Now that MP-10 has been revealed...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Radioactive Ravage, May 10, 2011.

1. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

I suppose it would be a good time to list the possible ways it could improve over its predecessor, MP-01/MP-04. Now, don't get me wrong, I enjoy MP-01 immensely as a display piece, but he does have some very glaring faults.

While he was the pinnacle of Transformer design, possessing a decent blend of gimmicks and articulation as well as an impressive transformation, it's been a while, and a lot of the things that made MP-01 a Masterpiece are also a hindrance. I'm a fan of Diecast when it's used effectively, but this Prime has so much on him that he's nearly impossible to stand. The massive block of Diecast in his torso has to go, or be minimized. The same goes for the legs- the joints in the knees could not support the weight of those things which severely hindered his posing. His joints, of course, are another thing that needs to be worked on- the knees were beautiful in design but supported very little weight and were unstable because of their build, and the pelvic joints were weak- partly because of the weight they carry on the legs, and partly because they did not lock in well. The arms were fairly decent- I don't really have any complaints with them.

The transformation of the figure, while complex and interesting, had its flaws. The leg-retracting gimmick was very weak and, compounded with the weight of the upper torso, did not hold well. The head was too awkward to fit in the designated compartment. The pieces that formed the lower torso were also awkward to work with.

I know it seems like I hate the MP-01 mold, but I don't. It is one of my most prized Transformers and stands proudly on a shelf by itself. But frankly, with all of the cool things that it can do, all it is really able to do is stand. Posing is tough with this mold, unless it's an epic standing pose. I love the Matrix, the Energon Axe, the gun, and the faceplate, but there's very little this thing can do aside from be a display piece.

I guess what I'm getting at is that more recently, the Masterpiece line as been more about articulation and design with less of an emphasis on Diecast, which frankly, I think is a step in the right direction, especially for this new Prime mold. We've changed a lot over the past couple Masterpieces, and it's time we had a Prime that reflected the positives of those changes.

2. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Plenty of us would be willing to admit that in the 7 years plus since MP01 debuted, Takara have learned a few new things that may address some of it's issues....

The $250 is a bit more difficult to deal with however.

3. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Its a great piece. It just feels like Takara Jabbed us in the gut for releasing this right after Finals Edition of the previous mold. 250$ is very hard to swallow. I'd be happy with just Optimus. I can mod the G3 trailer to make it work.

4. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I think the first MP Prime is a nice enough figure, but just looks a little chunky overall. It would be nice to see a bit more of a streamlined cartoon look, which I think the new mold does address...to some extent. I think with the simplicity of the transformation and both modes, it should be possible to make the figure entirely kibble-free, but again this has not happened.
    I have MP Prime and he is great, no doubt about that, but I'm not sure just how much better the new one is/will be, especially for the mind-bending price tag. Ah heck, I can't afford it anyway, so no point stressing about it too much I suppose!

5. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

speaking of MP. Is $120 for a TRU MP Grimlock too much or should i buy it now?

6. FCatCH76

FCatCH76 Autobot

shot you a PM depth... and I like this new mold but yeah...price ummm.

7. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    MP-10 is essentially the Human Alliance G1 Prime that we've been asking for.....I'd LOVE to own one but $250 is waayyyy too much $$$ for my budget.

8. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think this new one is more accurate figure and inbetween to the original cartoon and toy design. I'm more for aesthetics and not playability. I mean geez that truck mode is freaking awesome.

9. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    $250 is a bit much. I'll wait until Hasbro announces the US release.

If he does get released in the states, that is. But since the images we've seen so far have the name Hasbro printed on them, I don't think I should worry. :lol 

10. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    There are two things wrong with this figure. Timing and Price. I have nothing bad to say about it. I think the smaller size will put him to scale with the rest of his Autobot brother in the Alternators/Binaltech line.

I will have to hold off. The trailer is nice but ends up being used as nothing on my display. If the Hasbro brings him to North America and dramatically reduces the price ($100 max) I will bite. (And I am aware that to kill the price that much the trailer must be lost but all I want is Prime and Spike.)

And how do we know timing is off? A bunch of us are willing to dish out $600 for the Hercules figure and yet a bunch of us are complaining about this price.

I think the price seems so outlandish because interest is so low.

11. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I like the looks of it. I never liked the chest transform of MP-01. Seemed to fiddley to me. Hopefully they improve that. My biggest issue is the $250. That is alot of scratch.

12. wildfly

News Credits:
    At that price, i think you may as well just go the extra few and the get the Takara one.

13. wildfly

News Credits:
    Hasbro Hong Kong? They're Takara's agents in a few Asian countries.

14. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    This is true, may I add that, for 600$, you will get 6 figures to add to your classics collection that we didn't get before.

But for 250$ we are getting "another" optimus.

I'd rather have 6 more characters in my classics for 600$ then to replace one with a better one for 250$. That's my logic, me thinks.

15. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

this one's a definite buy. it will go very NICELY in any prime collection display.

16. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    love the way it looks, if he gets released in the US, sans trailer, I will buy him. Its amazing how much of an improvement he is over the original.

17. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A lot of you have said the price is hard to justify buying it. I agree. I can't see myself paying $250 for this prime either regardless of how "nice" he looks. I'm not a huge Prime fan, so passing this one up is not going to bother me one bit. Playing devil's advocate here......imagine how much the secondary market value will be once he's no longer available in stores. I reference you to MP-07 Thundercracker :tongue: 

18. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    For me, both MP-1 & MP-10 have some similar faults, the update hasn't resolved them.

MP-1 & MP-10 both have weak truck modes; the cab sides are poor on both, the fronts on neither are quite "right", and the back end on both is poor in slightly differing ways - MP-1 just looks like, well, legs pointing backwards, and MP-10 appears to have a back end that secretly aspired to be at roof level.

I'm not keen on the proportions of MP-10; the arms, particularly the forearms, look overly bulky if not overlong. I feel the legs appear stumpier due to the flattened feet (fine in themselves, but doing nothing for the overall proportions), and there's nasty stuff going on with the wheel arch coverings at the sides, throwing off the shape.

MP-10 definitely has some preferable styling on the chest, the head sculpt is great and the articulation looks to be excellent; however, I've never found MP-1 to be especially lacking in articulation, so overall I again feel it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

For me the trailer etc is irrelevant with either MP version, I'm not fussed by them one way or the other.

Personally, I was all for an updated MP convoy, especially given how good some of the recent engineering had been for parts of the ROTF, Alternity & Generations/United stuff - but what's been revealed has left me underwhelmed. That things like the dodgy cab mode and the cruft on the legs have just been presented differently, rather than improved and sorted out, seems a missed opportunity.

I feel MP-1 & MP-10 really are simply two different versions of the same thing, rather than one being better or worse than the other. Not the gobsmacking Masterpiece Convoy reinvention I'd hoped for.

Now, if this MP-10 is developed into an Ultra Magnus with armour, or God Ginrai, then I could well pick one of those up.. but MP-10 in addition to or as replacement for MP-1, I personally don't see a benefit. Hopefully a future MP Convoy 3 will fix the vehicle mode and the legs wheels, that's the glaring stuff to me :) 

19. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Wonder if/when we see a US release if his smokestacks will be neutered as well.

20. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Well I'm hoping we know what the MP-11 is gonna be by the time MP-10 hits the shelves.

I really am tempted to switch my MP-4 for this, but only if there'll be a similarily-sized Megatron.