Now I know why Machinima won't stop

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wubglitch, Jan 26, 2018.

1. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I stand by being glad this series exists, and accepting that it is not, nor was it ever going to be, a high quality, fully fleshed out, fully funded animated series based on G1. That's the pipe dream, but I never had any illusions about this being that. This is more like Forces of Destiny but for Transformers, and more serialized. And I'm fine with that. It's a fun, brief watch, with some nostalgia for me to consume. Which is the only reason I'm here anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  2. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I guess it's just disappointing that this is all they managed in 2017/2018 with, what, 80 minutes and a practically unlimited budget.

Of course I think the same about the swarms of bees that companies pay millions of dollars to cobble together software that barely works and breaks down every week.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I don't understand how anyboan can compare Machinima to the Sunbow cartoon.
    The Sunbow cartoon had it's flaws, but never once was it as bad as this.
    Unless of course you are part of the crowd that thinks a couple of continuity problems make a series of otherwise enjoyable stories terrible writing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    What I am saying is that the Sunbow cartoon by no means was some wonderfully written cartoon. It was intended to sell toys like Machinima. If you want to say which is better, the Sunbow was, but it was nowhere the level of Batman the animated series, gravity falls, TF Animated, and even the more serious Prime series. My point more is, that people maybe skewed by nostalgia.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I'm sorry. You just lost all credibility.
    Talk about being clouded by nostalgia.
    Sunbow created an entire world. Took brave risks. Created entire concepts from scratch.
    Prime and Animated were bad fanfiction which had their moments.
    The only thing either show did well was play to the 84 fanservice geewunners want to see and play it very very safe.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lol @ "credibility" being a thing at all when it comes to wholly subjective appraisals of art. :lol  You all get way too bent out of shape about these things. Chillax.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well, then take it in comparison to a show like Gravity Falls. Which also did all the things you mentioned, but it got better with each episode, and each season. Granted it had less episodes it was forced to make.

G1, was pretty good for the first season, then it became a rinse and repeat plot line for the rest of the 3 seasons. So I understand your point about creating a new universe, but what it did with that newly created universe once in place was pretty lacking. Which is my point entirely, Machinima is just like a season 8 or 9. It's lacking. But if your going to compare season 1-4, and not just season 1, then you gotta take the bad with the good, and seasons 2-4 were no masterpieces and personally I would put Animated and Prime over seasons 2-4 without issue, and without rose colored nastalgia glasses on either. They were just better written shows. And Prime did get nominated for an Emmy.

In terms of losing all credibility, maybe avoid those types of comments, as it tends to be a personal attack for something that is completely opinion based. With opinion there is no right or wrong, just your opinion and mine, and nothing to be personal about. Some times people just disagree. And as an aside, I am a complete G1 junky. I just happened to watch all of the TFers series pretty recently, so this is all fresh in the mind as an old man watching these. Season 1 was much better then expected, season 2-4 felt like, here is a new toy, throw it out there. So that's where that is coming from.

As an aside, the writing for Machinima is crap. But for something that is trying to sell toys, it makes me wonder how you do that and evolve a really damn old story line. At the end Transformers is good guy vs. bad guy. Without shitting out more rinse and repeat story line, it's hard to setup a script introducing new concepts and old characters where it makes people go out and buy these. I personally like the idea of the end of the war and how civilizations deal with that, however, it's hard to do that and sell toys at the same time.

• Like Like x 2
  8. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

I didn’t have high expectations but I was expecting more of, say, a plot at the speed of Justice League Action as opposed to Dragonball Z.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The G1 cartoon was not good, but it was a new idea that captured imaginations. The Machinima stuff is neither.

Though I'm not sure why one crappy cartoon 30 years ago excuses another crappy cartoon today. I think we should want good products, not "it sucked then so it's ok if it sucks now".

10. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus Taste

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Machinma's shows would be better with TeamFourStar in the helm since they know stuff from the Get go.

11. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

The fact that these two shows are a crapfest has nothing to do with Machinima. Machinima was told to do a job, got paid and they did it. The people who greenlighted the mess are the people who took the decision to create such a mess in the first place.

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    lol

13. Alucard77

News Credits:
    And let's be real, the Michael Bay movies aren't writing masterpieces either. Hasbro thinks as long as you give the crowd action, who gives a you know what about the script. It's worked for them.

14. Galvatross

Galvatross Swamp Lord Shrek-traoridinairre! Veteran

Regardless of the level of writing, any single one of the Bay movies is a heck of a lot better than these Machinima series.

And I don't think "Transformers" and "writing masterpieces" belong in the same sentence. Nothing Transformers even comes close to being a "masterpiece" in terms of narrative or character. Transformers is not a masterly brewed craft ale meant to be scrutinized at tasting contests; it's mass produced light beer meant to be served at a college party.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Indeed, even though the comics did a pretty decent job diving a bit further in.

It's the same problem as with Star Wars, after 30 years, there is not much you can do with it. Unless you decide to just take the mythos and take everything in a completely different direction.

• Like Like x 2
  16. TFtoycollector

TFtoycollector I'm British i am

News Credits:
    I don't think it's a case of "we're not stopping because people watch it". They've set out to do a trilogy and that's what we're getting.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

Watch the Machinima episodes at 1.25 speed. Somehow it actually improves them (sure it doesn't fix the clumsy writing, awkward dialog, and flat voice acting) even if only by making the shorter. Ha!

18. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

TBH, subjectivism of art and it's appraisal is a modern logical fallacy, even if a very widespread one...

But if you take BOTH Sunbow and the machinima and start evaluating them by any objective production standards...

... they both come as pretty bad in terms of quality.

• Like Like x 2
  19. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

I didn't realize until just now that, apparently, I like bucktoothed assholes with grating voices...

20. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    I'd say Animated was well written too. But I agree that if folks line up their favorite Transformers series, it's generally some combination of:

G1 (US)
    Masterforce and/or Victory
    Beast Wars
    Animated
    Prime