Non-show Characters Getting Toys... A Thing of the Past???

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OhSlag!, Jan 14, 2012.

1. OhSlag!

OhSlag! Well-Known Member

Looking at the current Transformers TV show toyline from Prime (so far), and the previous Animated toylines, non-show character toys, that are not just simple repaints/retools, seem to becoming a thing of the past.

The last TF show I watched whose toyline had non-show toys was Beast Wars, and I loved some of those non-show toys (in the end they did get some coverage in the IDW comics, for example Razorbeast). I didn't watch any of the Unicron Trilogy so I don't know if any were released there.

Obviously, the Bay films had TONS of non-movie toy, some of which were awesome (Mindwipe for example IMO). I would like to non-show characters get toys, whether they be original character or reinventing old characters. On the other hand, I would sacrafice non-show toys to get figures of show character that never got a toy (for example, the constructicons of Animated)

I have a few questions for you:

1. Do you like non-show characters getting toys? Why/why not?
    2. Do you have any favourties that stand out?
    3. Do you think they are becoming a thing of the past? Why/why not?

2. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Wasn't Oil Slick pretty much non-show for a good while? Even his design was different from what finally appeared onscreen. On to your questions:

Do you like non-show characters getting toys? Why/why not?

Yes! Because, as the offscreen movie toys showed us, they let the designers run wild creating the toy, not having to worry about making the robot resemble the already-designed character, and having to cheat in transformation to do so. This -generally- results in better, more freely designed toys.

Do you have any favourties that stand out?

Although it's movieverse, Terradive comes to mind. He's what happens when a designer has full freedom to do a fun toy without having to reference anything.

Do you think they are becoming a thing of the past? Why/why not?

We'll have to see what happens with Prime and the transformers MMO to see if this is true. I can understand Classics/Generations not having original characters because it would have gone against the very concept of the thing, and there are always existing characters waiting to be updated. I'm honestly expecting to see one or two originals in the Prime toyline, and I'm sure they'll be great.

3. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    With the fiction-centered lines, you have to understand that back in a day, every character would get one toy, maybe two or three if his name was "Optimus", "Megatron", "Cheetor" or "Starscream".

These days, nearly every character gets multiple toys in different sizes. So obviously the lines don't have to be padded out as much as they used to be anymore.

4. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think these toys should ever go away entirely, but they are definitely less attractive to me than ones that represent characters. I think Oil Slick is nice because he got to be a concept and a toy first, and it was good enough to get brought into the show. I also like non-toy characters better when they can easily fit into the world of the show. Movie Decepticons are a good example, as there is a whole horde of them. Movie Autobots actually don't fit in so well...the comic had to murder them all to get down to the stated 9 Autobots in the film!

5. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

I generally don't like a Transformer without a connection to a film, cartoon, or comic. I'd probably accept a wholly original Junkion character. I like backstories to obscure characters, like Sunstorm and Air Warrior.

If they came out with a character called Sonicboom, it might be a cool toy, might be fun to play with, but it would hold no meaning to me. It'd be like buying any random toy.

6. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I am the complete opposite. I don't want non-show/movie toys till all the on-screen ones get toys of a major class. I know you are talking about cartoons, but in the movieverse I would much rather have had every onscreen character before they started giving us some random figure that (for me) doesn't really belong to any main line. As someone stated, with Animated, I would have loved to have had the constructicons added. Though I only watched one episode, it had them, and they looked like they would make pretty slick toys.

7. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I prefer getting toys with some character. The small blurb Hasbro puts at the back doesn't really do much for me. Doesn't really matter if the guy gets featured in the show, but I'd like some sort of representation in fiction, like comics. I miss the days when Hasbro had more detailed tech specs, and when they had a comic to feature all those non show guys. Characters like say Thunderwing or even more modern ones like Music Label Soundwave never made show appearances but other fiction made them greater than they were.

8. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Oooo fun!

1. Yes! The movie lines have been great about characters that were not in the films getting toys are they are some damn fine toys. I think of TFTM Arcee and Dropkick the pickup both really fun toys. As well as the wreckage mold. Guess i answered number 2 in part there. Favorite figure of a toy taht did not appear in the movie or tv show is ROTF Lockdown. Tall creepy and great alt mode.

I do not think they will be eliminated but i think with Prime and Animated its different because of the way Animated and Prime seem to be handling characters. Animated and so far Prime have a small main cast from both cons and bots but the biggest difference between these shows and beast wars is that Prime and animated have a lot of characters that only appear in a few episodes that get toys. Again prime is based on what we saw in season 1. But using animated as an example for characters that appeared occasioanly but got toys:
    Jazz
    Ultra Magnus
    Rodimus
    Arcee
    Lockdown
    Wreck-gar
    Sentinel Prime
    Jetfire and Jetstorm
    Swindle
    Blurr
    Shockwave
    Ironhide.

Thats all i can think of atm but i think this shows that hasbro is trying to incorporate characters that they want to make toys of into the media better to increase sales. I do not think hasbro is going to do away with toys for characters that do not get screen time but they will try and incorporate them into the existing fiction.

9. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Yes, I tend to find most of my favorite characters are ones that are not in the TV series.

Yep

BW: Spittor, Snarl, Razorclaw, Iguanus, Air Hammer, Bantor, Cybershark, Polar Claw, Bonecrusher, K9, Wolfang
    BM: Hammerstrike, Mirage, Scavenger, Spystreak
    Cybertron: Hardtop and Armorhide
    ROTF: Armorhide, Brawn, Breakaway, Bludegon (D), Mindwide, Skystalker
    HFTD: Hailstorm, Terradive, Tomahawk
    DOTM: Skyhammer and Darksteel

I really hope not, I much rather see something new instead of the 20th Prime, Megatron, Bumblebee, or Starscream repaint in a year.

10. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like non-show characters getting toys. How can I not when my favorite TF is Energon Sharkticon. :D 

As for whether they are the thing of a past, I don't think so. A good amount of movie figures are non-show characters, and who can say what Prime will hold.

11. EmbraceThePurpl

EmbraceThePurpl Purple Dinosaur

I really like toy only characters...i hope hasbro dosn't stop makin em

12. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think hasbro/takara ever intends to have non-show toys.

We get alot with the movie toys because there isn't enough characters to support a full toyline. Which is odd since they omit some movie characters. However, I think that has to do with having a diverse toyline that doesn't have to many cars or construction vehicles.

The only reason we had so many non-show characters in beast wars was mainframe couldn't handle the cost of modeling them all.

With g1 pretty much all of the Takara designed toys got in.

Rid got extra repaints since it was a small takara line.

The unicron trilogy was a japan driven so Hasbro added more for american audiences.

Now With Animated and prime Hasbro is working with the show companies so there is less need for non show toys. I think Oilslick was only made because hasbro wanted an offset for prowl.

Seams like now we have to deal with show characters not getting toys.

13. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    We won't even know what characters would be considered non-show until the series is done.

With animated though, wouldn't things like Cheetor be considered non-show? Roadbuster too?

14. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Typically, it isn't that non-show characters get toys, it's that only certain toys make it into the show. Apart from movies, the toys were always planned out first. I don't know how they're handling it for Prime though.