Heavy/Scratch: Nothin says lovin'.......

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Budokhan, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Budokhan

Budokhan Wheeljack's apprentice

Like a GIANT-ASS minigun on yer shoulder!!

Hehehe... Hey Gang! Just a little goofin' around with a possible future project.......I know this guys been done before but to me this mold just screams ....GUZZLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last pic below is just a quick n dirty colored version of the head in Photoshop! :wink: 

C&C always welcome !

Cheers!

~BK

Attached Files:

2. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    looks pretty sweet! i made my own guzzle out of this mold!

one thing to take notice is the size of the head. you want it the right size to fold in, unless your gonna butcher him up. i used a g1 perceptor head for mine

3. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Cool.

4. Budokhan

Thanks! Just looked at your Guzzle, any more done on him? He looks pretty nice so far! Ya gotta love this mold, he can soo easily made into so many other characters...especially Guzzle!
    As for the head, I'm plannin on re-doing the whole "fold-in" head panel / cavity thing so as to accommodate the new noggin ( If & when I ever get to this guy!) :lol 

Thanks!

5. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Get it done!!!

6. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

i know u will make him awesome,cuz its you

7. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    nah. not yet. iv been working on my Turmoil (using hulk mold also) and a LSOTW Impactor. but now that iv been working with styrene, i think i might use it to redo the chest on my guzzle. to make him look more IDW.
    i can easily say the hulk mold is one of my favorite molds ever.

but good luck! i really cant wait to see how this turns out. your concept for the head just looks sooo badass!

8. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

Guzzle looks fantastic, can't wait to see this done.

And is that the kotobukiya motorized gatling gun? If so, this custom just got eleven times more badass.

9. Budokhan

Thanks for the compliment on the head design! I agree with you totally, the HULK mold is a helluva sweet modding piece & I'm goin for the IDW look my own self! Specifically, this artwork:
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/...s/Autobot Wrecker GUZZLE/IDWGUZZLEBotmode.jpg
    Gonna go as close to the chest,waist & legs art as I can!

You mentioned you were thinking of using styrene to redo Guzzle's chest..If I may, I'd like to give you an alternative which, if you've not tried it before, could work out far better! The stuff I use to do most of my re-contouring & mass-building ( & very highly recommend ) is Aves "Apoxie Sculpt" & you can get it here:

http://www.avesstudio.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=28&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

There are many different flavors you can get but personally I use the "Natural" & "Silver -Grey" as they tend to show up the detail better as you work with the material. The stuff is fabulous! Its a 2 part equal ratio putty & it takes about three hours to fully "cure", during which time it can easily be "shaped" out. Once it does cure, its rock hard! BUT, you can easily carve it, sand it, polish it & paint it!

If you wind up getting some, let me know how you like it? I've been using it for years & love it! Also,you gotta let me know what you think "Part B" smells like to you! To me, It has a very familiar ( but not bad ) odor to it! :wink: 

10. Budokhan

Thanks for the compliments! Good eyes man, you're right! It is the Kotobukiya motorized Gatling gun! Originally I had gotten 2 of them from HLJ.com to use on another project that kinda got stalled. Then I thought of Guzzle the other day & was looking for a good replacement cannon at which point I remembered I had these beauties! EEEureaka!

Now...If I could just find a mini sound board that had Gatling noises on it........:crazy: 

11. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

Here we are again with another awesomely inspiring custom. Can't believe I haven't thought of doing a to scale drawing before. Shall be using that technique for the future!

12. Budokhan

Thanks my friend! :D  I hope it does inspire you to do cool stuff!

Yeah, the scale drawing stuff really really helps to understand size relationships when doing customs. Usually, when I do heads, the first thing I do is to draw a quick,rough thumbnail sketch of what I'm going for. Then Ill refine it to about 90%. After this I scan it into my PC, open it up with Photoshop, change it to a grayscale image & tweak it til it looks like an inked lineart. Once I've done all this, I'll take a measurement from the figure's neckline to get a general idea of how big the head may need to be & resize the image to that measurement. Next, I'll import the image to a new canvas where I'll duplicate the image several times, each one slightly smaller than the previous, so I have a sheet of different sized heads to pick from. Once the right size is chosen based on measurements & aesthetics, Its cut from the sheet & placed on the figure to determine if its truly the "right one"

If not, back to square one! :lol 

13. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

Oh it's definitely inspiring me. :) 

Once I get the bunch of customs I've got in the pipeline out of the way I'll be starting more using everything I've learned from your threads. :D 

That's a really interesting process. I've heard a lot of sculptors, having finished the line art, attach it to some cardboard/ sturdy surface, then cut that out so that the silhouette left in the cardboard is to scale. Then they sculpt within that empty space so that it fills up the silhouette to the correct size and refine from there. Have you ever used that method, too?

14. Budokhan

I'm very happy that my threads have been an inspiration to ya & that you're gonna try some things out from them! For an artist, there's really no greater compliment than to inspire others to follow your examples so, sincerely, Thank you so much! :bowdown: 

To answer your question , yes, I employ that process quite alot actually! Usually I print out my images on cardstock then carefully cut the image out along its edges & use it as a sort of "stencil" to trace onto thin sheet styrene. I'll do that twice (if I'm creating the head from scratch like Guzzle's here will be) to use as a Front & back half separation plane. Then I go to town building up the detail in various mediums like sculptors wax,styrene bits & apoxie sculpt!

I guess one of these days I should get off my duff & make a mini-tutorial on how I do heads huh? :lol 

15. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

Looking fantastic!
    One possibility for using a larger scale head and still have it fit in the tank for transformation is to simply have the head turn to one side before folding in; that way the head can be wider - you just have to make sure it's not to "thick" (deep). I used that trick with my own custom using this mold.
    Also, do you have a link to that motorized gattling gun? I found a non motorized one, but yours sounds like more fun! ( I love leds, sound chips, etc....)
    Hope to see more of your work soon!

16. Budokhan

Thanks for the compliments man! I had given thought of that trick previously but I'm gonna rebuild the Hidden-head-panel-hatches thing so that the new,larger head will hinge inward just like the original would've but there will be more clearance Clarence! :lol 

& yeah, that motorized Gatling gun is just made of pure fun! :D  Here's where I got mine ( & coincidentally they gots lots more goodies ! ) :

(top of the page)
    http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?M...roType2=optkit

Hope that helps some & good luck!

Cheers!

~BK

17. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    that picture of guzzle.. thats not the idw one. thats the g1 version, but just in a more detailed version.
    the idw guzzle is this one here
    [​IMG]

yes! iv been meaning to get some of that. its pretty expensive tho! i was just gonna get the smallest container to work on some heads. but i do want some for some body work, i just feel like maybe the amount of stuff id do to his chest would be best with styrene. BUT! i could use both, to round out areas. i need to get some soon.