Not slamming Bay but I really woulda liked a fresh take for TF4

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by mirage4lifeyo, Apr 10, 2012.

1. mirage4lifeyo

mirage4lifeyo Well-Known Member

I know it made so much money there was no way he was gonna walk away from all that phat cash with another installment. But I really would have liked to see a different director's take on the franchise just to vary it up....that woulda been nice. I say that without passing judgment on the past three films, just saying change is good...I mean that's what Transformers do is change into different things dammit.

The issue when the live action movie franchise first started of not necessarily being able to convince any director out there that it was a worthwhile endeavor is long gone. Nowadays you'd have bigtimers lining up to put their stamp on this mega-franchise. Would it not be fun to see a take by J.J. Abrams or James Cameron or Ridley Scott or you name it? Oh well. If nothing else with Bay whether you are for him or against him we all pretty much know what things to expect from him in terms of the tone and style of the films. That's where I'm saying it sure coudla been fun just to see a variation.

2. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Really, Bay just doesn't have it in him to make something truly great.
    I mean yea, the movies are special effects master pieces, but the movies as a whole are mediocre.
    I'm all set for fresh, new take on the Transformers. And hypothetically, maybe we'd actually get a decent one this time; one that would be on par with the Marvel franchise.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yes.

If Marvel Studios and Chris Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy can make fantastic and compelling geektastic action flicks. Why not Transformers.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd like to see a director who isn't well known, if only because then we might get one who makes an amazing Transformers film, rather than a film that fits into their catalog or filmography.

5. ShOcKwAvE1213

ShOcKwAvE1213 THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

I think the only other director that I'd like to see is Christopher Nolan. He is a great director, that that doesn't pay attention to the love part of a movie.

I don't think James Cameron will be a good director for TF as many people think. He'd just bring two people having sex in BB or some other car. Bay really overdid it with all the love stuff in DOTM, I hope he doesn't do the same in TF4. I feel that Cameron will have 10x more of a love based story than DOTM.

You can't really get a better director for action sequences than Bay, but you can get a better director for a story, and plot.

6. Cogar

Cogar Follower of the Code

I can't think of anyone who has made a bigger string of live action film hits based on a toyline, comic, or series of books. I understand that everyone has ideas regarding how things could have been improved, but the reality is that Bay may be the best available for live action TF--full stop. As I've said in other threads, where the movies are lacking are in the plot, character development, etc. Bay (and Spielberg) need much better writers. They had to "settle" in the beginning, because a live action movie based on a toy line was risky. They should not have to compromise any more.

7. mirage4lifeyo

mirage4lifeyo Well-Known Member

Cogar - to a degree but at the same time it's no secret that Bay has often clashed with the writers he's had. This board in general is fairly gaga over Transformers Prime and that is produced by the same pair of writers Bay originally had. And plot and character development are sorta pivotal to a movie experience. The action is good, yes, but at best that's one of three elements to a film along with those other two that were just listed...can't just base it on one out of three.

8. Cogar

Cogar Follower of the Code

I get it, but if he clashed with the writers (the sources of plot and character development), what makes you sure that it would have been better if he hadn't?

The first film and the second film and Prime have the same writers. I liked (and like) all three. Still, the writing in all of them could have been better. Realistically, the quality of TF1, the best of the three movies, was pretty much the same as Captain America, G.I. Joe, and John Carter. Although it was a good professional effort, there is room to improve IMO.

9. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

Personally? I think the best thing Paramount could do is hand over the franchise to Brad Bird.

10. toaster

toaster It's Hip to be Square !

Agreed. After Mission Impossible 4, Brad Bird seems to have the skils to make a great action movie with an actual plot and characters. Plus, he knows how to pick the right action coreography for each character.

11. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

James Cameron made Terminator. I want a Terminator styled Transformers where the Cons are god powerful, hunting down the Bots mercilessly.

But I'll take whatever's coming too.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think if Micheal Bay was an artist he would have been able to walk away from the Transformers franchise. We've seen other artist leave a franchise even when big money was offered by a studio and unless he's blowing all his money it's not like he's headed to the poor house any time soon.

A very different take would be nice though. One of the cool things about the Batman cartoons over the past few decades is that you could expect big changes to really shake things up. If they had just retreaded Batman the Animated Series over and over again then we would not have gotten Batman Beyond or Batman Brave and the Bold. So it feels like something new would be better than more of the same from the same production only with a new human cast.

13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Have you actually watched any of James Cameron's filmography? Care to point out the 'lovey dovey' nonsense in say, Terminator 2, arguably his finest movie. Or was the romance between two adults in Terminator (Jesus, Linda Hamilton and Michael Behin could act rings around Rosie/Megan and Shia) and the subtle attraction between Ripley and Hicks too subtle.

Titanic was pitched as a romance epic, so it doesn't count, and Avatar is basically John Carter of Mars without the burden or excuse of being John Carter of Mars so it covers all the old tropes of genre fiction, including romance.

In short, you are talking out of your arse.

14. Vulcan

Vulcan Well-Known Member

It's just my opinion, but I think Bay has trouble directing virtual actors. I believe that's why he pays so much attentions to the human. Cameron proved he doesn't have the same hang-ups in that area when he made Avatar.

15. Loosecannon

Loosecannon Cos I know I'm right...

Whoever writes / directs just needs to see the transformers themselves as the characters in the story, not the extras.

Easy.

But Bay still failed that on all 3 attempts...

16. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I still think they should not make a Transformers Action Movie with Comedy but a proper Comedy with Action staring Mudflap & Skids, with a previously unseen Villan Decepticon (say someone like Clench) and a small guest appearances by Jolt, Dino and Bumblebee and others.

It would be The twins making Leo's life hell as they latch onto him in the same way Sam has Bumblebee and eventually the Twins achieve their dream and learn to combine and defeat the Decepticon - causing much havok in the process.

Then we can forget about tedious shouty man Sam and his doopey Girlfriend and just have fun with it. The Movie would be 1:30mins

I think that would be fun to do and sidesteps some of the issues the main movie franchise has collected along the way like a lack of living villans and Optimus being a nut job, or the main robot being either to serious or unable to speak.

And even if it was a comedy they would be the stars and would help to prove Transformers can be characters and not just a weapons delivery platfrom, or something that acts like an overgrown Minicon.

Oh and when we get a Reboot I'd not say no to Tony Todd (Enemy of the State).

17. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Really? What rock have you been living under?

18. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    When I'm talking out of my arse, and believe me I do, you'll know it and I fully expect to be called on it. This however was not one of those times.

You should familiarise yourself with these movies:

The Terminator
    Terminator 2: Judgement Day
    Alien (Not James Cameron, but Ridley Scott. Check out his other work too)
    Aliens
    True Lies

Once you have watched these, you may fire back at me a full broadside that I'm full of shit regarding how Cameron structured his good movies, but not before.

I think that Neil Blompkamp (sp) would make an excellent director for a different take on TF from the directors chair. But ILM must do the effects...ILM, when you absolutley, positively must impress every motherfucker in the theatre, accept no substitute.

19. RoadBuster88

RoadBuster88 Studio Ghibli

The Aliens films are proper classics :)  I think what made them so good was that they didnt rely on CGI, Stan Winston and his team made them all look perfect which only enhanced the atmosphere and thrill.

Bit different for TF's as they have to be CGI but ILM are the best in the business so no worries there. District 9 is one of my faves, and also, the Halo short that Blomkamp did (i think he did it) is awesome so Blomkamp would be awesome.

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Neill Blomkamp would make an interesting choice. The Prawns just might win the contest for ugliest creatures in a sci fi movie but Blomkamp did a great job of making people feel for the aliens. The stuff that was done with the Prawn mech really beat some of the stuff I've seen from even the mega budget Hollywood action films.