Nostalgic Purchases?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

This question is not for those who have kept their childhood toys, but who have later in life purchased the same toys they had back then.

Do you collectors purchase certain figures because you used to have them as a kid? And do you purchase certain figures because you either remembered borrowing them from other kids, or you WISH you had them when you were a kid?

When I started my collection recently, it was because I used to have the same toy's when I was a lad. I remembered having Optimus Prime, Sideswipe, Red Alert, Jazz, Smokescreen, Sunstreaker, Omega Supreme, Trypticon, Scorponok, Ramjet, and of coarse both Kaltors.
    As my collection grew, it was figures I WISHED I had as a kid but never owned them. Or, I borrowed them from friends.

So do you purchase for nostalgic reasons? Who did you use to own, and who did you wish you owned? And, of those two categories, who do you own now?

2. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

when I first discovered online toystores back in the 90's, the first two I bought were the ones I wanted as a kid and never got--optimus prime and a mib soundwave, both from Men In Black :) 

3. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I did buy a lot of toys that I wanted when I was a kid but couldn't get due to money. However, non of them are transformers.

Rather, I lost a lot of toys from when I was a kid. I left a Star Saber at a restaurant because I forgot.

4. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A few months ago I got back into Transformers after a 20+ year break. My first new purchases were WFC figures, since the game is what piqued my interest. Then I went over to my mom's house and dug out the boxes of figures that had lived there since the 80s. Most were in really good shape, a few were a little rough, and a handful were missing. I repurchased all but one of the missing figures, mostly as reissues. The only one I haven't repurchased (yet?) is Metroplex, since I don't have room for him in the shelving unit I built to hold everything. I can't seem to bring myself to part with all of his accessories though.

I've gone on to purchase some of the ones I wished I'd had as a kid, missing accessories for the ones I did have and replacement stickers for a few. I also picked up the Bruticus and Superion sets with upgrades, because they're just way cooler than plastic robots have any right to be.

5. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

It's both for me. I've loved recapturing some of my old G1's and I've loved getting some of the toys I always wished I had. I can't tell you how happy I was to get a minty new Hot Rod when Takara reissued him earlier in the decade. I also had warm feelings when I picked up Hound or the Insecticons as it reminded me of some specific good times as a kid. But I also have a more expansive G1 collection now as an adult. I sometimes wish I could go back and give myself this stuff.

I think nostalgia informs the hobby as a whole. I wouldn't collect Transformers (as I have a collection that goes beyond G1) or toys if it wasn't for a strong sense of nostalgia. I would guess that a lot of us have strong connections to our childhoods.

6. Tigertrack

What do you enjoy more? Finding the TRU reissues at your local TRU store and purchasing them right off the shelf? Or just purchasing them on line?
    For me, I like doing it both ways. But some how, it feels more personal when you see them on the shelf and you get to take them home. After all, that's how it was back in the 80's. Internet shopping didn't exist back then like it does now.

Plus, there's just something nice about seeing it in person before dumping your money into it.

7. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    I got back into TF's when BW was on (as a teen), and didn't really have money to hunt my originals down. By the time I did have funds, I'd been spoiled and knew I wouldn't be satisfied w/ the articulation on the older ones. That said, I do have a select few. I never had Optimus as a kid, so I purchased New Year's Convoy and I'd always wanted Soundwave, so I have his reissue and all of his and Blaster's cassettes (sans japanese exclusives). Apart from that, I did commission Pounce and Wingspan in classics style out of nostalgia for the toys I had.

On a related note, my nostalgia does drive my purchases beyond just the g1 figures. I know of lots of characters from these boards and being around the fandom for about 15 years (eep!), but there are only certain ones that I remember from watching the cartoon as a kid and they're the focus of my collection. I actively seek out the best version for classics or commission ones I don't think will be made or wasn't fond of the one released, so in that sense I'm very nostalgia driven...can easily pass on quite a few of the later season characters as I have no nostalgia for them. Season 1/2 and BW characters though...on my shelf!

8. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I only had a handfull of Transformers as a kid Grimlock, Tracks, Windcharger, Ravage, and Devastator. So everything I buy I get because I could never had them as a child.

9. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

For me it would be Devastator. I only had longhaul as a child and i remember wishing i had the others so i would not imagine the legs head and arms of devastator was beating up prime lol. I will be getting one when i have the surplus funds to spend on getting them.

10. Tigertrack

The only Constructicon I had as a kid was BoneCrusher. He was my favorite of the bunch.

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    some purchases are

12. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    I'm lucky to have most of my G1 collection intact from childhood, and for the longest time I just wanted to keep things as they were not buying any other G1. Eventually I ended up picking up Snarl and Wheeljack, and plan to pick up Sludge and Jazz also. These are less for nostalgia, I just like the toys still.

If I had lost all my G1 as a kid I wouldn't have bought them back save for Prime and maybe the Dinobots. They are cool but generally more expensive than I care to pay. I love having my originals still!

13. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I have most of my originals from my childhood. When I did get back into collecting, the first TF I bought was Prowl. I had a beaten up one I got 2nd hand from a cousin which got a lot of play anyway since he's my favourite Tf along with Megatron. So when I had the chance to buy a shiney new one in the cool Japanese book style packaging, I couldn't resist.

I also bought Sixshot the same day. I'd never seen him. But the clues were there. 6-changer, box reminiscent of G1 Scorponok though all the writing was Japanese (Thank YOU Xmas 87) and I remember hearing about a sixchanger called Sixshot on the Marvel UK letters page as a kid.

The year after, I bought reissue Optimus Prime. I had one of the cheap Mexican imports as a kid with 2 really bad red smudges where his eyes were supposed to be.

Ratchet had also been a Mexican import. Got him for a fiver and he got a lot of play because of his high profile in Furman's US run despite his arm falling off. 2 years ago, when I saw the custom clip on heads for the vans, I had to buy them. Didn't have Ironhide but tried the Ratchet head on my crappy little Ratchet and couldn't believe the difference it made. Ended up buying a new, shiney Encore Ratchet and Ironhide for the heads.

I've known 4 kids with Metroplex growing up and each one broke at the waist (Metroplexes, not the kids). Scourge got dropped as a kid, his wing fell off and the clip holding Runabout in car mode broke and Snapdragon's wing was broken so was fortunate last year to get the 4 of them in fantastic condition in one lot on Ebay. No accessories but luckily I had all mine.

Grew up with Pretender Jazz and Actionmaster Inferno so when the Diaclones were reissued, it wasn't even an option.

My first TF was Outback and my brothers got Swerve, Pipes and the kid next door got Tailgate so when the Encore boxset came out with the nicely painted faces and stiff new joints, Nostalgia grabbed my bank card again.

On a final nostalgic note, despite their modern articulation, I'm afraid the oversized Classics cars will never replace my Diaclone preciouses.

14. teruo kaiba

teruo kaiba Made In Japan

Part of the focus of my collection is to get reissues/misb originals of all the G1 figures I had as a child despite still having them all. While I love my originals for sentimental reasons, they for the most part, aren't in very good condition. So for me, owning a minty (still misb for most) version of the same figure is nice.

15. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

The two Transformer toys I loved as a young kid during my sporatic visits to Target and KMart were Blitzwing and Grimlock, so when I started collecting TFs I made a point to get multiples of each TF. I now have 3 MISB Blitzwings (G1 ,eHobby and Animated), plus 1 loose G1 to play with. For Grimlock I got 1 MIB G1 and 1 MOC G2 (G1 MISB is way too expensive), plus 1loose G1 and 1 loose Animated. I also have the MISB of the Armada or Energon Grimlock/Swoop 2 Pack.

In the future I plan to get another Animated Blitzwing to fiddle with. I have one Takara MP Grimlock that is MISB and may get the Hasbro version to open and play with.

16. Cornholiocon

Cornholiocon Up the irons!

Completely agree with the consensus that childhood nostalgia is the basis for the grand majority of G1 collectors.
    I had a bunch of the originals (but strangely hardly any of the initial Autobot cars) as a kid, especially the combiners. I now stick only to collecting G1 and get the ones that I either had as a kid or the ones I wish I would have gotten. They bring back a lot of fond memories but I really like them as toys in their own right.

17. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Yeah, I had a Kingdam Browning when I was a kid, I substituted Megatron with my knockoff---which for todays standards is actually very good. I had to buy him again just for the nostalga factor. So a couple of months ago I bought a complete one boxed, it defin. brought back memories. But I agree all of my G1 figures all have that nostalga factor.

18. soundwaveprime1

soundwaveprime1 Well-Known Member

i got a new bw megatron after years of my old one not having a head, and the mmpr megazord it took me YEARS to get all the bits

19. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

RiD Prime for me.

20. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Sometimes.

I paid the extra for Henkei Smokescreen because he was one of my main Autobot cars as a kid and I wanted the better and more accurate paintjob.

The TRU Insecticons. Shrapnel was a gift from my Grandfather, so getting him and the other two insecticons to complete the set was entirely nostalgic fueled.

Re-issue Metroplex. I had the original as a kid and broke him at the waist, so when I got a chance to get the re-issue for $15, I sprang for it.

I'm not really sure I can answer one way or the other about my Seeker Shelf. I didn't have any seekers as a kid, but I also like the CHUG Seeker mold a lot and want a neat shelf filled with Seekers all in the same style and scale.