Now I know why Machinima won't stop

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wubglitch, Jan 26, 2018.

1. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Mine looks something like this:

G1
    Beast Wars / Beast Machines
    Prime
    Animated
    And from here on I stare at the void.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    I think its just alright.

The writing isn't great, but it suffers more in comparison to the material its drawing from - the IDW comics. Its lacking even half the subtlety and depth, like the writers only read the mini-series.

And at least one actor is very miscast. I love Wil Wheaton, and I get they may have been trying to homage the scientists he's played, but the fact he sounds nowhere near Paul Eiding in any way drives me nuts. MatPat may not be great as Computron, but at least he TRIES to sound like him.

On the other hand, I LOVE Frank Todaro as Starscream, and Judd Nelson, and Overlord's voice, and even tho the animation is limited, it is fairly pretty and they are clearly better at it than in Combiner Wars.

--Moony

3. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Fanstoys ZOMBIE 01

I binged on it, and the more I watched the less interesting it became and the more its issues and failings became all too apparent.

Chalk it up to from what I known to be "anime" influences, but some of the sequences are so long and drawn out with nothing of note happening. The dialogue is more often than not clumsy, bordering on mind numbing. The writers attempts at writing rich new lore (such as Titans being vessels to spread Cybertronian life across the galaxy) fails terribly. Fan pleasing characters (such as the elite squadron of seekers) are obliterated in a split second (that was probably more budgetary than anything) while other characters are focused on an indulged to the point nausea.

The combiners are supposed to be titans in their own right, but every one of them (with the exception of Victorion) are handled like brainless one dimensional, teenagers- making them even less charming than their intellectually inferior G1 counterparts. With the exception of Prime, Windblade and Starscream, the voice acting is nerve grating, not that the weak dialog could in anyway distract from it- it only compounds the awkwardness. Machinima didn't even really explore the powers/arsenals of the combiners vs Trypticon (probably again due to lack of animation budget or complete lack of imagination), such as Devastators drill bit hands, Menasor's gravity shielding, etc.

The writers show their complete ineptitude by not tapping into the endless possibilities of these giant fighting robots. They have been given the privilege of animating stories with these awesome characters, with 30 years of history, these intergalactic robotic lifeforms that have battled for eons as planets and been born and destroyed in their respective life spans, and write them as like obnoxious, clueless adolescents that hit things with their fists and mainly stand around expressing their inability to think or comprehend anything- "Huh!?" "What!?" "Yes?!"

The only thing this cartoon as going for it are the visuals, and that's inconsistent at best. On its surface, this series is stunning, and exactly how I would want a new interpretation of Transformers. The character designs light up all the G1 pleasure centers in my brain, and the cross generational addition of Windblade and others is fresh and long over due- and then it suffers from stagnant drawn out sequences where nothing happens.

Beneath is pretty TF packaging- it offers nothing. I really wanted this to be on par with Star Wars Clone Wars, or some other well handled series with scope and quality, but it has the depth of a pothole on a road to nowhere.

If I cared enough to give a full review of this mess, my post would double or triple in length. There are some Youtubers that sum up their dismay much more succinctly that me. Maybe they'll get it right the next time around.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  4. ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me it's...

G1
    Beast Machines
    Beast Wars
    Prime
    Nothing else is worth watching.

5. HeroSyndrome

HeroSyndrome New Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I actually enjoy them for what they are.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AspiringCreator

AspiringCreator Well-Known Member

I think what ultimately disappoints me about the Machinima show as the potential it had. To give you an idea of how this could've turned out, this show came out after RWBY was released and while some may have problems with it? Let's look at how that was a highly successful cartoon released on the web that actually aimed to tell one long in-depth story. It was thanks in part to that series and others that the floodgates were opened for web animation and in the case of Transformers? It's a perfect medium, especially with how Hasbro promised this would be for more of an older audience which I absolutely applaud as someone who didn't really like RID 2015 and wanted something more mature and different.

And yet when watching Combiner Wars? Even if I watched it late and after my hype had dropped down I was disappointed. It felt like Hasbro had thrown out the scenes to what could've been a great Transformers series... and that's it. Hasbro had a chance to strike a gold mine. It could've had one Transformers series that was lighter and made to get younger children into the brand and it could've had something that focused more on the story and characters for older fans who didn't want to keep digging into the comics for their fix and yet they somehow failed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thundermania

Thundermania Liege Centuro

YouTube:
    Same here.

8. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    There are plenty of 'casual' Transformers fans who probably think the Machinima series are good or decent, and with all entertainment there's a level of subjectiveness to it all.

That said, I believe the Machinima series are objectively bad pieces of Transformers media with very little to actually praise about it, one of the only things being some of the voices they've managed to talk into this. It's unfortunate because these series could have been good, the idea wasn't doomed from the start. It reeks of desperation when they attempt to grab popular and iconic voices, in an attempt to garner interest in these.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Thundermania

YouTube:
    The thing that bothered me is the fact that they got Peter Cullen involved in such a crappy project. It didn't help that they turned Overlord into Foghorn Leghorn.

10. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    Is the new series any better than Combiner Wars? I watched Combiner Wars when it was released and I didn't really like it. The only reason I stuck with it was because the episodes were pretty short. I watched the first episode of the new show, but it was longer than Combiner Wars and I couldn't bring myself to keep watching. Has it gotten any better?

11. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone was expecting topnotch in-depth blockbuster.

I think part of the reason it's so terrible is because it's so short that there's really no time to actually develop what the story is. There are a lot of interesting ideas presented in the series that in a full length series I think could be handled a lot better but in these short episodes it feels like things are happening but I never know how or why things are happening. It's like it expects you to already know the history of this universe that we're in before going into it and I'm not even sure what universe this is. It seems kinda G1ish but at the same time not.

One interesting idea is setting it in a post war time period. The war between Autobots and Decepticons is over. That's an interesting concept however I have no clue how it ended. Optimus went into exile, why? Hot Rod became Rodimus again, why? Starscream was on the council, how? Megatron seems to no longer be able to command his troops, why? And if Megatron is walking around free how is the war even over? I wouldn't expect the war to end unless Megatron is either dead, in prison, or exile... which Megatron was but it appears to be a self inflicted exile so what exactly happened that lead to this?

Another part of it is not just that it's short but also that it's really quiet... Like there's a whole season of just fighting Trypticon that could of been used to actually tell a story of some kind but instead explains nothing.

I know there's a saying of show don't tell but this isn't the days of silent film. That doesn't mean that you can't explain anything just that you don't need to explain everything. If you can tell a story without dialog go ahead and do that. If however you have a confusing set up that requires some dialog for the love of Primus freaking put some exposition in there.

The Bay films have plots that often make no sense what so ever but at least there's an attempt to tell some kind of a story, even if it is a terribly written story. Sane with Armada. This series... is there even a story here? All I see is things happening, I still don't know why things are happening. You can't have a story without a reason.

Jimmy went to the store... Not a story, why did he go to the store? Jimmy went to the store to buy a gift for his girlfriend. Now it's a story. Visually you wouldn't really have to explain that cause you'd see it, it's kinda obvious what a gift is once you see Jimmy to start wrapping it.

However when you have Optimus and Megatron in self imposed exiles at the end of a war... could someone please freaking explain why this is a thing. When you have a council of Rodimus Prime, Starscream, and some new character I've never even heard of before could we please get some back story. Were these three elected some how? If so how the hell did Starscream get elected? Who the hell is the Mistress of Flame and why should I care about her?

I know it's a short series with short episodes. I've had previous experience with Machinima before this so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect. I wasn't expecting much but it honestly feels to me like they are trying to do way too much in too short a time with this one. The scale of the story they're trying to tell is going to take a full length series to actually tell properly. There's no good way to cram that much information into such a short time frame. The result is a series where it feel like things happen for no reason. It's like trying to cram 60 half hour episodes into a 2 hour movie, it just doesn't work. Except worse, it feels like they're trying to cram 300 half hour episodes worth of stories into maybe 10 five minute episodes. It just doesn't work. They don't usually make shows that require the audience to know the source material in order to understand what the hell is happening.

They seem to also be including things like Overlord from Japanese continuity so throwing a character that most Americans are unfamiliar with at Americans expecting them to instantly know who the hell this guy is really doesn't work. I shouldn't need to research Masterforce to understand the motivations of this character. This series should tell me who Overlord is but it doesn't, there's no frame of reference for this character other than I think maybe he's the same dude from Masterforce... though again I'm not even entirely sure what continuity this is. I'm just assuming it's the same character because they seem to share the exact same G1 design. They might be completely different but I'd never know because I've never seen Masterforce. Also I seriously feel like this series expects the audience to have already seen Masterforce to understand anything about this character.

12. Thundermania

YouTube:
    They ripped off a lot of stuff from IDW.

13. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    You'd have REALLY been confused if Prowl had been included! XD

All of the backstory they're badly attempting to build on is in the IDW comics...where all the changes are character-driven and make sense. The war is over and everyone has to deal with the aftermath of peace with formally mortal enemies, and decide what they're going to do with their lives now...or if they can even handle it. The writing post-Furman has been pretty layered, and even deals with questions like femmes and the various types of relationships giant alien robots would have.

Which is why Machinima's attempt to tell stories in that timeline looks like a three year old fingerpainting all over mommy's expensive oil paintings.

--Moony

14. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    IMO the Machinima series was doomed from the moment Hasbro demanded that everything was allowed, but Combiners had to fight.
    Obviously, there has to be action in Transformers, but when that is your only concern as a franchise holder there is something wrong with your ambition.
    And giving your partners creative freedom is a good thing, but saying "you can do anything you want as long as you make them fight." Is not creative freedom. It is a lack of direction.

15. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

I'm glad I didn't have any liquid in my mouth when I read that last sentence otherwise I would of just sprayed Pepsi all over my computer laughing at that.

Anyway... I do have a few IDW comics, mainly just the ones that came with the Thrilling 30 Deluxe figures. Was still confused by those but not anywhere near as bad as Machinima's piss poor attempt at telling a story. My confusion with those comics is mainly due to the fact that I read them out of order. There is a cohesive story there if you actually read them in the correct order. Machnima's problem just seems to be trying to tell too complex of a story in too short a time span.

Honestly Machinima really should of done what they do best, tell their own story. Freeman's Mind is one of my favorite shows that they've done and the reason that works is because they don't try to tell the story of Half-Life, they're trying to tell a story of what's happening in Freeman's Mind as all this crazy shit breaks out around him. I don't even know the story in Half Life but I don't need to because Freeman's Mind is just the main character reacting to things as they happen. I feel like I'm learning what the story is along with Freeman instead of like I need to play the video game to be able to follow the series.

The Transformers series requires the audience to have a pre-existing knowledge of the story in IDW to understand anything that's happening in their series. In this case I think I do need to read IDW in order to understand what the story is in this show. They should be telling their own story not trying to continue an IDW story line or adapt one... or whatever the hell this is... If it's a continuation, it's going to be terrible for people that don't know what lead to this point, if it's an adaptation it's going to be terrible because they have to condense SO much in depth story telling into a short time span where there's no room for in depth story telling.

Red vs. Blue I think has done the best job of telling a story in a five minute episode format. And considering how many characters they have to deal with in a Transformers series... I think Hasbro should of given this project to Rooster Teeth instead of Machnima. Machnima, I don't think can handle a story of this scale with those limitations but Rooster Teeth can.

Of course another issue we have here is the tone of the series. If you notice all these really good five minute web series are comedies. Red vs. Blue does have some darker seasons and episodes but that's only after years of developing their characters and story. The first 100 episodes were comedies. The tone of the series kinda changed after that. And all the stuff about the Freelancer program, the more serious portion of the series, really makes no sense if you don't know about the Sim Troopers, the more comical part of the series. The Sim Troopers originally set up what the Freelancers were so without that frame of reference their story would be like watching Machnima's Transformers. Basically, they should probably make it a comedy rather than a drama.

16. herugrim

herugrim Defiler of Energon

Ebay:
    Combiner Wars was also really popular when they uploaded it to amazon. People thought it was the series they always wanted, a new G1.

Ignorance is bliss I guess? I mean, I enjoy them enough as a guilty pleasure that I can watch for free at will. They are slightly better than your average fan-made stop motion cartoon. The minute I heard 'Machinima' I knew it was going to be garbage tier so I lowered my expectations, and they were pretty much met.

I can't really see how anyone can watch them and not see how objectively bad it is, unless maybe they haven't watched anything since the original cartoon? Hell I'd rather sit through the Unicron Trilogy again than these shows, but that's just me.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Galvatross

Galvatross Online Fandoms Suck! Veteran

Great post overall, but I wanted to quote this part because of how true it is. I seriously LoL whenever I see fans claiming they can make stop motion Youtube videos better than whatever the current series is.

18. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Coolest Avatar on TFW

This is more on Combiner Wars than Titans Return, but I think something that maybe forgotten was the hype built up for it. They were selling this as something that'd be mature, epic, and for the older fans, including the fact that they got a pretty darn good writing staff. Were expectations still too high? Maybe a bit, but this thing was definitely overhyped by Hasbro/Machinima.

19. donxavier

donxavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can't say I agree with that. Animated is one of the worst Transformers shows. Not taking into account the Machinima series, of course.

20. AspiringCreator

AspiringCreator Well-Known Member

What was so bad about Animated?