noob looking for some advice...

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Ravenxl7, Dec 28, 2011.

?

Which comic should I go with?

1. Green Arrow

22.2%
  2. Green Lantern: New Guardians

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Red Lanterns

33.3%
  4. Other (explain in post)

44.4%
  1. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Long story short, I've finally decided to get back into comic books. Read them as a kid, but I've been out of the loop for quite some time. I've made the decision that, for the time being, I'm going to stick with just one "new 52" comic book title. I just don't know which one yet, but I have gotten it down to three choices.

Green Arrow:
    I don't think I ever did read any Green Arrow related comics, but the little I do now about him interests me. I love the archer aspect to him, and his similarities to Batman. While I'm not sure how I feel about Ollie looking younger, I do like the look of his new outfit. My relative noob-ish-ness with the character in-general has me very interested in this comic. I have seen some significantly negative reviews about it, but there have been some nice and positive reviews too, and the more I read about the comic, the more interested I become.

Green Lantern: New Guardians:
    While I, for the most part, don't remember all that much from the comic books I read as a kid, I do remember Kyle Rayner. Which is why I'm contemplating this new title with him taking charge now that Hal is "gone". Also, the aspect of having the seven spectrum's represented interests me.

Red Lanterns:
    Not entirely sure what's drawing me towards this one. Might be the art, or all of the red. I've seen both good and bad reviews for this one, but nothing too strongly in either direction.

Basically, if you could recommend one of these three comics, which one would it be? I have added a third poll option for anybody who would like to recommend something else. However I severely doubt that I'll go with any options outside of this list.

Also, I've seen that each one of these comics has two versions of the first issue. As far as I can tell, the only difference is the cover-art. Would it be worth-while to obtain both versions of the first issue of the comic I end-up going with? I don't intend to collect these for any future worth, but I do plan keeping them as nice as possible, and buying all of the story's issues from here on out (till whenever it's ended/renumbered).

2. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I really dig batwoman great art, edgy charcter. So far the stories been good. You should check Comic Book Resource for previews.

3. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I'm actually getting out of comics completely (even Transformers comics) and I've never been a "DC" guy anyway so they're all kind of meh to me. But what I will say which I hope will be helpful is on your last comment about getting both issue 1s. You said you're not collecting for future value, so unless you're trying to complete a wraparound picture made of both covers, or if you just REALLY like the art on both that much that you want to have both in your collection, then I wouldn't recommend it. Because, barring one of those situations, you're essentially buying another copy of something you already have.

4. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    My wife just got into comics really, and she LOVED the last Green Arrow series (pre-NuDCU). We got the entire run in TPBs and she has enjoyed it immensely, all 9(?) trades.

5. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Red Lanterns, they have kitties!

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Any opinions out there about the new 52 Green Arrow? and/or the New Guardians?

Thanks for the recommendation. Though honestly, I have absolutely no interest in the character...

Thanks for the tip. The previews have given me what I hope is a good idea of how the rest of the comics would be like. It's increased my interest in Green Arrow, but has also lessened my interest in the Red Lanterns.

I also explored some of the other comics that I had previously considered, but had ruled out for one reason or another. Wonder Woman being one of the main ones. I like the look of the covers, but the inside are was a bit disappointing in comparison, and the story didn't really draw me in. I'll gladly get a figure of her new 52 design when it's inevitably released, but I don't currently think I would enjoy the comics too much.

Really good point. From what I've seen most of the different printings aren't significantly different (Justice League seams to be the exception). If there was more of a difference with some of the one's I'm interested in, I would get both. As-is, the only one I'm considering that has a big enough difference to consider getting both, is the Red Lanterns. Not a huge difference, but I do like how both printings of #1 look compared to each other.

Cool...I'll keep that in-mind if I ever get into the pre-new 52 Green Arrow stuff...

I have to admit, Dex-Starr is not really a character I really care for, lol. Though that's based off of what I've read about the character online, so experiencing the character in the actual comics could actually improve my view on him...maybe.

7. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I would think you'd need to know a lot of stuff about GL to read either of the Green Lantern related books.

8. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I'm reading GL: New Guardians and Red Lanterns myself. Both I'd say have been pretty interesting so far. I wouldn't say you'd really need to know much background. Most of these characters are new so we're just getting introduced to them, and with the relaunch, they kinda reintroduce those that we already know (such as New Guardians #1 briefly recapping Kyle's origin).

9. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

In the up most sense with New Guardians and Red Lanterns you do somewhat need some background knowledge of a few characters. For instance, New Guardians focuses on Kyle Rayner and other prominent members of the other lantern factions i.e. Red, Blue, etc. Also knowing a bit of what has happened up to this point in the Lantern mythos doesn't hurt either seeing as the Lantern titles didn't change at all after pre-DCNU.

Red you don't need to know too much since much of it is stand alone but at least knowing some characters helps like Atrocius and his obsession with Krona. Otherwise since it's pretty much a new series in its own right, many of the characters get their own stories told.

Hm...if a good series to read. Don't know if you ave any interest in Superman but Action Comics is a good one to read. Just details the early life of Supes before becoming who we would come to know as the man of steel with back up story of Steel within the latest issue.

I'm sure there's other titles that would be okay but I'd just have to sit and think about it and all.

10. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I'm a GA fan. Haven't tried the DCNu version yet, but I'll pick up the trade. I'm excited to see what Nocetti will do come issue 7.

I'd also pick up Last Stand of the Wreckers for some great Transformers storytelling.

11. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    While I haven't read any GL comics in quite some time, I've read a lot about what's happened since I did, so I would like to assume that I know enough to not get too confused with one of the new GL books.

The recapping of Kyle's origin is, imo, a really nice detail.

I've never been a big fan of Superman, but thinking about it, I've never really delved into the character at all. Since they're going back to his roots, I'll look into it. Who knows, I might actually like the "Man of Steel" if I got to know him a bit, lol. Looking at the covers, I see that he starts out with a simpler outfit, but that he eventually adopts the new 52 redesigned suit, which I like. I can't seem to find any previews for it, so I might just go read/watch some reviews instead.

Might sound like blasphemy to some, but as of late my interest in Transformers has been...steadily lessening. Though even at the height of my Transformers geekdome I wouldn't really be interested in the comics...

12. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Out of curiosity, has anybody here actually read any of the new 52 Green Arrow comics?

13. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    If anybody was curious, I've decided to go with two titles, rather than just one. I've ordered the first five issues of both Green Arrow and Action Comics from Midtown Comics, along with a Justice League poster, L.O.S.H. flight ring, and the three free Green Lantern pins. Seemed like the perfect opportunity to use-up the fifty dollar "Walmart VISA gift card" I got for Christmas. I can't wait to get them. I just hope they ship everything all at once, since I doubt I've got enough left on the card to cover any additional shipping if they choose to ship the #5's separately from the rest of it (they shouldn't, since there wasn't anything about separate shipping costs for those issues when I was going through the checkout).