Now that you've seen the movie what did you think of the ending? *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Fonecrusher, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Fonecrusher

Fonecrusher Megatron wants YOU

For those of us who have seen DOTM what's your verdict on the ending after seeing it first hand, on the screen? Personally I loved this movie it really was incredible to watch, but seeing the ending with my own eyes, it only made me disagree even more with it.

Firstly there's the fact Megatron saves Optimus. Sentinel literally has his blade to Optimus' throat and is about to finish him when Megatron jumps in saving him, unintentionally or not it doesn't really matter, Megatron is the only reason Optimus is still alive. What make is even worse is the very next moment Megatron does ask for a truce, too which OP replies by splitting his skull open with an axe.

And secondly, and this is the biggie, it's the way he kills Sentinel. I actually found it quite sadistic: Sentinel is pleading for his life on the ground saying "No please" and Optimus pretty much executes him with a shotgun blast at point blank range. Taking into account Sentinel actually spared Optimus in Washington earlier despite being the supposed "bad guy", this left a bad taste in my mouth. Infact to draw a comparision, Sentinel's death is very similar and just as brutal as Q's IMO.

Luckily for me the ending wasn't a game breaker while I don't like it, I can live with it, especially knowing the preceeding 2 hours more than makes up for it. But yeah I much prefer the novel ending now, in fact the way Megatron is portrated in DOTM almost makes it seem like it was set up for that ending. He doesn't fight anyone at all except Sentinel and the scene where he is simply sitting on the street looking up at Cybertron while all hell is breaking loose in the city, made me pity and almost empathize with him. I just think it's a shame they didn't go with the other ending since it had much more potential for emotional impact IMO.

2. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    Megatron and Sentinel are both assholes, and were summarily executed to preserve freedom of the Humans, which is and has been Optimus' goal throughout the movies.

3. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    Besides theres that little thing about Sentinel killing Ironhide. He deserved it. though it'd be cool continuity if it were like

Sentinel:Grant me mercy, Optimus. You must understand why I had to betray you!

Optimus: Like you showed mercy to Ironhide? -blast-

4. Fonecrusher

Fonecrusher Megatron wants YOU

I just find it ironic that these two supposed "assholes" as you say, well one of them saved Prime's life, and the other spares him in battle when he could of killed him easily . And Optimus is supposed to be the good guy? Like I said the Sentinel's scene is almost identical to Q's. Sentinel gets the shit kicked out of him by Megatron (I admit I did enjoy this, Megatron aint' no one's "bitch" Carly!) and he is so badly injured he can't even offer any resistance, he simply pleads for his life and Prime fucks him up anyway. Prime is very much the aggressor in both deaths. And Megatron? Well this is the most passive he we see him, out of the all the movies easily. Towards the end he doesn't fight at all he's just sits in a back alley alone, looking above, like he doesn't care anymore.

Yeah true I did notice Prime got more aggressive and darker in attitude after Ironhide's death, but if this was the case I wish the writer's had shown this attitude change in a more literal sense. I mean they could of thrown in a line or two about Optimus wanting to avenge Ironhide no matter the price. The general audience just thinks Optimus is a sadistic badass who kills Decepticons in the most painful ways possible.

5. tehCal

tehCal wherever you are i am not

Prime was justified. Megatron was a mad dog that needed to be put down for his own sake. He wanted a justifiable end goal of protecting Cybertron but his lust for power ("THIS IS MY PLANET") meant he would never achieve it through peaceful means. Prime knew that if he made a truce with Megatron, he would be no better than Sentinel, and that he needed to end the war then and there.

As far as Sentinel goes, he needed to pay for his crimes. He claimed to have been doing what was for the greater good, but enough bloodshed had been caused due to his duplicity, and he would never have given up if allowed to live. What are they going to do, reform him? Build a prison on earth that can hold him? He needed to be put out of his mercy and I think if he'd been in Prime's shoes he would've understood that.

Prime said he'd kill them all, and he meant it, and although I kinda wanted Megs to survive like in the book, it makes more sense for Prime to kill him and I understand and agree completely with how it was filmed.

6. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    I think you're giving them too much credit. Allow me to break it down.

Sentinel: Backstabs the bot that is for all intents and purposes his greatest student and metaphorical son. Proceeds to beat the shit out of him. Wants to enslave the entire human race, which is morally opposed to Prime's ideals. Spares Prime after vicious beating simply to humiliate him by making him and his bots leave the planet. Pleads like a little bitch, gets his shit destroyed.

Megatron: This doesn't need explaining, really. "Asshole" is in Megatron's character description. He's killed humans and Autobots, friends of Prime alike, with reckless abandon, and even killed Prime himself in the past. Inadvertantly (key word) saves Prime by attacking Sentinel, and intends to kill them both. The truce was sarcastic ("Let's make a truce, and this time I'LL be in charge" or something). Gets his shit wrecked.

So, yeah, they're both irredeemable assholes that got exactly what was coming to them.

7. thien425

thien425 Well-Known Member

I do agree with some of what you are saying about Sentinel, Megatron didn't kill a single bot in this movie. Sure he killed Prime, but it was still to restore life to Cybertron. I think Optimus is a sadistic psychopath who really needs some therapy before he sees a taxi and thinks its a decepticon and starts fucking it up.

8. nametaken

nametaken Well-Known Member

thats my complaint with bay and this series, though movie 1 i think was well written. Bay isn't in it for character, he is in it for action even at the expense of character.

9. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:

That's not what IRONIC means.

10. MrSneis

MrSneis Build Giant Robot!

News Credits:
    There's a duality to OP and fighting. I just love how when it comes to combat Optimus Prime does not f*k around, but it's also a given that he will get his ass thoroughly kicked in the process.

I agree that killing megs when he was asking for a truce was a cheap move though, he fights a little dirty sometimes but it's not like the cons do anyways.

11. nametaken

nametaken Well-Known Member

it is.
    the irony is the most good of good guys is the most viscous attacker
    while the bad guys gave measure.

12. Mario

Mario Italian Plumber

So Optimus Prime didn't Sub Zero Megatron?

13. OpJay

OpJay Member

I'm gonna hold my views until I see the movie tonight, but think back to ROTF.

Megatron snuck up behind Optimus and stabbed him in the back, killing him. I think he deserves what is coming to him.

14. clonemanager

clonemanager Hunter

News Credits:
    After watched this movie... I wanted to say that the people making this story up (or agreed, approved) are trying to say one thing... Human especially the NEST Military ARE STILL as strong as most machines. Transformers AREN'T that powerful... This is something I find it hard to admit... well, it is nothing new... ever since the 1st movie ... with so much us army sponsorship... but I thought we are talking about some mighty powerful transformers...

other than the human... now to my random thoughts....

First up, Optimus. Optimus is ... WEAK, FREAKING WEAK... weaker than the RotF combine mode with Jetfire... How come ?? Where is that sweet combined mode from the toy set... ? I kept thinking Op is gonna be combining a freaking mode but none.

the old man Sentinel Prime is kicking everybody's ass...

there isn't any fair duel... and almost everyone with equal power/strength only got killed by ambush somehow... None of the fighting are Gundam like... I am fairly disappointed...

15. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    A number of you raise some good arguments in favor of Optimus' conduct. However, the fact remains that the movies don't outline the situation as well as you do - they only succeed in portraying Optimus as brutal and sadistic.

Some things never change. :rolleyes2 

16. Tomboticon

Tomboticon Well-Known Member

I think Sentinel and Megatron had done too much bad to be redemptive. If anything, it would make OP look like a fool for trusting these evil characters to do the right thing on a verbal vow.

If they would've played up Megatron's growing tiredness towards the war or something, then I could see the truce ending working. It would seem that too much had been done between OP and Megs to justify a simple, "Hey if you stop fighting, I'll stop fighting" type deal. The movie didn't do that, so I am fine with what they did here.

17. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Re: the humans though.

I really liked the scene where they took out that whole group of Decepticons, as it was actually well thought out.

Given they used fairly intelligent tactics (namely, take out the eyes with snipers, and then run in and stickybomb them with Q's explosives)

18. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:

I just wanna say thien425,your reasoning about all 3 is SHOCKING AS SH**,you are basically condoning what Sentinel and Megs did,going around destroying Chicago and killing humans just for the sport of it,I say no.Also your statement about how Megs didn't kill one bot is A Freaking Lie,do you think just cause he didn't order the other Decepticons to kill them he's not at fault,HELL NO.

Finally you said Optimus is a sadistic psychopath,I say you are so wrong,what the Decepticons do is kill innocent humans that get in there way,Do you not think Optimus was justified in turning Sentinel and Megs into Slag for what they did.Man you really are the one who needs therapy if you think Prime is the Bad Guy.

19. omegasupreme35

omegasupreme35 New Member

yea thien 425 this wars been goin on forever megatron has killed an unbelievable amount of optimus primes friends and killed humans u cant just say oh well megatron didnt kill anyone for the last 5 days so optimus should forgive and forget ur out of ur mind thats the most rediculous thing ive ever heard and then basically his father figure completely took a shit on him and betrayed him killed humans and was gonna enslave the rest and killed ironhide like a coward one of optimus best friends prime had been put through hell by both of these guys megatron especially if prime didnt kill them both i would be pissed. your sayin prime should have let them both go replenish their army and come back with even more cons next time and run the risk of not being able to save earth next time cuz thats what would have happened primes won many times and each time megatron came back with more guys ur nuts dude fuckin nuts

20. fawnheart2000

fawnheart2000 Autobot

Well at least this ending clears the way for a Megatron reformat into Galvatron.