Now that I have RiD Scourge, I love him, and want more like him.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by twee, Feb 20, 2008.

1. twee

twee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some of you are probably sick of hearing about Scourge these past few weeks, but I can't get over how amazing this toy is. It's simplistic in transformation yet still amazingly fun to play with, and has an impressive articulation as well. Not to mention, the mold itself is pretty badass.

I'm getting kinda sick of these uber-complicated Movie figures that leave me not wanting to play with them at all after I've transformed them, so Scourge was a huge breath of fresh air.

So I want to ask, what other molds offer this sort of timeless, simplistic awesomeness?

I've heard very good things about Dreadwing & Smokescreen/BB & Starscream/RiD Dreadwind & Smokejumper/RM Gigant Bomb & Smokesniper, so I'm currently on the lookout for that. But I want more!

2. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Armada Hot Shot!

*runs*

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    You might want to check out the Brave toyline released by Takara in the 90s. It was pretty much built off the G1 style and appearance, much like Scourge and Dreadwing/Smokescreen. There's a whole thread in the Toyark about it.

P.S. My Black Convoy should be here tomorrow. I can't wait :D 

4. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like G1 Optimus Prime. Super easy transformation and pretty decent articulation considering he is a G1 toy. Lots of play value and I still think he has the best trailer of any Primes to date.

5. twee

twee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I actually have a couple Braves, J Decker and Sky Saber. They're awesome, but they really lack the quality and articulation that I'm looking for. Don't get me wrong, J Decker is probably the most amazing brickformer I've ever seen, but I don't think it's what I'm looking for.

6. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'd put the Symetric Dockers from GGG at least on par with the Starscream/BB set. Whatever floats your boat ;) 

The ATB mold and Laser Prime are probably the only ones in this category... Kinda makes me sad, as they're the ones most often called "good molds" and they kinda paved the way for modern stuff.

7. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    Don't be sorry, he's a great TF, my favorite!

8. Cerberus

Cerberus Shockwave loyalist

News Credits:
    destructicon scourge? i think is a good choice

9. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Which reminds me I have to pick up the G2 reissue one of these days.

10. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    Well, assuming I understand you right, you're looking for TF's with similar design style to RiD Scourge/G2 Optimus. Look good in both robot and alt modes, decent poseability, and relatively simple, quick transformation. Keep in mind these aren't the best in the line necessarily, just the ones that match up to Scourge's design aesthetic the best.

Well, there are just all IMHO, but here are a few that might work for you:

RiD:

The repaint of Dreadwing and Smokescreen, and the Destructicons Scourge and Bludgeon.

Armada:

Hoist is surprisingly well articulated, if you can get past the massive bucket-arm.

Deluxe Optimus (also known as 'Bendy Prime') and is Nemesis Prime repaint are generally accepted as the best things to come out of the line aside from Unicron.

Tidal Wave: Hurts from a lack of knees and head swivel, but this guy is just plain fun, especially if you have a few Minicon jets.

Energon:

Starscream is based upon the Smokescreen/Smokejumper mold from the Dreadwing/Smokescreen duo, and improves on it in almost every way. I have two versions of the mold (Original and Repaint) and both are quick and easy to transform, and terrifically detailed and poseable.

Megatron/Galvatron. Large, and another simple transformation. Get the Galvatron repaint. Trust me on this.

Omnibots. All of them, really. Strongarm leads the pack, if you have to choose, but Arcee isn't far behind.

Cybertron:

Hot Shot (Both versions), Scattorshot (Cybertron Defense Force) and Red Alert (Cybertron Defense Force). Simple transformations, good in both modes, and poseable. They also look pretty good with my G2 Optimus.

Crumplezone & Ransack

Dirt Boss

Optimus Prime. For such a great Optimus, he's also refreshingly simple and intuitive to transform.

Evac (Pushing it in the complexity, kinda)

Vector Prime

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Cybertron Downshift (and the upcoming 'Big Daddy' repaint) has always been a fave of mine in the "simple yet elegant" arena. He's chunky/blocky enough to look like he stepped right out of the G2 line, for that matter.

A few other relatively simple faves (I tend to prefer them over complex transforms anyway)

Armada: 'Bendy' Prime, Hoist

Energon: Starscream, Sharkticon, Strongarm, Shockblast, Galvatron, Divebomb, Grimlock

Cybertron: Downshift, Cyb Def HotShot, Thunderblast (well, she is simple to transform :)  )

Almost anything from the first Classics line.

12. twee

twee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Already have Downshift, and yes, I really love the hell out of him. My second favorite deluxe car TF, behind Classics Mirage.

I've been scouring eBay and various other places for the Cybertron Defense figures for a while now, and I just don't have the money for them right now. Kinda makes me wish they'd do repaints of at least one of them for the Universe line, or even for the Movie line.

I'll take a look at those Armada and Energon figs; my collection severly lacking in toys from these series, so it's about time to get a few figs.

13. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    G2 "Hero" Megatron.

In fact, most Laser Rods are pretty awesome, except Electro who has a bad case of GPS.

14. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Polenicus named most of the big ones, but the ones I'm leaving here in quotes I add my recommendation to.

G2, Machine Wars, and Laser Rods: These lines were chock full of figures born out of the same design as Laser Prime (Black Convoy) and Dreadwing and Smokescreen. Ball joints, fast Transformations, solid and fun figures. All the "new" figures (As opposed to the repaints of G1 figures) I'd recommend, they are so good that many of them have been reused time and again in line after line.

I'd also recommend the two packs, Tow-line and Skyfire and Skid-z and Wind Sheer. They're also repaints/repacks of Machine Wars figures BTW.

Tidal Wave got a repaint in Energon, so pick your flavor. While he's not super articulated, he is darn fun and easy to Transform. Plus, he does combine with Armada Megatron if you've got him.

This Engeron/Superlink IMHO, is my peak line from the last few years, and the only line ever that I actually got all the figures to (Well, on a single faction, I got all the Decepticons, I've never gotten an entire line). Lots of articulation, neat gimmicks without hindering the figures integrity, solid designs.

Superlink Galvatron/Galvatron G(eneral) is one of my favorite TF molds of all time. He may not be super articulated, but he's got all the basic joints (He's lacking a waist joint and his arm swivel is a forearm swivel as opposed to a bicep swivel from RiD Scourge/CR Black Convoy), has a nice solid size, and is the best homage to G1 Galvatron ever. While the Energon Galvatron figure does look more like G1 Galvatron, it's a bit too big as a leader sized figure, as I like them a bit smaller if they're not a city or something else that's big or complex, otherwise it looks weird IMHO to have the leader standing there, surrounded by lackeys who are knee high practically, as compared to being just slightly bigger then his troops.

All of the Energon/Superlink Decepticons: Seriously. Personally though, I wouldn't hunt much for Scorponok. IMHO, he's the only weak link in the Decepticon line up. While there are plenty of people who like him, I'm not one of them mostly because of the shoulders and arms.

All the Deluxes: Starscream, Snowcat, Demolisher, Sharkticon, Slugslinger. It's all good. Solid Transformations, ball joints galore, they're fun to have.

The Terrorcons. These are a bit more basic both in design and price, but they've got good articulation and they're easy and fun to transform.

The Ultras: The ultra's aren't quite as ball jointed and super fast Transformations as the aforementioned figures, but like Tidal Wave and Galvatron, can be fun figures. Mirage/Dreadwing. Nifty boat, tons of articulation, but a tad on the complex side. Shockblast, take a look at it. It's not overly articulated, but I've got it and I like it for more then just an homage done right.

On the Autobot side, Landmine and his repaint Landquake. I prefer Landquakes colors personally. Fun TF, nicely done, well articulated and his sound effect is making the TF noise!

Add Downshift, Sideways, and Clocker/Swerve to the group as well. With heavy emphasis on Downshift.

Also, in Japan, there was Robot Masters, which had a lot of smaller figures like the Cyberjets and Laser Rods again, the G2 Megatron/RID Bludgeon mold with a reworked cannon and two new heads as Reverse Convoy (A Megatron and Optimus in one!) along with some new versions of characters like Optimus Primal, Lio Convoy, and BW Megatron in a smaller and simpler mold, that are all well articulated and easy to Transform.

From the movie line, Target has been using the Energon/Superlink and Cybertron/Galaxy Force basics as part of their exclusive line, so you get a cheap shot at picking up figures like Arcee, Skyblast, Clocker, Strongarm, etc.

Personally, I'm not into the Movie designs at all, but I did get Stockade and rather enjoy him for all the same reasons. Fast Transformation, well articulated, kind of like Armada Nemesis Prime updated.

15. Kupp

Kupp Relic of a time before time. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I haven't picked up electro, but I have the other 3, they are all awesome. I still plan to get electro some day.

16. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree the Decepticons from Energon are all worth picking up. Only a couple of stinkers though (Insecticon and Demolisher) but otherwise they're pretty great.

17. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

As you yourself said, get G2 Dreadwing and Smokescreen duo in any color deco, you won't do wrong.

Also get G2 Laser OP if you don't have him.

Robot Masters Reverse Convoy/Rebirth Megatron is also great.

Here are some pics of these two in their KO goodness

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Destructicon Scourge is also great.

I would also like to suggest Armada Megatron. He scores in all of the departments you mentioned in your post, apart from articulation. But just like Scourge/Black Convoy, he oozes bad-assery by a gallon.

G2 Laser Rods are also awesome.

Energon Starscream is great, as people said a remold of G2 Smokescreen. But unlike G2 Smokescreen, seems to suffer from bottom kibble in plane mode much more than Smokescreen IMHO.

18. twee

twee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome recs guys. Heh, funny thing, I was looking at all these toys on TFU.info, and while looking at the G2 Laser Rods, I realized I owned Jolt as a kid, and it used to be my favorite toy in the world. I somehow found out on my own that you could take out the light and attach it to the bottom of his hand, so when he was holding his sword it'd light up.

Hopefully I'll find it when I go rummaging through the storage garage again next time I'm at my parents' house.

19. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    you should actually get the G2 laser rod optimus the original Scourge mold.

20. Nerdling

Nerdling Jiminy Jilikers!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cybertron Vector Prime is pretty kickass. Coincidentally I have a white one MIB for sale if you're interested.