Not-expensive gen1 style toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by UniqueCrash5, Nov 15, 2009.

1. UniqueCrash5

UniqueCrash5 New Member

My kid is getting in to Transformers, watching the gen 1 series at the moment. He's autistic and tends to be hard on toys - not terrible bad, but accessories do get lost, stickers and tires will sometimes be removed, etc. Let's just say they ain't gonna stay in mint condition.

I'd like to get him some of the classic style g1 toys, but my search is hindered by the sheer number of toys out there. I don't want to buy him collectors items for crying out loud, and that's all I'm finding.

I want characters from the original 1984 series that transform from robots to cars and stuff (it seems weird to have to specify that). Primarily a good Optimus Prime/tractor trailer rig, but also maybe Soundwave, one of the planes, maybe a classic Megatron... etc.

So I figured I'd ask the experts! Help me out guys; what exactly should I be looking for and where can I find it?

Thanks!!

2. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Reissues and Encores

3. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    The Mini-Bots such as Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Brawn, Gears, Huffer , etc. Shouldn't cost too much.

4. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    welcome to the boards :thumbs2:  i would suggest the mini vehicle line, they include bumblebee and cliffjumper. Their pretty easy to transform and take anywhere with you. Image:Bumblebeeg1toy.jpg - Transformers Wiki
    I would suggest Ebay, and always to look at our Junkion exchange boards, there's number of members there that sell some good toys, and willing to negotiate the prices. I would stay away from collector shops since they try to rip you off. Also if you have a library card check out Transformers: Identification and Price Guide by Mark Bellomo. It contains all the G1 toys and the correct price's for loose, mib and misb items so you dont get ripped off.
    hope this helped :) 

5. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I don't know how old your son is, but you could look into Transformers Classics/Henkei/Universe 2.0 figures. They are "what G1 Transformers would look like today if Hasbro/TakaraTomy introduced them now instead of the 1980's". They are plastic (G1 figs are diecast) and have the latest safety enhancements that the older figures are missing. Another idea is to look for used/junker figures on eBay or on our trade boards called the Junkion Exchange.
    Hope this helps and good luck.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Perceptor and the Insecticons are currently available as reissues at your local TRU, if that helps. Shouldn't be too difficult to find that recent reissue of G1 Optimus Prime that came out earlier this year, as well.

Another thing to consider would be taking him to a few garage sales or flea markets or what have you and if he finds any junkers that pique his interest, g1 style or not, pick em up.

7. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

Transformers Classics are the way to go. You can get quite a few of the G1 characters, and they look pretty similar to their old G1 toy versions, only with more articulation and a little sturdier construction.

8. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What everyone else said... Classics, Reissues, etc

9. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I agree with this

10. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    Honestly, if he's as hard on toys as you say he is and depending on how young he is, some original GoBots may be the way to go.

11. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why not Animated Toys? Megatron looks sorta the same.

12. UniqueCrash5

UniqueCrash5 New Member

I guess I should've mentioned he's 8, heh. And he's probably not harder on toys than a lot of neurotypical kids really.

Thanks guys; plugging these into teh googles has been very helpful. Some of the Classics are pretty sweet!

13. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    if you click the pull down resources menu at the top and check classics and universe 2.0 you'll find them all in there with pictures, some of them are a little more expensive thanks to demand (mainly classics rodimus and ultra magnus)