noobies in the toy aisle

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by KA, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i just had one of those recurring experiences where youre wandering the toy aisle and some random guy remarks 'man, i remember when i had TFs as a kid, they werent this plasticky shit theyre using now, plus they were cheaper then too'.

followed by the clerks restraining me shouting STFU NOOB and hurling other expletive towards the bewildered noobie...

...ok not really i just bit my lip and later grinned ear to ear so then ppl were looking at me like i was weirdo or something.

...more than usual that is.

2. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

WAlT, THAT WAS Y0U???

3. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Hrmm... I wouldn't really consider someone comparing old G1 toys to the current toys as being a noob. You have to remember, A LOT of people fell out of touch with TF's near the end of the original run, whether it was due to the cartoon & toys starting to royally suck (which they did), them getting older or simply moving onto other things, and would have no reason to know that things are still going... especially considering how many years there were where absolutely nothing was happening. If it wasn't for Dreamwave and nostalgic searches done on the internet, I think there would be even more of us that had no idea TF's was still a popular & viable toy/comic/cartoon line.

My version of noob's are anyone who came into TF lore thanks to shite like Energon or Cybertron or even Beast Wars. It still boggles my mind that those lines could not only draw new fans, but also manage to keep them. Worse yet will be all the ones that pop up once the new movie is out. But anyone else who remembers the original G1 line, they're not noobs... just people that were casual fans back in the day that shouldn't get blamed for having lives and not following TF's for 20+ years like some of us did, hehe.

4. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Your definition of a noob is like 1000 times more unfriendly then KA's. Particularly since you decided to call the post G1 lines shit.

It's because of the success of BW and ALL post-G1 lines that Hasbro even considered a live action movie in the first place. So while it may be garbage to you. Remember it's this garbage that keeps the line from dying out like G1 did :) 

And so what if fans who see the movie become TF fans? Is that really such a bad thing. It's the new blood that'll keep things going for the time being.

And BTW I got back into TFs because of Beast Wars. So I find that slanderous remark of your's very insulting :mad  If it wasn't for Beast Wars I wouldn't have discovered BWTF.com. And I wouldn't have looked up all the other TF shows like Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory and Zone. So back then I WAS a new fan.

And people can't help what year they're born in. Some were born early enough to enjoy G1, some with BW/BM and yes even some who are old enough for AEC to be their first TF experience.

5. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Oh take it easy, Shaun. There's nothing at all "slanderous" about me thinking the Beast Wars, Cybertron, Energon, etc. lines sucked. It's a personal opinion - I'm not stating it as proven fact or anything. If you're insulted, then you're reading WAY too much into things and might need a Kit-Kat break.

Sheesh, when did TF fans get so overly sensitive about things...

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    lets everyone take a chill pill please.

7. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    lets everyone take a chill pill please.

Let's red line this mothaf**k

Oh take it easy, Shaun. There's nothing at all "slanderous" about me thinking the Beast Wars, Cybertron, Energon, etc. lines sucked. It's a personal opinion - I'm not stating it as proven fact or anything. If you're insulted, then you're reading WAY too much into things and might need a Kit-Kat break.

Christ, when did TF fans get so overly sensitive about things? And lose any sign of their balls in the process. Sheesh.

I bet his favorite G1 character is Predaking....oh the irony

lol

Thanx
    Transbot90210

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Heh... Beast Wars kept me AWAY from getting back into Transformers, actually. I couldn't stand those things. I can still count the Beast era figures that I like on one hand

(and yeah, I know the show was good... but for me it's one of those situations where it was just a show, but not enough to make me want to actually own any of those toys)

I can definitely say that the thing that has kept me in Transformers has been my enduring affection for G1. However, interestingly enough it was Armada that brought me back to buying TFs... sort of. I picked up a Nemesis Prime on sale on a whim... and I was actually really impressed with it. I'd been building Gundam models for a few years, and suddenly it was like "Wow.. .this is a really tough, poseable, transformable robot toy... and it's only, like, $10!"

Of course, it turns out that was one of the best figures to come out of Armada... but I haven't looked back since.

I don't think the later shows were really -that- bad, as far as kids adventure shows go... but I do find it weird that they built a fanbase of their own, independent of G1. From my perspective, they were always just pale shadows of the original source.

zmog

9. kingzac

kingzac Member

Oh no, you didnt seriously refer to someone commenting on TF toys while ur cruising the aisles a Noob, man thats bad. Serious thats almost pathetic.
    I'm sorry but that embarrassed me to read that.
    I've liked transformers forever (Since I was a little one in the 80's, I've still got the best Optimus Prime toy ever) but would have no idea about any of the new things other than the movie and maybe beast wars.
    Who gives a shit really? I still look at the transformers toys every now and then and go wow these are shit, oh hey look at that new kick ass optimus etc. who cares.

10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

11. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Did he go into any detail as to how he's managed to avoid the sting of inflation?

12. Ger_Hankey

Ger_Hankey Now hiring evil minions

I know some of you may not like to hear this, but Noobs are a good thing. The more new fans are buying toys, the more Hasbro makes money off the brand and the more new toys they produce.
    So you should welcome them with open arms, and share your vast knowledge with them. It will pay off for you in the end!!

(And maybe see if you can talk them into buying Alternators Silverstreak while your at it, get him off the shelves!!)

13. godsenddeath

News Credits:
    So long as they are buying TFs instead of just complaining about them, yes.

Smyths in town managed to sell out of Silverstreak somehow. Will wonders never cease?

14. Ger_Hankey

Ger_Hankey Now hiring evil minions

I think Toymaster down the road from them bought them all.....

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Ahem! Watch who your're talking about. I became a fan of Beast wars when it first came out and have been a fan ever since. And I'm probobly the farthest thing from a noob. What you have displayed there is a fine example of prejudice. Just because a fan became a fan because of a certain series makes them a noob? Nice.

P.S.

I will let you know that a good chunck of members on these boards are BW fans, and have Beast wars as they're favorite line.

16. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Oh for fuck sakes...

I said what *I* consider a noob to be. Me. Personally. I never said anywhere at anytime that what I personally consider to be a noob IS in fact without a doubt just the way it is. But to me, someone in his 30's who was collecting TF's when they first came out, yeah, Beast Wars era fans are noob's to me. And so what? I'm not saying they're losers or posers or wannabes or ANYTHING insulting. Yeah I consider the lines they might have gotten into TF from to be shit, but again, that's just MY opinion. Not claiming it as commonplace fact.

Some of you guys REALLY need to relax a bit and let others have their opinions without turning it into a overly sensitive mellowdrama Emo thread where you're so easily offended and get your defenses up so quickly. Calm that inner geek down just a little bit.

17. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    Around the same time they started parading their ignorance and intolerance like it was something to be proud of, probably. Do remember not to feel insulted. It's only my personal opinion. :) 

Seriously dude, try being a little less inflammatory in your use of language. For example, try saying "BW, Cybertron, Energon etc lines weren't to my personal tastes, I prefer..." and mention what made you prefer G1 over them.

Because what you're saying is the equivalent of "Everything I don't like is crap," which just makes you sound - ironically - like a noobie.

18. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    You know what I consider a noob?
    Recently joined posters with WAY under 1000 posts who posts like their snobby opinion is LAW, and borderline flame people who disagree (including, ironically ebough, calling them noobs).
    :p 

19. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    It's not the number that matters, it's the quality. :cool: 

20. godsenddeath

News Credits:

They can't even shift the earlier blue box version at their price of a fiver less than Smyths.

I think that place is winding down...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.