Not Another KO Thread? How are they made................

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I have a question about Knock-offs. Exactly how are they made? Do the companies buy rights from the original manufacturer? Do they buy the molds? Are the molds copied and then the figures made from the copies?
    If so, wouldn't original molds make THEM original?
    A lot of times several companies would buy from the original, and just repackage them. But with KO Transformers and other figures, the quality is less. That makes me think the molds are copied?

With past copiers, when you copy an image, the copy is not as good as the original. When you copy the copy, it's quality degrades even more.

2. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

If the company buys the rights to make the figure, it's not a knockoff.

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    What I have heard and i find likely to have happened is this: KO company A gets there hand on a figure they want to KO and disassemble it and reverse engineer it and create molds from it, if they make low quality KO's its often seen the simplify some things to make easier and cheaper to make. If its a High Quality KO they are after they do an exact copy of the mold.

As for the packaging its a simple matter with today's imaging technology to scan in the packages and have the images recreated on new materials for packing the High Quality KOs. For the Low Quality ones this isn't done as they are going for fast and cheap and it adds significantly to the price to recreate the original packaging.

4. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    good question, why the hell does takara not do this instead of saying no molds, no this and that. then complain that the ko companys are pushing them out.

5. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    it isn't cost effective to reverse-engineer molds.....only time i can think of them doing it for something bigger than a cassette was the g1 hound reissue and that bitch was expensive apparantly

takara is a company out to make a profit, not to satisfy every little fan's wants

6. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

And yet bootlegers are doing it. They certainly don't have the amount of cash at their disposal as Takara has, so can they do it and turn a profit?

7. Optimus Sledge

How much are those knockoff reissues going for?

8. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    which is how the KO's are able to be produced

9. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    The high-end ones are usually between $60 and $75. I picked up KO Wheeljack, Scourge, and Cyclonus. The quality is amazing.

10. Optimus Sledge

That answers the question. Clearly, there are some people willing to drop that much money. I doubt there are enough to make it worthwhile for Takara to do so. I certainly wouldn't.

11. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

This is the point I've always made. There's clearly enough profit to be made from this that the knockoff companies are encouraged to release more new products. If they were losing money from bootlegging, they would've stopped a long time ago.

12. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Please see comments above yours for the rebuttal. These KO makers are charging A LOT more for their junk than an official reissue would cost. $75 for a KO Autobot car? THERE'S your profit, and the reason Takara won't do it.

13. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yup $75 for a toy that doesn't have to pass any kind of health and safety. They might look nice, but what happens when a kid actually plays with one of the things? Are the materials toxic? Will the plastic shatter in to lethal shards. Are the missiles tested to make sure they aren't too strong to be safe. Heck even the box and stickers could be dangerous if they end up in a kids mouth.

Do the factories meet health and safety standards for workers? Do we even know who makes them? For all we know it hundreds of young children spending their days making toys for pennies a day.

So I think your looking at this the wrong way around. If a massive international business can't make these for a profit what are the KO companies doing to cut the cost to sell them for only $75.

14. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Takara actually has done reverse engineering to restore the molds of several figures. All the die-cast parts for Prime, when the first reissue was done, had to have new molds created. Parts of Soundwave, parts of Sideswipe's mold, etc all got this treatment.

15. Tigertrack

It would be interesting to see an episode of "How It's Made" with Transformers.

16. TFareCool

TFareCool TFW's Camera Guy

News Credits:
    I have always wanted to see that. It would be so cool to see how they do that.

17. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the newer ko transformers are more than 75.00 ea. look at defensor ko set. its starts at 100.00 some not including shipping cost. hes selling very well right now. shockwave 95.00 at most places with no shipping either. i happen to buy all the ko made so far in the last 3 months when i started collecting. the cheapest i found them for was a bulk purchase. i have about 25 - 30 pieces not including the newer releases yet. so far they cost me approx 4k for misb high quality ko. just 3 cominer sets and 5 dinobots is around 600.00 range. imagine adding on 25 more ko pieces. remember these are the current cheapest prices too. i guess with demand for them. they not going down anytime soon. my wallets going to hurt when they release defensor, menasor, forttress max, and its not confirm yet, but i know they will do grand max, computron, pirianacon, and i really hope they make my favorite transformer ever G1 JETFIRE. he was the one that got away when i wanted him in the 80s.

18. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    No wonder you've paid so much for your collection already. You're paying top dollar for those KOs. A little research and patience and you can find them cheaper.

Unless you're only interested in MISB/MIB, you can buy many loose vintage figures cheaper than the KOs at those prices.

19. Tigertrack

We all want a G1 Jetfire, but it's been said before that it'll never happen due to the fights between Takara and Bandai about the original ones. I'm sure that G1 Jetfire's molds have either been destroyed, or locked away in some secret vault never to be released again.
    Perhaps one day one of these high-end KO companies just might reverse engineer Jetfire, repaint/rename him and will probably cost just as high as an original MIB Jetfire.

20. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The molds are locked away in a building so tope secret you can only find it if you spot the large BANDAI sign on the outside.:sly2: 

I know there is a reissue of Ichijo's VF-1A with the packs and accurate head but this one would certainly do. Just slap on a few Autobot logos and voila! You've supported a real company.

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN952860