Not all mechtech completely cross-compatible?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NGW, May 28, 2011.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Well that's another mark against this fairly lackluster gimmick IMO.

I've certainly grown...some appreciation for certain aspects of it, or certain weapons in particular, but I'm still lukewarm at best to mechtech, generally taking a negative view of it as a whole.

But alot of my issues I could forgive (save deluxe class weapons not locking and the fact that the figures are smaller because of the weapons) because it did have some cool potential in their playability and being able to trade around weaponry.

..but that's kinda ruined when some weapons just do not work with certain figures.

Watching Optibotimus' review of Thundercracker, you can't just use Roadbuster's weapon to give Thundercracker two of the chainsaw gun, it just does not fit.

I tried sticking Crankcase's gun onto Roadbuster's arm, just to see how it looked, it doesn't fit at all, you can't get it to even sorta peg in, even if you depress the panel for it all the way in.

And I hate how some figures have the little panels or whatever that cover up the hole...but others don't, it seems kinda..odd that they don't all have them.

2. JacobPGalvatron

JacobPGalvatron Storm Trooper #1

It is pretty strange.

3. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    I can only hope the "off screen" line next year will fix this. Namely GET MECH TECH OFF THESE FIGURES. Whew. I've softened up on my stance on DOTM as a whole and got way more than I intended, but I'm still loathing the gimmick as a whole.

The distribution of hole covers makes sense. On the cars that have smooth surfaces, it works. Megatron's gas tank works with the hole on top...one of the access hatches for the contents inside. On Skyhammer it's ok...the nacelle holes I rationalize as exhaust...and Starscream/TC is ok because the holes are on the underside.

Crankcase just makes me scratch my head as they're clearly ugly holes without anything covering them...can't really pass them off as anything else since he already has lightbars. But the most godawful offender of this is Ironhide. You couldn't pay me to get that figure.

4. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    ^yeah I agree.

Some of the guns are actually pretty cool, I love Roadbuster's for example. Crankcase's gun looks pretty damn cool just as a big gun. But some of them are terrible, as awesomely armed as Topspin is..his actual mechtech weapon just sucks.

And as I've said, I hate that the actual figures had to suffer from the inclusion of resource hogging weaponry.

The least they could do was to make sure the gimmick really did work widespread across the line.

5. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've mixed and matched a couple of weapons to characters I think suit the bots more and haven't had any problems. However, I did try barricade's gun on roadbuster and had the same problem your describing. So i think the problem is more roadbuster then a line wide issue.

Visually the exposed ports is not a bad thing on the trucks and cybertronian vehicles and most of the cars did ok hiding theres at least imho

6. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    It's not 100% exclusive to Roadbuster, as I mentioned with Thundercracker (probably Starscream too) having some issues with weapons just not pegging in at all (well, some weapons), but hopefully it's a very limited problem.

Did try a couple of Topspin's guns on top of Crankcase's vehicle mode. Too awesome. Though those aren't really mechtech guns >_>

7. MegaHavok

News Credits:
    I just tried seven different mechtech guns on starscream's 4 spots and they all fit though there are very large variations in the friction and tightness of said port I didn't find any stress marks or anything

8. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    I'm actually the opposite, haha. Crankcase's gun is horrible, period. I hate big oversized looking guns. It looks clearly out of scale for Crankcase...and what the hell is it? A rifle? A pistol? The barrel suggest a rifle...but no matter...it sucks.

Roadbuster and Topspin's are the best Deluxe ones I think. They're character appropriate and are VERY well scaled for the guys. Roadbuster has a chainsaw, and bam, Mechtech supplies the chainsaw. Topspin's gun plugs in a manner that makes it look like he has a big ass clamp claw and gun...which augments his looks as he already has clamp hands and all.

9. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I think it mostly comes down to the length of the posts for working on some figures univerally.

Mechtech is just another way of saying 5 mm port. The only difference is most of these have a spring loaded feature.

Mostly its blasters that either turn into a heavier charged mode or a melee cutting weapon.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  10. MegaHavok

News Credits:
    The key is rotating these bad boys

Crankcase looks awesome with lasbereaks dual machine guns

Laserbeak looks cool with starscreams blades under his wings

Starscream looks good with topspins laser

and so on and so on

11. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    i have managed to fit all the weapons of each character i have on each character

roadbuster, sentenialprime, crankcase, skids, optimusprime