No Sacrifice, No Victory VS. This Isn't My War

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Matt Starr, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Well-Known Member

The main difference between this film and the original to me is that Revenge Of The Fallen seems to operate on an much more objective level. As most of us probably know, most good films also contain the subjective level, where the hero struggles to overcome his character flaw.

In the first film of course it was about Sam growing from a boy into a man. Not just getting his first car (and first girlfriend), but becoming a man by taking responsibility and making sacrifices. "No sacrifice, no victory"--what a killer line.

I didn’t feel the subjective storyline of ROTF—that Sam didn’t want to have anything to do with this war, or even the Autobots themselves—was developed as strongly as it should have been. I personally didn’t feel the same emotional pull with ROTF as I did with the first because of this. “This isn’t my war” could be a strong subjective storyline, but again, it just wasn’t developed as fully as the original film's emotional storyline in my VERY HUMBLE opinion. :) 

Of course, many people didn’t like the human side of the first film whatsoever, so this point should be moot with you LOL. But on the flipside, even if we were to say Optimus Prime were the main protagonist, he himself didn’t have an especially underlying storyline. His mission was to protect and he did that amazingly well—I just didn’t feel the connection to it.

So unfortunately, although most of the fights were pretty damn cool, I felt somewhat detached from them, and the entire movie. What's your take on this aspect of the films? :) 

2. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some good points, if only the movie slowed down enough to cover any of these

3. Matt Starr

Yes, the pacing of it too made it difficult to flesh those out.

4. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

in the first movie i felt like i could possibly be sam, it was believable and i wanted sam to get the girl and save the day and be a hero. in this film i wasnt rooting for sam or anyone through out the movie to be honest.

5. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a movie about big f*cking robots. If you want emo stuff, go watch anime or Titanic.
    What's wrong with you people? Bitching about the lack of human melodrama in a TRANSFORMERS movie, c'mon.

6. fastballspecial

fastballspecial SAY SOMETHIN'!

News Credits:
    last time everyone bitched because there was too much human stuff... NOW everyone is bitching about not having enough human drama in it. my head is starting to hurt.

complete extermination of existence, please come quick.

7. Matt Starr

Lol, I KNOW you last 2 posters weren't talking to me, because I didn't "bitch" about the human involvement--not during the first movie, not now.

I've simply stated what for me was a lack of connection to the characters and their storylines--robot or human.

And I did also say that if we focus on Prime and the Autobots as the main protagonists, their storyline didn't carry a lot of emotional weight for me. Thus the action scenes felt like they dragged on and weren't especially exciting, or at least compared to the first one.

But that's just me. And like I said, I still enjoyed it for what it was: giant ****ing robots kicking metal butt.

8. fastballspecial

fastballspecial SAY SOMETHIN'!

News Credits:
    just in general, man. not toward you.

9. Matt Starr

Gotcha, thanks. :) 

10. JKahn913

JKahn913 Bunch of Mooncalves

I agree exactly. That theme could have been developed, but as it was seemed only a throw-away line that wasn't really reflected throughout the film. I think Optimus was the only hook from in terms of storytelling. And the movie suffered for his absence in half of it.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I think it's mostly because if we're going to keep being stuck with the humans for most of the movie it might be nice if they had something worthwhile and developing for their characters to do during that time.

12. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    It would've been interesting if it was developed right. His conversation with Bumblebee in the garage is a great segue into what has changed over the course of two years.