Nolan North? a big deal on this week?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by MTME, Sep 6, 2012.

1. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry not meaing to sound rude but everyone is going ape shit about Nolan North voicing a certain upcoming character this week.
    A few people have even said this upcming character won't last because a "celebrity" is voicing it.
    I wouldn't call Nolan North a celebrity. He is known by those who watch cartoons and few that know the voiceover work peoplw.
    I fall into both of those catagories but I only know who Nolan North is because he did a voice in my favorite fandom TMNT. He voiced Raphael in the 2007 TMNT movie.
    I'm not dogging the guy, he is a great voice actor and I love him to death. But I wouldn't call him a celebruty. He isn't a household name.

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    He regularly voices Superman/Boy as a main cast member on the far better show, Young Justice. Kevin Michael Richardson's in almost everything these days. What's stopping him from being a new Autobot? He's not voiced by someone that everyone knows, such as Jackie Chan or Eddie Murphy.

3. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Unless it's the North household :D  (sorry, had to go there)

4. optimegatron

optimegatron Not over, not finished.

News Credits:
    I actually do find it fitting to call him a celebrity.

Pretty much everyone who plays quality video games/ watch good cartoons can recognize his voice. He voiced Nathan Drake, Deadpool, Superman/Boy, FoC Cliffjumper, and I'm sure there's dozens more I forgot. (EDIT: Almost forgot about Smokescreen :p )

So sure, while you don't see him on TV every day, that's not what being a celebrity means. It's about being known and loved by a community. Even video gamers.

5. 13 Primes

13 Primes Well-Known Member

The Great Nolan North is a Celebrity, especially to the Video game world, he Does so many voices in games it's not even funny.

But you are Probably right, to average viewers he might not be as Know simply because he is never seen, just heard.
    I Think Mo-cap and Voice over actors are Extremely underrated for the Awesome Jobs that they do.

I Love Nolan North He's one of My FAV Voice Actors :D 
    but not even he will get me to Start Watching TF Prime again!

6. optimegatron

optimegatron Not over, not finished.

News Credits:
    Being a huge fan of Nolan North, I'd suggest you only watch the episodes Smokescreen is in. Because he is going to die in less than 5.

Think about it. Cliffjumper? Dead.

Hardshell? Dead.

Anyone who isn't voiced by someone of the basic TF voice acting cast, is DUE FOR DEATH.

7. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    What is to be wondered is how high his pay grade is. I think that had a role in when Breakdown was killed off.

8. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    In the voiceover world, Nolan North *is* a celebrity.

The fact people know who he is and can instantly rattle off roles he has had is indicative of that.

He also probably doesn't come cheap and has a packed schedule, so there is most likely no way he's committing to Prime for the long haul.

9. Oberoniss

Oberoniss DOESN'T-EXIST BABBU

News Credits:
    Nolan North is a VA celebrity, not an acting celebrity like The Rock. There's no reason he couldn't last on the show.

Besides, we have Frank Welker on here and he's pretty much a permanent character.. although that's probably different.

10. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think the character is going to die. In a couple of episodes later it says that someone joins Team prime and we all thought it would be Wheeljack, but it looks like Wheeljack has taken off it probably won't be him and will be the new character.
    I think the character can last no matter who voices it.

Sorry I am trying to watch the spoilers as I didn't put spoilers in the thread title

11. StarYoshi14

StarYoshi14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nolan North is a big name in voice acting, he is not a 'celebrity'. Dwayne Johnson didn't last because he goes and does movies, he doesn't have the time for weekly voice recording sessions. Meanwhile, Nolan North is primarily a voice actor for video games, but he has done many voices for cartoons. In cartoon voice acting, he does Superboy on Young Justice and it is absolutely fantastic.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Nolan North is pretty much described as video game's leading man. He is my best friend's favourite voice actor for his role as Nathan Drake.

He totally has great range for sure. I think Penguin from Arkham City is one of his most definitive roles since it sounds nothing like Nathan.

But I think I have to say his best role for me is Deadpool. I am glad he's on Prime playing Smokescreen it's so fitting for him to play too.

13. StarryAqua

StarryAqua Former fandom follower

News Credits:
    Ask any fan "Who is the first character you think of when you hear Nolan North?" and see how many say Nathan Drake.

If it wasn't for that one character, he'd probably lose about half his fanbase.

14. Orbital

Orbital Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd doubt that its the same case as Dwayne. Nolan North is known to voice reoccurring characters in cartoon shows: Young Justice, Ben 10, Wolverine and the X-men, etc. I also think, if they could rope someone like Steve Blum, they can get someone like Nolan to be on the show as a main member of the cast.

15. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    No offense intended, but I really don't think I would go so far as to call Nolan a "celebrity" to the general population. Now, amongst voice actors and the voice-acting industry, sure. He's very prominent and has done a lot of stuff. He's very much "out in the public eye" (in terms of the voice-acting industry). But there really is no "celebrity status" that would inhibit him/his character from being a regular recurring role. If Welker, KMR, Daran Norris and others can be regular VAs on the show, than so can North; he's no more or less "voice acting celebrity" status than those. Again, please don't read any negativity in that. I'm not dissing him and his work. If anything, I'm saying that he's the perfect VA to have on the show as a regular.

But you can do the same thing for 50% of VAs out there. I am in no way knocking any of them or their talents (because I'm a huge voice-acting fan), but let's just take a look at this. If I may use your phrase...

Ask any fan "Who is the first character you think of when you hear Peter Cullen?" and see how many say Optimus Prime. If it wasn't for that one character, he'd probably lose about half his fanbase.

Ask any fan "Who is the first character you think of when you hear Mark Hamill?" and see how many say The Joker. If it wasn't for that one character, he'd probably lose about half his fanbase.

Ask any fan "Who is the first character you think of when you hear Clancy Brown?" and see how many say Lex Luthor. If it wasn't for that one character, he'd probably lose about half his fanbase.

Ask any fan "Who is the first character you think of when you hear Dan Castelleneta?" and see how many say Homer Simpson. If it wasn't for that one character, he'd probably lose about half his fanbase.

See? Now of course, every VA I just listed has dozens and dozens of other roles that they've done, some possibly as prominent as the "famous" role mentioned for each VA. It's not exclusive to a VA like North. That's acting - be it live action or voice acting. Majority of actors are very well-known for an iconic role, even if they've done more than just that role. Sam Neill will probably always be seen as "Dr. Grant", despite being involved in many other projects. RDJ now has the iconic role of "Tony Stark" forever with him, despite having many other iconic roles. It comes with the territory. North's just happens to be Nathan Drake.

16. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Unless you ask a hardcore Star Wars fan.

17. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
  18. Arashistorm

Arashistorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was going to quote and respond "Luke Skywalker" lol, but he had a point and was covering VAs and not acting roles =P, so stickling seemed out of place lol

But Tyler just proved once again why he's bad. ass.

19. 13 Primes

13 Primes Well-Known Member

LOL Yeah! You Should get the games It's an Unbelievable Gaming Experience

The funny thing is in FOC

Cliffjumper is Played by Nolan North/ Nathan Drake from Uncharted
    And Jazz is Played by Troy Baker/Joel From The Last of Us

Both of them are The stars of Naughty dogs Games
    And they both share the Same Levels LOL I Loved it! :D 

20. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    And there goes the other half...