No PSP option...

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Nerroth, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    Hi.

While I'm interested to see how War for Cybertron will pan out - not lest in terms of what other stories might branch out from the groundwork laid out here - I'm disappointed that no version for the PlayStation Portable has been listed, as of yet anyway.

(I don't have a DS or one of the current-gen consoles, plus the current PC has no hope of running it.)

Has there been any word on why the PSP hasn't been chosen as one of the game's platforms, or whether or not they may re-consider it in future?

2. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    None to my knowledge, but I hope the PSP gets its own version. It would a shame if its 1.8GB UMD format isn't able to show what it can do for Transformers. The last two movie games were on PSP, right?

However, if the PSP version had the weakest sales figures for a Transformer game, perhaps that's why we haven't (won't) hear of a PSP release date.

3. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I merely thought the PSP would get it's own rendition of the game. Not just a watered down version of the game, but it's own thing with WFC slapped on.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    PSP ports/versions always have the weakest sales for any game. even PSP exclusives don't sell well. look how long the "big" "relaunch" sony had going for the PSPGo turned out. a handful of games came out, and now it's dried up again.

5. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The PSPGo was doomed before it got out the door. No UMD support for already purchased games or future releases and mandatory downloads sounds like a whole lot of fun. I thought Ipods success was due to its cheap downloads. Sony did the unthinkable, charging nearly the same price as UMDs for downlaod copies--who wants to jump on that? Sales figures show not many were interested in this crazy idea, not even a little.

I don't know how much PSP cost in the states or elsewhere, but in Japan they still cost quite a bit. Not release day prices, but not too far from. The DS, too, isn't too far from its launch day price, but that price was way below the PSP's. Sony should have made the pricing more attractive to the average gamer and not the die-hard gamer--sales show time and again that there are fewer of us every time a product is released or a product is launched.

Big sales figures have drawn developers Nintendo's way, but just how many of those games are worth owning (the same can be said for Sony's PSP, I know)? Nintendo has more than its fare share of crappy games.

Valkysas,

I hope they make a game exclusively for the PSP, no ports. I wish it were practical for the developers to do the same for the PS3 and XBOX 360 too. They both have their own strengths and weaknesses, and though they have similarities and are able to crank out nearly identical graphics and capabilities, they are not the same. I would love to see a Transformer game made just for the PS3 using the full capacity of its processing power and storage media. Cutting back on this or that to produce a similar experience on another console blows, as gamers on both sides of fence suffer.

With any luck, the PSP version, if there is one, will benefit by having its own unique interpretation of the story.

6. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    I agree that the PSPgo was a less-than-stellar outing - but at the very least, it helped cement the option that the Store offers.

When games such as Fate/Unlimited Codes (which wouldn't get a UMD release in the West) have the choice between a download option and no Western release at all, the former is better - even if I personally prefer to have UMDs.

In terms of game mechanics, the idea of a game built from the ground up for PSP is a good one - perhaps as the Crisis Core or Agito to the other platforms' games.