Customs: [Non-TF] Care to give me a hand?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Stonecrusher, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Stonecrusher

Stonecrusher jerk to storytelling

News Credits:
    Not literally, but anyway - I got a Gunpla 0 Gundam in the mail and threw the thing together in a few hours. Then, it lost the back of its right hand and I've looked for it pretty much everywhere. So now, I turn to you and ask you this - how would you fabricate a substitute back-of-the-hand?

2. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    My immidiate response would be to get some sheet styrene and build one.

But I'm sure there are some gundam model kit forums or just gundam forums, I bet someone there casts replacement parts

3. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

Not being familiar with this kit, I want to ask if the back of the hand is just a cover, or if it includes key articulation (i.e., does this mean you're also missing the ball joint/wrist/articulation for the fingers?)

Megatron 31's suggestion of using plastic to replicate it is what seems the easiest. A note: although hobby store styrene is easy to work with, it is not the only source of useable plastic. If it's going to be painted anyway, pretty much any plastic will do. My suggestion: if you've received any gift cards for christmas, check to see if they are plastic. After you redeem them, tell the clerk you want to keep it. Boom, free useable plastic.

If you do go the "create your own replacement" route, consider doing it for both hands. That way they'll be symetrical, and you will obsess over it less. (This has worked for me in the past.)

A further consideration: you could take this as a sign that you should customize the hell out of this figure, starting with replacing the right hand with a gattling gun, or a chainsaw.:D