Heavy/Scratch: (non-TF) Shaana, the girl who could kick your ass

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SmokescreenSWE, Apr 4, 2009.

1. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is the first serious character I ever created, back in 1995, Shaana Meneghan. She's a Rohir from Tolkien's Middle-Earth, with Black Numenorean and Corsair heritage. While initially based on her namesake from Ultima VIII, she was eventually redesigned based on a Dragonlance figure (visible in one of the pictures).

Physically, Shaana is very strong and almost superhumanly agile, but she's not very clever and tends to rush into things, which makes her prefer the wilderness where she makes her own rules. Although she has no magical skills whatsoever, she's a relentless collector of useful magical items like her titanium chestplate, her burning two-handed sword "The Dragon's Toothpick" and super-jumping boots. One of her greatest adventures ended with the defeat of a lich and finding a ridiculously large treasure, which she mostly spent on powerful herbs. Some of those gave her the strength to cut through three men at once, and some saved her life when an invisible warrior carved her chest open and left her practically dead - the only time she's been in real trouble.

The second picture shows you a sample of pictures I've drawn of her over the years, the oldest (bottom-left) dating all the way back to 1997. I played her in RPG campaigns on and off between 1995 and 1998 or so, but eventually lost my nerve and stopped risking her to the whims of dice. Her story has gone on after that, with the notable defeat of a dragon (top-left) after which she cut her hair and dropped most of the armor (figuring that armor only slows her down and is no help against really strong opponents anyway).

So, after finishing Silver (the girl in red in pic 9) I decided to give my first character a proper physical form.

She is 26 cm tall (which works out at about 1/7 scale) and based on a plain Obitsu doll and a golden-haired head with decal eyes. Everything else I created from scratch, including figuring out how to make her braids (come on - there are SOME things a guy doesn't normally know how to do). Being an Obitsu doll, she's extremely posable, although the armor restricts her somewhat.

The chest armor is papier mache and clips around her, although her head must be removed to fit it over her shoulders so she's VERY reluctant to take it off. The pauldrons are posable to follow the movements of her arms. The gloves and boots are modelled with green stuff and are the only pieces that can't be removed. The arm and leg guards are styrene, heated and folded slightly, fastened with elastics, and so is the fur skirt. Finally, the blue dress is hand-sewn (also a challenge).

Accessories include her pentagrammed cloak, which she got off some cultists way back. It's been cut in half and ripped up since then but I went with a pristine one. Her helmet, which I drew in a single picture in 1997, was made from a Kinder chocolate egg container and fits perfectly on her head. Her sword was built completely from styrene with a left over Transformers pin for stability and a Bionicle ball for the counterweight. So yeah, she includes original Transformers pieces and totally belongs here :D 

All metal pieces where sprayed with silver paint and details hand-painted. To reduce sewing, all edges of cloth have been lacquered to not fray. All in all, I've learned plenty of new techniques making this, and I'm very pleased with the results.

Attached Files:

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    she looks like she could kick my ass- but only cause I'd probably let her.
    nice work.

3. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Nice to see you back, man! :thumb  Good work.

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    pretty cool piece. I wish more Radicons posted Tolkien customs.