Nostalgic epic win....transformers the movie

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ersico, Jan 28, 2009.

1. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    wait why do they say the movie flopped?

3. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i wondered that also....

4. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because it WAS a flop. Everything I've read about it said it did poorly at the box office.

Wrong forum BTW.

5. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    crap....sorry guys.....will a mod move it for me....im just so used to floating around this forum i had a brain-fart....

6. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    I didnt notice it either but everything ive heard about the movie is that it did quite well

7. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

Financially it flopped, but it's strengths such as animation, memorable scenes and start-studded voice actors created a cult classic. It bombed mostly probably due to the lack of marketing and violence/swearing which gave it negative publicity.

8. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I saw it in the theatre 3 times in '86 and all 3 times the theatre was fairly full. I guess it did well where I was as a kid.:confused: 

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Because it did. It earned under $15 million in it's entire box office run. It was panned by most film critics, like Siskel and Ebert.

They added the profanity to get a PG rating, which would mean it would show in theatres later in the day (At the time, G rated movies stopped showing at 5 PM or thereabouts), as well as to attract the college crowd. The top notch voice actors was to get investors interested and again, to get bigger billing (and hopefully more people wanting to see it). Some of that backfired, with some parents not happy with the profanity and some children practically traumatized by the deaths of Prime and the others. (I remember crying in the theater when I saw it the first time and just shedding a few tears the second.)

Also not helping matters was that the top grossing film of the year had just come out prior and word of mouth was spreading about how good it was and how it was possibly better then the first. That film was "Aliens".

10. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:

11. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    $5,849,647 is Box Office Mojo's number.

That ain't much at all.

12. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I wonder what the budget was? Did it at least pay for itself?

13. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Doubtful. At that time (and from what I've read on the subject), Disney's production budget for animated films was around $12 mil, and Don Bluth once stated in an interview that An American Tail (which went into production around the same time TFTM did) was produced for $9 million, and in order to accomplish that they had to freeze everyone's salaries for over a year.

Even after TFTM was released on VHS, it probably didn't even help them break even.

I'd always been curious about the budget for TFTM too, but I've never been able to find any info on what it was, and apparently other fans haven't either since it's a big question mark on TFWIKI.net too.

14. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

:d this movie started me on transformers...and it will be the last movie I watch when im 89 :D 

15. evebird

evebird Waiting for Omega

And the Transformers movie affected other projects too. Supposedly the G.I. Joe movie was going to be a theatrical release too, but Hasbro changed their minds once they saw how poorly Transformers performed.

Ironically, Transformers the Movie would later be recognized as one of the top 100 animated films of all time (On-line Film Critics Society).

16. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Yeah that's too bad about the movie's flop-ness... it's one of my favorite animated movies of all time (Disney or otherwise O_O)

17. Born 2B Alive!

Born 2B Alive! Director Of Entertainment

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes the movie flopped at first but.....

The Transformers the movie (Sony Commerative version) debuted in the Top 10 DVD sales in the U.S. that version alone not counting the endless other versions that have been released on VHS and DVD made well over the production cost of the movie. I did a quick search on this site for the article Sony released stating that it debuted in the top 10 in national DVD sales... haven't found that exact story yet but I did find this on this site:

Upon release, TRANSFORMERS: The Movie 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD received rave reviews from TRANSFORMERS fans new and old. That acclaim and the anticipation of TRANSFORMERS fans new and old helped land TRANSFORMERS: The Movie 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD among the top DVD sellers of the week.

Ok I looked a little harder here's one link showing Transformers the Movie (Sony version) in the top ten in national sales.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/thisweekondvd_10_28.html

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  18. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Maybe because it did.....at the box office anyway.

The 86 movie did very badly at theaters.

19. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    The 1986 movie was my favorite part of the G1 cartoon......it's surprising that it did so poorly based on the fact that the TV cartoon series and toyline were beyond wildly popular at the time.

20. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think it's surprising at all, you don't off an enormous chunk of your 2 seasons worth of established cast including (arguably) your main star (Optimus) in a blaze of violent glory and get away with it in a kiddies movie. Plus the story is just not very good.