Customs: Non-bashers just don't understand

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I've grown increasingly frustrated with non-bashers recently. It incenses me how they belittle our work and dismiss it as nothing more than a few layers of paint and some superglue.

I think the repro portion of the community is also taking a hit as some fans are whining about a part not being made specifically for them, or how some of them dismiss the custom upgrade kits as "cheap pieces of crap" without realizing how much skill, time, and money is involved in creating these pieces. Not to mention how ungrateful some of them are.

Am I the only one that feels this way? I certainly hope not. Is there anything that can be done?

Discuss.

Attached Files:

2. DreadwindsGhost

DreadwindsGhost Micro Mad

Yeah - you can realise that you can't please everyone, and get on with your life without caring about what some people on the internet think.

Sorry to be harsh, but there it is. Some people will like yours and other's work - some won't. More often than not the people who don't will be more vocal and irrational about it. Tis just life.

3. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You guys have been at this a lot longer than I have, but even before I started doing it myself I've had a high appreciation for what goes into doing your own bash.

Half of the people who post crap like that (more like 80%) will never understand, they expect everything to be top of the line releases that match Hasbro's quality (and just because Hasbro/Takara releases it doesn't guarantee quality. Just look at the Bruticus reissue, for example).

As far as design and craftsmanship goes, I'll put the FP Commander armor up against anything Hasbro/Takara has produced in the last 5 years or more (outside of the MP series).

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I don't mind what they have to say about my work in particular. I'm more bothered by their comments regarding the upgrade kits, especially when they're basing their opinions on a few prototype images.

5. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

all they know how to do is buy stuff. they never go through the hardship of making stuff. sometimes i just wish to say "put up or shut up!" but i can't bring myself to even respond.

6. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Unfortunately, most people don't care if it's made by 4 people in a garage or a big corporation. To them, if it's a deluxe sized toy, it shouldn't be more than $10-15. Or if it doesn't look top notch, then it's junk.

It takes a little exposure to the craft to really appreciate why things cost what they do or how much work goes into something that looks simple.

7. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    With the Deluxe Starscream set, it's like they are being forced to buy the set. I'M NOT PAYING THAT! Screw those people. I don't mind the prices for upgrade kits. They make the base figure look even better. I thought $80 was crazy for the City Commander but when I saw a video review, I ordered it right away. I just ordered the new Prime trailer. Can't wait to get that. The only kit I didn't order was the Superion only because Superion himself was crap. The reviews look great and I almost want to get him and the kit but the figure is so crappy so I don't need the kit.

I wish hasbro would sell kits and accessories.

8. Malunis_T

Malunis_T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just have to say I have MAJOR respect to the kitbashers community. Those who Follow me on Twitter notice I like coming to the Radicons section here a lot. XD

Generally I think Radicons are, in some way, good competition for Hasbro. Without the time constraints and worry of a budget, you guys can come up with things Hasbro cannot. Combiners are some of my favorite examples.

But yeah, I know there are people who, maybe unintentionally, sometimes look at kitbashing and, despite the complexity, expect more. Not too long ago I saw someone complaining about how it was taking too long (a few days, even) to get an update on a kitbash project. I felt the urge to say something, but best not start any fights.

Bottom line though, I have much respect to you guys. You do things well because you have dedication. :)  I hope that, once I start doing my own customs, I can be just as dedicated.

9. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

It is annoying when people who don't kitbash say things which are purely negative, and not constructive. However, I just ignore them all. Some of them will be nicer about it than others, though.

Frankly, I haven't had much of that type of stuff happen to me, but then that's exactly why i hang around Radicons.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    For the very reason of this thread and specifically this quote, this is why we spent the time and hashed out the Radicons Guidelines and Etiquette. Each staff member of Radicons can tell you of his own personal negative experience at other places, and we don't want any of you guys going through any of that here. While we do everything we can as a staff to advocate this, it's really up to each person who posts and contributes to do so well.