Not Nerdy Enough?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Sep 3, 2012.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

Rants - NOT NERDY ENOUGH?? - YouTube

I saw this today which inspired me to make this topic. Obviously we're all Transformers nerds because we're all on this web site but at the end of this video he asks what's something nerdy that you hate. So I'm curious, do people who all like the same thing (Transformers) also hate the same thing?

A few ground rules first because I know this is going to spark some debates.

1. No flaming. This topic is about opinions not facts so do not under any circumstances call anyone an idiot or any other name just because they don't like the thing that you like.

2. You have to post something nerdy you hate before you can start commenting on anything someone else wrote. If you can't contribute to the topic first then you can't debate anyone's opinion who has contributed. This rule is in place to hopefully prevent the topic from totally derailing.

3. Any debate that does start can not be more than a page long unless you contribute to the tread again then you can have another page and so on. Again this is to prevent the topic from derailing.

4. Contribute something nerdy you hate or get out. To elaborate on this, read 2 and 3 again.

I think the top of my list of things people geek out over that I hate is Lord of the Rings. The entire plot revolves around a single ring which the characters are fighting over to use it's power which it's never quite clear what it's power actually is or trying to destroy it. So it's like all the worst plot device heavy episodes of Transformers combined only about 100 times worse. And it has a really ugly dude running around the whole time in nothing but a skimpy loin cloth. I can't relate with any of the characters, the villain seems to be an eye ball on a giant tower. I just don't see what's so great about it. I think anyone who can spell, or at least use spell check on a computer, can write a better story than that. The worst part is it never seems to end. I mean it would be fine if that were only the plot of the first book or something but no it goes on forever. Just destroy the ring already so the only thing driving this poor excuse of a story can finally end.

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well for what its worth, I both love & hate it when people get seriously upset over shit like ponies, transformers & yugioh. I mean on one hand it's often hilarious to observe from the sidelines, but at the same time there's only so much I can be around before just losing interest in the vast community aspect for a while.

3. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I can probably be quantified as a nerd, yes. I'm very specific in what I like, though, so there's a huge portion of this "nerdom" thing that I just don't follow. I'm completely bored by the fantasy genre, and a huge portion of Sci-Fi. I know that leaves a really small window, but so much of what I can walk into Hot Topic and find is completely past my interest. Doctor Who, Star Trek, superhero comics, hell, even certain aspects of Transformers completely fail to grab my attention. It's kind of odd, really. I'm the kind of person who spends my Saturday nights dusting my toy collection, but all of the conventional franchises of nerdiness are completely missing. I guess the proper term for me isn't "nerd" per se, but rather "otaku". Practically everything I really love comes from Japan in some way or another. I don't particularly hate things that aren't from Japan, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't sometimes feel superiority from obscurity.
    Note that all of this talk of obscurity is coming from the person with the Tsukihi Araragi avatar. Hypocrisy at its finest.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't like whatever the hell nerd shit led to that video. Christ that was painful to watch.

Let me save everybody 5 minutes. You remember how when someone doesn't think the same things as you about Transformers, and you say they're "not a true fan", and it makes you look like a goddamn jackass? Yeah, that applies the same way to "You're not a real nerd / you're not nerdy enough if you don't like _____". It makes you look like a jackass.

5. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Dragonball Kai kinda does suck though.

6. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

but dragonball z abrigded is the best!

DOOOOODGE!!!

7. SaberPrime

Oddly enough despite the fact that I've seen multiple versions of Doctor Who and really love Hithhiker's Guide to the Galaxy I've never gotten into it until Matt Smith came along.

I know Douglas Adams, wrote a few episodes of Doctor Who and I thought the show, even the episodes that aren't written by him have that same sort of Comedy/Sci-Fi blend that made me love H2G2 in the first place but for some reason Doctor Who just never stuck with me before. I don't know why exactly but with the Matt Smith version I'm actually starting to get into for the first time. Of course every so often I'll have to go talk to my dad because he'll make a reference to one of his past lives that I won't understand because I haven't seen it.

I've seen a special that was talking about the different Doctors and they had mentioned that despite having the memories of all the previous doctors every time he regenerates he kinda has to get use to his body all over again. Like the first time we see Matt Smith he doesn't even know what kind of food he likes. So every doctor is the same but different and I guess the fans just connect with a specific version of the Doctor and that's like their Doctor. So I guess after seeing various versions from the time I was 5 up till now being 26 Matt Smith was the first Doctor I really connected with. I don't know if any of this makes any sense but maybe it will to someone that actually knows Doctor Who.

Star Trek is another thing I don't entirely nerd out over but I don't hate it either. My dad's a huge Trekie even more so than a Whovian and when I was little the current running series at the time was of course The Next Generation. Deep Space was a direct spin off from that as the characters first appeared on TNG before getting their own series and a couple of the TNG characters transferred over to the new series so I continued watching it on my own from there. Voyager had an entirely new cast and though I have seen a few episodes it started to loose it's interest with me sense it wasn't the characters I grew up with. Same thing with Enterprise. The original Star Trek I never got into that much either because... well... for someone who grew up with TNG it looks really fake and cheesy as hell. For the time it was made that was probably the best special effects ever but for the 90's it doesn't hold up.

And though I can geek out and talk for days about Super Hero cartoons and movies, I have only read maybe 6 total comics in my life... actually I take that back because City of Heroes had a monthly comic book when it first came out that got sent in the mail to all their players with an active account. I stopped playing almost 2 years ago because when the game went free I had trouble logging on and then my computer died. Apparently now they're closing down for good which is kinda sad news cause I was actually interested in returning to the game but I still don't have a computer that can handle it. Not having a comic book store in my area getting a hold of an actual comic book is almost impossible. I'm pretty sure I would be homeless sitting on the street with a massive comic book collection in a suit case if I had easy access to a comic book store though so that might be a good thing.

8. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    Not a fan of "Buffy" or "Angel". They're WAY overrated.

And then they were upon me.

9. SaberPrime

Just so you know that came off totally the wrong way... until I read the rest of what you had to say.

Totally agree with everything you just said here and award you with over 9,000 imaginary nerd points!

BTW I have no idea what "Over 9,000" is even a reference to. All I know is that in every video TJOmega uploads of Metrocon that always seems to come up during every single panel.

The imaginary points bit is a reference to "Who's Line is it Anyway?"

Um... you didn't contribute anything to the thread before you posted a reply. Did you not read the big bold red text? Please post something nerdy that you hate before you comment on another post.

10. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Avatar the one with smurf cats I felt it was waaay overated I liked it best when it was called Dances with Wolves.

11. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Easily the best incarnation. I do however get mildly irked when people constantly quote shit from stuff like that, and then expect others around them to not only get every reference, but somehow use it to further a completely unrelated conversation.

Also, Space Weed > Space Australia

12. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Does anyone else see the massive irony in this single sentence when coming from a Transformers fan?

Substitute 'single ring' for 'the matrix' and BOOM.

13. SaberPrime

Hey read the big the red text. You're suppose to the contribute something nerdy you don't like before you comment on another post.

Anyway...

The Matrix just kinda sits in Prime's chest. It's there but not the main entire focus of the entire plot. Plus we know what it does, it freaking kills Unicron. Unless it's the Unicron Trilogy ironically then when used with Vector Prime's sword opens up space bridges. And in the live action movies it resurrects dead Transformers. Oh, wait... I forgot one... we really don't know what the Matrix is in RID do we?

That's like trying to compare the ring from Lord of the Rings with a Green Lantern ring. Green Lantern ring makes constructs, anything it's user can imagine. LotR Ring does... I have no idea. Green Lantern ring is a tool used by characters. LotR Ring is a massive plot device that drives multiple stories. Not exactly the same thing.

I don't mind objects like that in stories when they aren't the main focus of the entire plot. Plus even when Transformers does do that like several episodes of Prime I don't like, they at least give us a clear explanation of what the plot device actually does where as Lord of the Rings doesn't even do that. Granted it's not much of a difference but it's enough that I can at least tolerate when Transformers does it. I'd still prefer they didn't.

14. gregles

gregles quintesson

here is something nerdy I don't like, World of Warcraft it seem to destroy social lives and friendships. I once tried it and at first impression it felt like a really dated and glitchy game where the people there were really obnoxious. I was tempted to give it a second more fair go, but I'm scared of it being like smoking and getting hopelessly addicted

15. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm a huge nerd. I like plenty of nerdy things, and those that I'm not a fan of, I respect (yes, even My Little Pony). The only thing I really hate is Twilight, but that doesn't count, since no true nerd likes it anyway.

16. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The Matrix is most certainly just as much of a plot device as the One Ring, in both the G1 movie and ROTF. It is a literal device used to advance the plot, as the good guys try to get it into the right hands and to the right place so it can fulfill an ancient prophecy, and while the bad guys try to steal it away to abuse it's power for their own ends (and prevent it from foiling their plans).

This is something I think really forms a barrier for fans of one franchise being able to appreciate other franchises: being seemingly unable to analyze plots and characters down to their archetypical cores, and see them as reflections, reinterpretations, and commentaries on the original monomyths that go back all through the history of human storytelling. They focus on power levels and witty quotes instead of character motivations, themes, and influences. Fans get caught up in the details and the apocrypha, and lose the ability to see the forest for the trees.

17. robodog

robodog Fur, Fangs and Steel

There's plenty of nerdy things I don't really care for. The Dark Knight trilogy, Lord Of The Rings and anime for example. I don't hate them and I respect the fanbases but they just don't appeal to me personally. The only thing I like about Star Trek is the character Data and that's because I love robot and android characters in fiction.
    But just as there are several fairly popular things I dislike there are several things I love that most people don't get. It's just the way things are I guess. Live and let live.

18. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

Something nerdy that I hate with incredible fury is anime statues. I hate them for two reasons.

One, this is the junk we get instead of proper action figures. Anime is not all stupid card-collecting games and middle school drama. There are pirates and ninjas and sorcerers and robots and all kinds of stuff that would make great action figures. So of course all we usually get is %$@#^& statue after %$@#^& statue. But on the rare occasion that anybody in the toy industry deigns to pick up a license, they excrete the steaming piles that were the Naruto and One Piece lines, both of which had all of the fun and excitement of Starting Lineup's Heroes of Shuffleboard. What kind of diarrhea brain came up with statues of ball players as a toy line anyway?

Two, they are the same crap over and over. At Otakon this year I could not tell you what most of the dealers were even selling. It was all statues of little girls. That's it. I don't think half of it was even from any particular anime. Just put an 8 year old in an elaborate fetish costume and you're good to go. God forbid anybody be interested in absolutely anything else. For a convention where people still dress up as characters from the 1990s, there's jack all to buy, even statues, from anything not released last month, unless of course you need a 2903746th statue of Rei or Asuka from Evangelion (because there are absolutely no other characters in that series).

19. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In my case, while there's not much I dislike enough to waste the energy on hate, there are few stereotypical "nerd" things that I actually like. I don't like Star Trek, found all six Star Wars movies equally bad, don't play video games, don't play RPGs/tabletop games/MMORPGS/LARPS/etc, don't like Joss Whedon's work, have little interest in most fantasy and/or sci-fi tv shows or movies (LotR being one of the few exceptions), watch very little anime, don't read superhero comics any more, have no desire to go to a sci-fi/fantasy/comic/anime/Transformers convention, etc. While there are some graphic novels, manga and cartoons I enjoy, Transformers is really my only major 'nerd' hobby.

If I absolutely had to pick something I hate, it wouldn't be a franchise, movie or whatever. It would be the tendency I've noticed for 'nerds' to absolutely lose their shit and over-react to damn near every single minor thing they don't like about whatever franchise(s) they happen to follow. Or the accompanying tendency for 'nerds' to absolutely lose their shit and over-react to the very existence of the franchise(s) they don't like.

20. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 Some sort of artist

Alien invasion movies where they come in big huge ships kill almost every human on earth except [enter names here] and they have to kill the aliens . Yes I relized I basically described DotM but that was only one city. Any time I see a movie like that I'm like really now I'm a firm believer in aliens and I feel that these movies make fun of aliens . LOTR tooi only like the golem falling into the valcano