noisy laptop fan question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ckhtiger, Mar 14, 2006.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

so after 3 years of relatively quiet spinning, the fan on my laptop has gotten noticeably louder. why is it doing this now, and what can I do to make it quieter? I'm assuming it's getting worn out or something, but it'd be great if all I had to do was just spray some wd40 in it or something.

2. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I would have it checked out ASAP, funky fan noises especially on laptops are a very bad sign and if you are having fan problems it can permently damage your laptop. Having worked in a used computer shop I can say that we have had many people come in with these kinds of problems and in most cases the system was not being cooled properly and in a lot of cases lead to permenet damage.

I would start by taking some compressed air to it, if there's no change get it checked out.

3. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

well, it's really not THAT bad, not horribly noisy or anything, it's just that I pretty sure that the volume of the whirring has gotten a bit noisier. did the compressed air and did get some dust out, but I can't remember how loud it was before. I'm really sensitive to this, because my girlfriend's laptop has always had a horribly noisy fan.

4. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Ah Ok, well in that case if it does not sound bad I think your fine. But I have to agree I'm also sensitive to that kind of stuff as well. Actually went to more extreme measures with my desktop putting in Zalman fans amongst other steps and whatnot, makes a difference that’s for sure. But ya I feel your pain on this, computers make some of the most annoying noises imaginable.

If you feel brave enough you might want to try and open it up and maybe get some dust out of there that way as well.

5. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

yeah, I've had it open before, put in a new keyboard and a new harddrive. would it be a bad idea to lube the center of the fan? I have no idea if that would quiet it or not, but I can't really understand what causes them to make noise in the first place.