Now this is just sad...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by misterd, Jan 30, 2007.

1. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Check out the IGN blog below, posted Monday, and then the one below it, posted just over a week earlier.

http://blogs.ign.com/matt-ign

Bad luck, or a serious design problem?

2. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

It's obviously his fault. There's something wrong with where he has the system, how long he's playing it or some other factor. Since he works for IGN and is playing Beta games, maybe that's the problem. Bug in the game? I've had mine since Christmas 2 years ago, and mine works great. Just playing the new Rainbow.

3. wljk

wljk Well-Known Member

Lucky you, I've had mine for 3 months and it is giving me the Red Ring Of Death, as I come to call it. I only play it about 2 hours a day. It gives me problems after every game or system updates from Microsoft. Now I got to box it up and take it to Best Buy and get a new one, thank goodness for 2 year replacement plans.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    No. They honestly do just randomly die. my cousin is on his fifth and he rarely even plays the damn thing. he's treated each one perfectly, and they're well ventilated. they still die.

consider yourself lucky if yours still works.

5. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

One of the other managers at work bought one on Friday. Saturday, it died. He took it back and they said that all the Xboxes they got in in December had problems, and that the one he got the second time may or may not have come in in December as the store had mixed up the stock.

As far as I know, the second one is still working, but I haven't been there in two days.

6. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

That really sucks. I don't own a 360, nor have I spoken with anyone about the reliability or heard anything about it. So, my gut reaction to the blog was similar to Gnaw's comment. However, the three people that have posted since have either had numerous problems themselves or know people that have. Got me wondering now. Maybe I shouldn't be too surprised, my XBOX is the only console I've ever owned that crashes and locks up during game play.

7. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Scary. Been thinking about getting one.

8. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

My only console to do that was the PS2. Honestly, what are the odds of him or others having a series of XBOX's fail on them. It has to be their problem or they have terrible luck. It could electricity, the games themselves, environment, damage from other people or animals.

9. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

well my friend has his Xbox from launch , and is a hard core gamer and moder.
    and he hasnt had his died on him

10. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

So Xbox360 = The New PS2

11. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

That's why anecdotal evidence is useless. When millions of people purchase it, odds are more than a few will have "rotten luck" under even normal circumstances. Of course these people are the ones who tend to be most vocal, and so even if you know dozens of people with 360s, the one who crapped out will be the one you hear from.

This is not to defend MS blindly. Such reports merit investigation, and the results made public, whether the fault lies in the system or in chance.

12. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I agree that environmental or disc specific problems could be the cause of some of those problems. Case in point, the ONLY two XBOX games of mine that crash are Fellowship of the Ring and Morrowind, which sucks because Morrowind is my favorite XBOX title. Never had a problem with any of the other 20 or so games that I've played extensively on the machine.

13. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I think that the original XBOX games might be the problem. Some people might be playing games that aren't compatible yet. I tried Conkers: Live and Reloaded awhile back and it froze up and gave me the "not available due to no emulator blah blah" message.

14. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

*screams like a school girl* Conkers is now on the compatability list! Must get!!!!

15. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    There are two X-Box 360's in my house, my brother's premium version and my core version. We got both at launch and both still work. I don't play mine much but my brother plays his night and day. A friend of our was not so lucky. His died a few weeks or a month ago and it was bought around Spring or Summer of last year. I guess it is the luck of the draw. The only system that either my brother or myself have had to replace was my brothers launch PS2. This is out of 1 NES, 1 SNES, 1 N64, 1 Gamecube, 1 PSX/ONE, 2 PS2 (1 is the dead one), 1 PS3, 1 X-Box, 2 X-Box 360, 1 Atari, 1 Dreamcast, 2 GBC, 1 GBA, 1 GBSP, 1 DS, 1 Gamegear, and 1 Wii.

16. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Wow, you have a tonne of systems *is impressed*. How is the PS3? Worth it?

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    my cousin only ever used his 360 to play two games: Dead Rising, and Gears of War.

18. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    That is between both myself and my brother but we do share. I own the SNES, Gamecube, Wii, 1 X-Box 360, DS, 1 GBC, GBA, Dreamcast, and Atari. He owns the NES, PS1, PS2 (working), PS3, X-Box, 1 X-Box 360, 1 GBC, and GBSP. The N64 was shared but is his now and the Gamegear is still shared between us. I look forward to someday getting my own PS2 (the one he gave me is the dead one but we had hoped to fix it, no luck though), X-Box (1st), NES, and N64. He plans to give me his 20 gig PS3 when he gets a 60 gig and he plans to get a Wii.

As far as how the PS3 play there are no games that I wish to play for it at this time so I don't know, I only set up my user account on it. My brother played it for a while but is back to playing his 360. In fact I can't recall him playing it this month but I only see him 3 or 4 days a week. I will have to ask him but it is really about the games you like so whether it is worth it or not is personal taste.

19. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

My PS3 is strictly a blu-ray player right now. At least until I get around to FFXII now that they finally got the crap working right.