Non fans opinion...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by tikgnat, Sep 1, 2006.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So I had a quick chat to a friend.

He HATES Transformers, he thinks the G1 robots look stupid with all the doors, wheels and other assorted ALT mode bits hanging off the bot mode. He thinks that Masterpiece Prime is very impressive, but he still has an issue because Prime still has a truck front for a chest.

He's not anti robot though. he likes Gundam Robots and has some sweet model kits he used to have on his desk at work. He also loves Star Wars, more so than anyone else I know.

He loves Megatrons movie look.

I think he said, 'A huge Alien spaceship beats a handgun any day.'

So as part of the new demographic that the movie is trying to reach, it's doing something right. Just my opinion.

Flame away...

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Not flaming, but its just different tastes. My buddy hate transformers also...the only geek thing they like Is Preacher, and they all absolutely hate all the designs.

Different Strokes for Different Folks...don't ya just love humanity.

3. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I think this just proves that some people will like the designs and some people will not. Which I sure that Bay and co are hoping for.

I can't imagine anyone who haven’t ever seen or heard of transformers to not like the designs they look pretty bad ass...

4. prime is a legend

prime is a legend Hooch is crazy.

Me and a pal were looking at the transformers designs and we where both impressed with them. my friend always thought it looked a little stupid that the robots had peices which made them obviously vehicles.

5. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

I know someone who is a non-fan but he likes The G1 stuff as opposed to the later stuff.

Even so from his standpoint, even he thinks they could do better with the movie Megatron.

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Whatever. He's totally wrong. He's not a "true fan." :p  :lol 

7. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

I talked to some of my friends (which are geeks) and showed them the latest designs and the Megatron pics. I told them to tell me honestly what they think about it and their votes were all the same: :thumbdown 
    Only after they gave me their piece of mind on the subject I told them my opinions about Bay's movie.

Differn't Strokes....

8. Silver Bullit

Silver Bullit Banned

I showd the pics to others I knew. They didn't like them.

Of course we are all force fed opinions that some people love them.

Some people like it, some people don't. It really shouldn't be a big deal.

The line is crossed when flames are launched over it tho.

SB

9. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    :lol 

10. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I had a long talk with a couple of guys at work a few nights ago.

One's a big "comic book" guy, the other is just an average Joe, they both liked the designs, but were a little cool on Megatron because he "didn't look like anything" and neither were fans of Starscream, one said he should transform different so his torso wasn't so wide, and the "comic book" guy thought he should look more humanoid, and have a different head.

11. Trypitcon

Trypitcon No, I can't spell.

yup...which works the other way around. if they were exactly like G1, there'd be a group who doesn't like those designs.

12. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I showed my brothers friend tyler (who remembers the originals, and thought they were cool, but is not a "fan" like people who post here

his comment when I showed them to him was "what the fuck is that?" and walked away

13. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

The blokes and gals over on a Doctor Who forum I frequent are all very interested in the designs, think they look interesting and alien.

14. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I showed my friend prime and megatron...he said...they don't look like transformers...he is a video production manager at the biltmore, in phoenixsets up conventions...he grew up with transformers....just another mans' opinion....

15. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I have friends who like them and friends who don't. It would be that way no matter what the designs were. None of my non-fan friends seem upset by the designs though. One friend of mine who grew up loving the G1 cartoon pretty much responds "huh? I dunno, looks kinda weird" whenever I show him a new image, and pretty much shrugs it off. Another friend, who grew up on the G1 comics more than the cartoon loves the new designs. The rest of my male friends seem mixed on the designs depending on each robot. Blackout is universally seen as awesome. Prime and Bumblebee are generally seen as awesome or okay, Megatron is usually a WTF, but not a hugely bad reaction ("that's crazy-looking"), and there's been no concensus among my male non-fan friends about Starscream. None of my female friends had any interest in TransFormers or any other robots growing up, and they don't have any interest at all in these ones now.

We'll see if these opinions change once the robots have been seen in action.

16. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Showed them to some of my friends as well (age 15-17, non TF fans), and they all thought they were awesome. They weren't interested in Starscream because it's a toy pic, though.

17. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

showed a couple of my friends who are not big fans but know of Tf's and my girlfriend who's been with me 3 years so she knows all the stuff I got and is starting to learn more and more. My friends thought they were cool until i told them they were designs from the moive and both of them where wtf, they didnt even get Megatron. They both think the new design are dumb. My girlfriend is pretty much the same way, i showed her a pic of Prime and she had no idea who it was really thats saying something.

18. Book of Junon

Book of Junon Banned

I don't know anyone personally in real life, fan or not who likes these shitty designs.

19. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

I have not shown any of the leaked images to anyone else. I don't think it's fair to the filmmakers for me to be flaunting around unconfirmed early concept designs and leaked photos, claiming them as the final movie designs. The filmmakers should be given the opportunity to sell their designs in the context of the film, and present them how they intended. When we get closer to the film's release, and when we're certain the designs we've seen are final and not just for part of the film, I'll probably show some things to gauge reaction. When I see an image officially posted by the filmmakers or toy images officially released by Hasbro, I'll trust what I'm seeing is the final deal.

20. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    With the exception of other Transformers fans that I know, everyone loves these new designs, which is what Bay and Hasbro are counting on. This is not for us, it’s for people like my Mom, who has a master degree and makes over 100 grand a year yet still refers to Transformers as "that show where the red truck fights those jet-men". Average Joe American has the money, the time, and loves sappy endings where the bad guys loose and the boy kisses the girl in front of the US flag. That may not be what all the fans want, but it’s going to make one hell of a blockbuster, money-making, summer film. Just roll with it, and have a good time.