Not hating, but what was wrong with TFTM

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Paradigm-Shift Prime, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Ok so I saw the movie yesterday, I might do a full review after I see it again tomorrow night. I think the movie was overall pretty decent, should end up with an IMDB of 7.0-7.5.

There are different reasons different people would like the movie, which could be pretty subjective, so I'll leave the good be for now, other than mentioning that, for me, it wasn't as cheezy and one-liner laden as I expected it to be, and as a fan I'd rate it slightly higher than a general movie goer (maybe 7.7?)

THE MOVIE'S PROBELMS/'THE BAD'

That however leads me to the downsides of the movie, and certainly poorly written and poorly executed humour is nevertheless one of them. I'll try to keep this in point form:

-some humour bits are drawn-out and either ruin the scene entirely (as in scorponok fight, the cell phone thing with the Indian call-center guys and the 'left cheek' thing trying to get a credit card: IMO this stupid and overextended bit ruins the scene entirely) or are drawn out and take up too much time that could be better used (autobots outside Sam's house: cool scene, drags on for too long though)

-there is very close to NO character development of the Transformers. Prime and Bumblebee get a little bit, everyone else gets ABSOLUTELY NONE! A few quick lines and that's it. In Jazz we only get to know he's a black guy bot (and thus hard to care that he dies). Is Ratchet even in the movie? He has no reason to be. Ironhide has a couple of lines about his guns. None of the decepticons have any character development at all, which brings me to the next point

-decepticons are not seen and become involved WAY TOO LATE in the movie. They pretty much just step in one at a time to form the final battle. The movie could have had only Frenzy, Barricade, and Megatron, and would have been the same. Starscream does not have an important role and we only see him for a few very brief scenes, and all the others even less. Even Megatron comes in late and without character. They throw in one or two lines (homages to the Transformer world) that very much fail to get us to feel that these guys are anything more than renderings (i.e. "Starscream you've failed me yet again" line). These two points of no character and late introduction were my biggest critical feelings on the movie.

-fight scenes tend to be blurred, confused, and the TF renders get very sloppy when moving. Other than Ironhide's barrel-role scene, everything action is confused, tough to make out, hidden behind natural set objects, bumpy, and choppy. I know such effects are sometimes used in good ways (like WWII movies that want to make you feel like you're in the trenches), but this is not the case here. Action scenes become frustrating, rather than fun, and what is supposed to be going on is reduced to a Tazmanian Devil-type blur. You can't even make out the characters' features when they're in action, where as in scenes of them just standing there they look great

-no action or much activity through the middle hour of the movie. Here the movie almost gets boring and much screen time is spent on not much. IMO here the introduction of Starscream and the other decepticons and some of their dynamics would have been great (how about their journey to earth and triangulation of Megatron's location)

Well, that it. If I remember anything else I will add it. I know there will be lots of people totally for or against the movie once they've seen it (just as before it was out), but to me it (just as everything else) truly stands somewhere in between. These points I have made have nothing to do with me being a TF fan, and just as I'd hope detractors or open-minded people who just ended up not liking the movie could admit some positive points, I'd hope that people who really liked the movie could still see these down-sides.

2. BeastWars 4ever

BeastWars 4ever Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agrre with alot of what you said, but....I liked the story and the humor. The action was way too fast and very frustrating. In the night-time scenes, the Bots looked completely fake to me, in the day-time, they look real. What's up with that?

3. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I dug some of the humor.

what killed my over all enjoyment was the extreme close ups of most of the fight scenes, the fact that we didn't get to see bumblebee kick barricades ass.

the shaking of the cameras. seriously someone needs to tell bay to stop that shit. its not artistic. its fucking annoying.

The script was kind of weak. Megan fox cant act. nice eye candy. but she cant act for shit.

why did it take so long for prime to show up during the final battle? was he knocked out? was he fighting another con? we don't know, because of the bad editing.

other then those flaws. i liked the flick. i just wasn't wowed by it.

It came in just under what i was expecting. a decent summer popcorn flick with a lot of flaws.

4. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    yeah, I have no idea what was going on with the bumblebee/barricade fight.

you could see them from time to ime, but most of the fight was close ups of yellow and black metal pieces, and smoke and sparks.

5. beejaloo

beejaloo Member

this is definitely a very annoying pet peeve of mine when it comes to any movie and really the only thing that bugged me most out of the tf movie

6. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Because of this the average movie goer only see's giant mechs invading. Just another generic alien invasion movie with pretty special effects. Not living sentient robots from a civilized world. The movie failed miserably in this area. We wanted new fans to come in & learn about the Transformers but instead this is what we got, (a reply taken from a member on Spawn.com):

don't care about the 'Transformers Universe', it's one of the most convuluted, insane storylines of all time. I don't really get how Transformers fans get off with all of thier bull****. Transformers was never meant to be anything other than a toy commercial. Seriously, look it up. The movie opens with: IN CONJUCTION WITH HASBRO. Every episode of the cartoon revolved around either the Autobots stopping the Decepticons from making Energon cubes or vice-versa. New characters were introduced in time with toy being released. There was never any over-reaching arc. That movie? Holy God, you guys seriously high to worship that thing so much. It's one of the most ridiculous things ever.

So, I'm not a fan, no. I've never considered it a 'serious' property for anything other than toys. The fact that a movie as fun as this one is got made based on those toys is a friggin amazing thing to me, because I expected this to suck worse than Super Mario Bros.

You want plot and story, go find a flick that isn't based on a toy line. This movie kicked ass, that's all there is to it. It really didn't need a story and frankly, anyone watching Transformers for the 'story', is seriously deluded. The cartoon never had any over-reaching arc of any kind, the movie's story was one of the most ASS STUPID things I had ever seen. So, no I wasn't expecting a great story.

What I got was a surprisingly funny, pretty well acted, ****ING KICK ASS FX SPECTACULAR THAT MADE ME REMEMBER WHY I LIKE GOING TO THE MOVIES TO BEGIN WITH!

7. GobotFool

GobotFool Well-Known Member

Ummm, wow.... some how this post reminds me of this....

http://shortpacked.com/d/20070607.html

While I don't wholly disagree about the whole tformers is toy property movie thing, I still enjoyed alot of the characters from the old comic books. And really is spawn really that great? I mean it alway struck me as the, look at me! I'm so deep because I love reading dark depressing comics! No offense to any spawn fans :)  I'm mostly ranting against a general attitude I find very common. Many people always say, I want them to make (said fairly light hearted property) but I want it dark, and violent.

8. FortressMaximus1976

FortressMaximus1976 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I liked the movie...I knew going in after reading the early reviews and such, that the script was a little thin and, frankly, not well excecuted...the otherside of it was I knew the FX would be kick-ass, so in that, I got what I expected.

The only thing that bothers me most is that we don't get to see most of the Transformers much, minus BB and Prime...

Blackout, to me, was such a wasted opportunity...I think he's such a freakish, yet cool character...and he didn't get the screen time that I was anticipating he was going to get...I wish he was in the movie more :cry 

But all things aside, I'm glad the movie is out and bringing TF back into public consciousness...It will be interesting to see where it goes..........

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Ironhide had the same, if not more, lines than Prime. Have you completely forgotten the scene where they hide behind the house?

The only thing I saw as a real "flaw", was the fact that when we see BB in his 2008 Camaro robot mode, for on scene he has battle damage, despite never being in a fight.

10. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

My biggest problem with the movie was Jazz's VA, he sounded like he was reading cue cards, it suckes too, because I really liked the way Jazz looked on screen.

11. FortressMaximus1976

FortressMaximus1976 Well-Known Member

Ebay:

12. jmandawg

jmandawg Well-Known Member

Here are my biggest gripes (i agree with the ones already mentioned).

1. we wait all movie to see Prime vs Megatron battle. When they are finally fighting, the camera cuts aways to some other scene for like 10 mins, then cuts back and prime is laying on the ground hurt. HUGE LETDOWN.... wtf happend?

2. The way they portrayed black people in the movie as comic relief only. (even Jazz).

3. The way spike (or whatever his name was) killed Megatron. Totally LAME! reminds me of a harry potter movie.

Totally agree with the blurry hard to follow action scenes. The only thing that saved the movie was smoking hot Mikayla.

13. jmandawg

jmandawg Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, and the tank shells Devastator/Brawl was firing, were like M80's. Weak.

14. OldSchool80sKid

OldSchool80sKid Banned

I agree with the action being blurred. It makes your eyes ache. Great looking bots when they are still, but a blurr in action. :) 

15. Hakudoushi

Hakudoushi Well-Known Member

The seperate story lines were poorly weaved together. Too many things happening at once, took too long to get to the Autobots, the entire 'Hacker' stuff could have been shaven down to leave more room for Robots. Sorry, but no one cares about Maggie. Glen was a more interesting character then she was...

I loved the humor- all of it. Even the parts I thought I wouldn't like the Sector Seven/Autobot interogation scene. I was dreading that part but was pleasantly surprised.

Ironhide got a lot more screen time then I thought he would and I felt he was very well developed. Jazz was a little disapointing. Didn't care for his voice (too deep for my tastse) but I have to admit I flinched when Megatron tore him apart...

The thing that bugged me for some odd reason was the fact that the Transformers had olfactory sensors. I just couldn't get over that. lol.

16. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    I absoultely loved the movie but it did have some problems.
    Im just nitpicking here but heres my list.

1. The humor was good but there was a bit too much of it. Tone it down for the next film abit.

2. The hacker subplot was nearly useless except for the decoding of the cybertron language and sending the message for backup with the battle going on in the city. Should have been edited to get rid of the usless stuff.

3. The action was awesome dont get me wrong but, please zoom the damn camera out!! I've goten used to these designs so I can tell who is who but the action was still fast and hard to keep track of at times. M.Bay please also quit shaking the damn camera. It added to the film the first time it was used during the Blackout attack but during the final battle it made it hard to understand.

4.Battles off-screen?? WTF Was up with that?!?! Half of BBs and Barricades fight was taken up because we have to watch Frenzy chasing Sam?? WTH. NOT COOL. Instead try keeping the BB fight going with the kids in the background or switch between them but keep the focus on BB!! And the Prime vs Megs battle was just getting good when it cuts away?!?!?!? Also more robot fists please!! Rockets are fun and all but I wanted to see more fist fighting.

5. Whats with the Decepticons being killed by the humans?? Could the Autobots at least kill one Decepticon on there own?? Next time no humans killing Decepticons. This is Autobots vs Decepticons. Not Humans vs Decepticons.

6. The Decepticons didnt get enough screen time. Errr. Lets try to develop these guys more then Cannon fodder.

7. The story. Lets bring it up just abit. It was good for the first movie but lets have action and story.

17. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

How did Starscream, Brawl, Barricade and Bonecrusher just happen to converge on the Allspark at the exact same time? All three would have had to already be within an hour of the city without any advance warning.

Biggest problem is Barricade, since he started the movie in California but Hoover Dam is in Colorado.

18. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

A nod to G1 lolz

19. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Well, Frenzy had snuck along with Mikaela had he not? He would've sent a message to the others, I think it was Ratchet that even said the Decepticons were mounting their forces, ready to attack.

20. ARTIMUS ONE

ARTIMUS ONE Investigations Dept.

So had he been a white guy robot would you care that he died? I'd retract that statement dude, that just does not sound so great.

Outside of that, Bumbleebee peeing on the Gov't Agent was wack.......didn't need that. That hide and seek around Sam's house was lame. Megatron a Jet....a no no. No character developement among the famous bots such as Jazz, Starscream, and Ironhide and the action was great but most of the time the robots look liked a bunch of aluminum foil crushed up fighting.