Not Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by rapid_fire, Jun 7, 2011.

1. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

So I was browsing the news this morning checking out Transformers news, when I realized over 75% of the news, is Not Transformers news. It seems 3rd party companies have taken over the transformers world lately.. They've even made their way into Botcon showing off their products right in front of Hasbro's faces. Now a lot of the 3rd party products are pretty cool, but I'm and official Transformers kinda guy, I like the stuff Takara and Hasbro come out with, so to see the news page filled with mostly, what I consider knock offs and bootlegs, is getting kinda crazy.

thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Hasbro is dropping the ball.

3. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I feel the same. Those 3rd parties have some nice engineering there, but I'd like to see Hasbro do those stuff and have not others infringing their intellectual properties.

4. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

I'm not really sure where I was going with my original post, but I thought it was interesting to see just how much 3rd party stuff is going on right now. Is this really the direction the fandom is going? Do you think we'll eventually ditch Hasbro/Takara and concentrate on mostly 3rd party collectibles?

5. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Ditching Hasbro would result in them ditching the Media that should support their toys.

6. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    Not me. I can't justify spending the 3rd party prices, so I need to stick with Hasbro's retail offerings. So far Hasbro makes enough great TFs to keep me more than happy (and broke) and I hope that continues.

7. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Some people have a very bizarre and binary view of things. If the last awesome (to them) thing they heard about was made by Hasbro, Hasbro's wonderful. If it was nonofficial, Hasbro's dropping the ball.

I think the rise of "third parties" is inherently interesting. But do me a solid, check what percentage of your collection is made up of Hasbro products. :p 

8. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I find it amazing that today it's easier to get third party Not-Transformers than Hasbro/Takara Products. I still haven't found Generations Rumble and Frenzy yet but I've seen hundreds of Tuner Mudflaps. Also Hasbro is making a lot of DOTM Transformers that just don't transform. At least 3rd party companys have the right idea about that.

9. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I don't have a problem with 3rd party stuff that uses original molds, or enhances an existing HesTak figure. I do see, though, why people have a problem with stuff like iGears Coneheads MPs.

10. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I have no problem whatsoever with 3rd party companies coming and and filling the clear and obvious gaps that Hasbro has left wide open. The iGear Coneheads look to be amazing (my Not-Ramjet should be here any day now) and the Not-Devastator is one piece that collectors have been wanting for years. Add those figures on to FansProjects add-on pieces and we finally have the completed figures many of us have been wanting for many years. The 3rd party companies aren't doing anything wrong by taking something that exists in one form and improving upon it. I for one am ecstatic that I have even more Masterpiece figures to add to my collection that aren't Optimus Prime or some derivation thereof. I hope iGear and FansProject are around for quite some time, supplying their customers with the figures we want but Hasbro either won't or hasn't made.

Truth be told, even though I already paid for the iGear Coneheads, if Takara released their own versions of the same figures, I would probably buy them as well.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Never have I seen so much wrong in one post in my entire life. :rolleyes2 

Thread concluded, good day everyone!

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

With Bot Con being the big Transformers only convention I was expecting more out of Hasbro. Not a lot to get excited about that will be showing up at places like Wal-Mart or Target.

3rd parties seem to have been picking up better on the characters that Hasbro aren't doing or tried to pass off as a Power Combiners figure instead of as a Classics figure.

I think I'm going to have to agree with Backscatter that it is odd how hard it's getting to get the official Hasbro products. If you are going to have to spend a big wad of cash to some scalper on e-Bay then maybe it would just be better to get the 3rd party choice. At least giving money to a third party goes toward more cool releases Hasbro will not do while buying from a scalper only helps the scalper.

Don't get me wrong Hasbro has done some great looking figures but there are times when it seems like the 3rd parties are more responsive to what people might be looking for. It's sort of like Hasbro is just a little too focused on the movie that they kind of forgot that other fans might like some exciting toy reveals.

13. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Well, for me, personally, my interest in (current) TFs is at an all time low. I don't like the current comics, the movies, Prime (didn't get into Animated, either)... and, therefore, don't like most of the toys coming out (with a few exceptions).

So, when you have 3rd party guys making fan fav characters or add ons for cool older toys... my interest goes up.

That being said, I don't care for straight up rip off stuff like Faith Leader or the Coneheads from I Gear (or real bootleg stuff like ripoff Metroplexes and Constrcuticons and the like. PS- those things are "bootlegs" and most of the stuff bandied about as knock offs or bootlegs aren't, in fact). Everything else is pretty fair game, I feel (generally being Marvel/Sunbow designs being adapted, with no actual use of IP trademarks. No one at Marvel knows who "Impactor" was, and while hasbro certainly does, he appears a handful of times anywhere, and they would have a hard time going after anyone. Now, the tooling may be another matter). I mean, Hasbro/Takara would have a hard time suing you for making something that looks vaguely like, say, Springer. Especially when it's not called Springer, and only has vague Springer design cues, but is a completely original tooling. You and I know it's meant to be Springer, but proving it in a court of law would probably be tricky.

I suspect I'm not alone feeling this way.

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Many of the 3rd party announcements also generate a great deal of discussion, either through controversy or interest, and those threads tend to linger around the front pages, even as "Transformers" news gets pushed down to later pages.

15. madhatprime

madhatprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Keep in mind that hasbro is much larger than any third party companies. Hasbro has to go with whats popular to the masses. Now it's the movie figures. Generation will be back. That is for US - the collectors. The designers and marketers at Hasbro are TF fans as well, so they ARE us. They love their designs, so it is exciting to them when anything gets released, movie figures included. Plus we are getting G1 Unicron this year and it looks great. Sure Takara made one, but it's nice to see that we are not forgotten when it comes to toys. I think we will see some things, but Hasbro needs to keep hype up as well, so maybe an Arcee will pop up. I would love it too...
    I just want a MP thundercracker US release damnit! Hasbro didn't confirm or deny when I asked them about it coming...

16. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^This. I'm not a Hasbro hater by any means, but if another company is making a figure that Hasbro isn't, and it's easier to get a hold of it, of course I am going to go that route. There is a lot of stuff coming out that people have been wanting for years, so that's why there's a lot of buzz over it.

17. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

I too am with the "everything but iGear's knock offs are great!"

I do sigh when I see a pair of hands, or a new head on the markey for about $30, ridiculously not needed....if that makes sense.

For the most part, Not-Dev's is something Hasbro will not give us, so yes, great but a small masterpiece prime or a modded masterpiece screamer? No, knock off, shouldn't be allowed, Hasbro should've walked over the iGear's table and trashed the damn things!

Add on kits are great when done well, recreations of existing characters, sort of okay, (the FP and iGear minibots are on the line as they're not too different in overall look from the G1 toys).

Hopefully the more there is the cheaper they'll become. It's easier to drop £80 on a big toy or upgrade kit, it's a lot more difficult to drop £20 or a targetmaster.

18. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this^

there are more people that like classics than movie toys on here, by a landslide, so those threads have more responses, seeing as third party toys are mostly add ons for classics, you do the math

19. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not to mention, all the Hasbro news got bumped off quick this BotCon season due to disinterest. Anything actually cool is tied up in NDAs until the movie's released, leaving the 3rd Party stuff to be the only major reveals of substance. Just wait a couple of weeks until the movie hits. And then after the DotM season ends, and more Generations news explodes out the gate. Complete reversal, I'm sure.