Not liking Dreamwave so far

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Superion33, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I just got my hands on the comic books for Generation 1 and really not digging the story telling in Dreamwave. Volume 1 was the most decent. Then it got much worse as the series progressed. What was up with Sunstorm? Nobody even fully described who he was or what his purpose was. He just came out of nowhere, trashed a lot of stuff, acted like a loon, and then blew himself up. Even how Jetfire trahes him has you scratching your head. He just simply grabbed him and moved him out of the vicinity of earth? He did this to a guy that basically knocked out Omega Supreme.

I was honestly looking forward to reading these comics. Hopefully, when I buy IDW, they're better at writing. Please tell me they're better...

2. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    What? Dreamwave was the best. Much better than whatever it is IDW is spitting out. Although some of the spotlights are pretty cool. Regardless I still buy all of it.

Sunstorm makes sense, he's awesome! All Seekers are awesome :D .

EDIT: Come to think about it, I didn't like DW G1, that was the one where Jazz and Marissa were fighting err something right? I did like the WWI series though.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    IDW is better. Not by a huge amount in my opinion, but still better.
    I stuck with Dreamwave all through its run but I wasn't overly fond of the stories or the artwork.
    I'm more a Marvel TF fan. :) 

4. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I agree, IDW did a much better job with the TF stuff......up to a point, that is.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    IDW's movie stuff has probably been their best and most consistent fare.

6. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Setting aside any comparisons to IDW, even... you just said Volume One was the best thing they did. Volume dull-as-shit-on-a-stick every-mindless-action-movie-cliche watch-out-the-janitor-knows-more-than-he's-letting-on ONE. URGH.

That's not to say that what came after was perfect, of course, there was still a lot wrong with it, and never getting anything resembling a frickin' answer about ANYTHING was the biggest problem in my book. McDonough and Patyk just kept piling on the mysteries, without ever offering any semblance of an answer.

Regarding Sunstorm, though, the INTENTION seems to have been something like this: he's been brought online by a data-burst consisting of the entire compressed contents of Vector Sigma. So, he is, essentially, infused with the power of Primus. Then, he gets dunked in a pool of mysterious purple googe - a pool with an energy signature previously established to match the signature coming from Scourge, a creation of Unicron. Power of Primus meets power of Unicron = kablammo. And that's why Sunstorm blew up.

7. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Thats ultimately what frustrated me. The motivations and plot points were unclear. Where was Jetfire for a million years? Where was Omega Supreme? What was Shockwave's ultimate plan with the matrix? How did he fall down the pit of doom, survive, and then somehow be back on earth? What in the world was that pit on earth? Where did it come from?

One thing I did not like was how bots were killed all the time but did not stay dead. They just seemed like immortal beings. Even being stomped on by a combiner didn't kill you - just took you offline. That really took away a lot from me. Either show that death is possible or don't portray things that would kill you like having your entire abdomen shot out or a huge laser blast to the entire face.

The reason why I liked Volume 1 was because they kept it simple. Plus it was nice just to get reacquainted with the bots. The simple back story of Lazarus and Prime/Megatron's confrontation was enough psychoanalyzing.

The writing was just plain awful. Megatron sounded like a wuss. After getting almost completely annihilated by Starscream, floating around in Outer Space, retaking his position - his only words to Starscream were "whelp"? What kinda word choice is that? Usurper? Traitor? Even something insulting. But whelp? Whelp can even be used in a good, joking connotation. The writer did a poor job of differentiating the speech of all the robots. The only ones he did well were the most obvious - Kickback, Omega Supreme, Perceptor, Warpath, etc. And most of those were because of HOW they talked, not what they said. The writer didn't do a good job of bringing out the personalities by their speech.

Don't get me wrong, I thought the visuals were awesome. Simply stunning. I loved seeing all the G1 bots back. And the story was meh to average. Not anything spectacular.

8. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    In my opinion, IDW is much better, especially when Furman is writing.

The art is a little better in the Dreamwave stuff, the writing's usually better in the IDW stuff.

And both are leaps and bounds better than 90% of the G1 cartoon.:thumbs2: 

9. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    IIRC, Jetfire was buried under ice for millions of years, and at some point Starscream found him and brought him back to the Nemesis. Omega Supreme was aboard Jetfire's shuttle that was brought down by Scourge, in a sort of stasis lock. Jetfire roused him from his slumber during the Sunstorm crisis.

Something that bothered me about McDonough and Patyk's writing was the attempt to sound like Furman. Having you characters say "Hnnnnn" every few panels for no apparent reason doesn't make you Furman.

10. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I think most of the new comics have been minimal substance, all style.

While the first 6-story miniseries was great as well as the MTMTE profile books, the extended DW story was lots of unfinished and half-told stories. And it didn't help the series dying off in issue 10 due to the shady business deals.

And the whole armada series was pretty bad too with one interesting part of the Depiction of Unicron as a universe jumping exterminator of Primus... Helped cement a little bit of the multiverse Lore and feed into the OTFCC's universe storyline.

I think what made the first series of DW so good in comparison is it attempted to possibly be a story that filled in the cartoon show between Season 2 and the Movie. And people really liked this. But instead it became another re-tread series which people ended up not liking... Especially since The War Within Series 1 appeared to be a really good Prequel to the Cartoon series.

Until Megs and Prime were obliterated in a spacebridge and never came back in volume 2.

So the short list of what is decent from the Dreamwave years:
    *Series 1: those first 6 comics (the continuing series is junk)
    *TWW Series 1: (2 was not even inked in issue 6 and series 3 never finished)
    *The MTMTE Source Books
    *The one or two Armada books with the worlds collide are interesting but not great.

The only thing of value that came out of that era was Don's War Within designs. He made a measurable impact on TFs that can be seen as those designs have become basically official.

11. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I despise DW for introducing Sunstorm and White Prime Magnus. I also just thought their story's were worse then the G1 show.

12. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, y'know, I really just can't disagree with that enough. I felt that if Patyk and McDonough had one strength it was precisely that they were ABLE to convey personality through dialogue, certianly much moreso than Simon Furman ever was or is able to even now, with all this characters that use the same odd turns of phrase and methods of speaking. I can't remember the last time we got a scene like that one circa the Sunstorm arc, of the six Autobots sitting around a table on Cybertron debating what their next move should be, where their opinions characterized them so well. And I *love* Sunstreaker's dialogue in the Insecticon two-parter. He's such a *bastard*.

And Megatron called Starscream a "whelp" because it's a tiny, dismissive word. He doesn't *rate* Starscream enough - he's just a little, impudent pup in Megatron's eyes, a whelp. It totally works. Patyk and McDonough's Megatron was a rather understated one - he didn't spring into childish rages and scream and shout. He used insults like that.

13. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well i liked what little I had from the DW comics. And all the Mysteries where supposed to be revealed in comics that would have been published if they hadn't gone bankrupted.

IDW, well they had the best story of any TF comic publisher ever, and then AHM happened....

14. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I actually agree with everything you said. Didn't read the Armada or Energon series though. Never really followed the A/E/C series as I could never get into the animation style or its kiddiness. I liked the Bio books too. What really annoys me right now is having dropped a huge wad of cash on Dreamwave. I was simply stunned by the gorgeous artwork but the story/writing was a horrible let down. Not to mention I am now set back quite a few!

Fortunately, I just finished the first War Within comic and the writing is noticeably different. I am not familiar with Simon Furman, but his writing style seems a little more different. He still had some vague references, and his writing could be clearer instead of so obtuse. I wonder if comic book writers purposely do that so they can go off some weird tangent in the future and say "thats what the previous line in issue #14 was referring to"? As if they actually planned the entire story out in advance but in reality are just making it up on the fly and being vague enough with specifics that it gives the illusion of that.

15. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Uh oh. Let me apologize in advance, then. :lol 

What I loved about DW was the introduction of a wicked new G1 character in Sunstorm, and that we finally got to see Ultra Magnus' true form officially canonized into fiction.

16. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

This is the first time I've actually debated with anyone over written words in a story. Its really odd how the mind works. I didn't see whelp at all the way you did. Like I said before, whelp to me means a word sheepishly said at usually the protagonist by a grizzled veteran. Something chiding yet still positive. Like I could see Kup calling Hot Rod that. I guess thats the beauty of books - we all get a different picture of what we read.

The reason why I didn't like the "conference room scene" was because the characters were hyperboles of one certain personality trait. The whiner - Huffer. The cowboy - Ironhide. And so on. Sunstreaker was the cocky bastard, tho I did not think they brought out his personality enough.

I think a better approach would be to focus on a handful of Autobots and Decepticons in each Volume. That would allow the writer to really flesh out their personalities. Instead of just throwing in Cosmos, Powerglide, Cliffjumper, Bumblebee, Bumper, Warpath, Seaspray, Beachcomber, Jetfire, Omega Supreme, etc, only show 5 of them the entire series. You really never got to know any of them, which is one of the problems of having a franchise with a multitude of characters.

17. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Seriously? To each his own, I guess.

At their worst, I'd say they're equal.

18. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Dreamwaves good stuff for me is the War Within first story, where Prime is all like "Fuck you Grimlock, the Autobots are mine" after realising running isn't the right option.

19. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    dreamwave had so much potential, such a shame pat lee ruined it for everyone.

20. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I actually liked the DW comics. They did a pretty good job taking the original Transformers and putting them in what was then present day.