs of the newest, most popular music and movies, right? Hello RIAA/MPAA lawsuit.

9. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

...and if using ethernet instead of wireless does help, check to see if there are a lot of other wireless signals in your area. If so, try setting your router to broadcast to a different channel.

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    1) I didn't know that, thanks!

2) My PC is on a totally different floor to the router, ubnless I drill through floors and ceilings its going to be really hard to get a wire from one to the other.

Yesterday after the rebuild it was having problems updating all the anitivirus/windows update because the connection kept on dropping, but
    Weirdly my PC connection is 100% fine today.

I'm starting to suspect my provider. Hmm.