No more wal-mart for me (US COLLECTORS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by encline, Feb 2, 2009.

1. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No more wal-mart for me? (US COLLECTORS) discussion

The trhead in the news has become some debate about health care in the US vs Canada crap.
    I also looked through a lot of pages and did not find a discussion on this. So if there is merge it or something. No need to waste your energy to be a to complain about a second thread.

I know there are a lot of guys paying like $20.00 for a deluxe. Were I live in Dominican Republic leaders are like $75.00!!!!

But, what is going on with figures being $7.77 for a couple of months, $9.96 for a week, and now $13.00.

HOW do you almost double your price in not even a month? Is this a Hasbro thing or a Wal-Mart thing?

Lets see, oil is at like $40.00 a barrel, much cheaper for raw materials. Shipping is cheaper. Outsourcing.

Supply and demand? Bad world economy right now, food before toys. I say this but all deluxes are usually sold out!

Anybody have a clear reason why the huge jump. I am not so much complaining about the price as much as I am wondering about the rapid increase.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. djmagic

djmagic Well-Known Member

I'm thinking this might have part of hasbro's doing or the retailers as a group. I do say the increase is a little crazy. I think it isn't the deluxes only though. The animated battle begins pack was 20. Now the twins were 22. Also today I purchased Overload for 22 at Target. Even though I was at walmart today and work at walmart I haven't really looked to verify the price. If it is a price raise in my parts, then I might switch to using BBTS to get my fix.

3. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    LOL. So very true. I walked into that thread to find more info but quickly walked out.

The thing that I hate the most about the price hike is the fact that I didn't take advantage of the $7.77 price tag. Its not like I had a choice though. There haven't been any Transformers on pegs of the two closest Walmarts since mid December. Just a big empty wall.

I've had to go to Target for the two Cyclonus I bought. They were $9.99.

To me, this price hike has got to do more with Walmart than with Hasbro. Times are tough and Walmart needs to make money somehow... I haven't checked but I'm almost certain Transformers aren't the only things that increased in price..

4. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I think they're just doing it now to save face for when the movie line comes out, which was enough of a big money maker they know they could make some big bank this time again. So rather than raising the price when the movie line drops, do it now and get us used to the price, plus this way people can't say they just raised the price to take advantage of movie mania.

Do appreciate having been able to take advantage of the $7.77 for as long as I could though. Got Swoop, Cheetor, Blurr, and Swindle out of it. That's about $12 I saved, the price of a deluxe now ironically.

5. Astroscream

Astroscream News Cred > Street Cred

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Most deluxe's were sold out BEFORE the astronomical price increase at Walmart. I believe Hasbro's MSRP of 10.99 hasn't changed. This decision is entirely Walmart's. Walmart must be unhappy with the empty pegs and decided on a sure fire way to ensure those pegs remain full, as soon as they finally restock. I personally will shop elsewhere. I love capitalism........

6. shortround

shortround Banned

my wal mart sucks i cant find any thing ther and 12 bucks THATS S U C K S

7. encline

News Credits:
    I am with you guys. I bought all I wanted for $7.77!! Well, besides hotshot.

I am also thinking they will sell a lot of toys when TF2 hits, then they will lower the price to $10.99 and we will all be buying more!!!

8. Hybrid Prime

Hybrid Prime Banned

This is the increase we heard about to happen in the first quarter of the year for QC issues.Remember the lead paint scare a few months back?This is the result!

9. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    $7.77 wasn't the real price, consider it more like a sale that went on and on for too long.

10. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

While I'm not extremely happy about paying almost twice as much for the deluxe figures now, I'm not entirely unhappy either. That price point was unreasonably low to begin with and it resulted in me purchasing multiples of too many characters. Now I'm going to be extremely picky about the toys that I purchase and will definitely be avoiding multiples of the same character. More money in my pocket in the end, really. I'll still be buying my figures from Wal-Mart if they get them in first. If not, I'll buy them somewhere else like I've always done.

11. Astroscream

Astroscream News Cred > Street Cred

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If this were true, why are only the deluxes hit with a huge price increase? Why is Walmart the only store making this kind of a price increase? No other stores are reported to be selling deluxes for 12.88 or anything close to it.

12. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

777 was great while it lasted. I passed on univers2.0 ironhide many times until I couldnt find him anymore-- I went to kmart and paid $11 for him and was irritated. the next week the 777 was gone and I ended up still being ahead of the new walmart prices. ----
    should have gotten him at 777.----shrugs----

13. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    it's almost like they want to make their money back after having that big sale for that long. So by raising the prices now they will make back that money they lost from the sale.

I know it doesn't make much sense but that's what I think

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Our currency is devalued. that's a big reason for it. takes more of our money to buy the same stuff. food prices have been rising for quite a while now, and it just finally reached toys.

another factor is our economy. which is shit. retailers have to make money. so they raise prices where they think consumers won't mind as much.

Meijers is.

I don't mind 12.88 for deluxes.

the fact that ANYONE cares about the price increase is absurd to me.

these are the same collectors who will import a deluxe class figure from japan that has very minor differences in deco for 20-30 dollars. plus shipping.

these same collectors buy very expensive pre-release toys, and it was rare for anyone NOT to be when animated's launch was delayed. we were jumping at the chance to buy 20 dollar deluxes then.

these are toys. if they're too expensive, don't buy them. complaining about a less than 2 dollar over MSRP price increase? that's stupid. look at the cost of food, something that actually matters, and see how much that's going up. complain about THAT. food is something you have to get. toys arent.

15. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Guys, Guys, Guys...Complaining that Walmart is charging a dollar or two above Hasbro's MSRP after months of selling deluxes below or at cost is silly or dumb. The fact of the matter is the holiday season was an absolute disaster. Think of all the times you went to walmart to but Tf's but bought other crap to. Thats why they do those thigns. Complaining that walmart cant afford to do it any more since collectors are the only one buying right is childish

16. encline

News Credits:
    Complaining? Childish? This is a thread about why the large increase happened so fast. I wanted to change the thread title, but can't now.

I know they will still sell. But as quick? Don't know.

I will be having that new Leader Prime and Devs for sure!!!

17. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    i was at walmart today, i asked the toy dep sales rep about transformer prices and he said they are raising them in may (to 10.00 from 8.99)for the movie release

so until may i got 9 dollar deluxes still

18. krazy83karl

krazy83karl Well-Known Member

I can't tell if you were joking with this or not but there is absolutely no way that the business people at Walmart would ever think of hiking up a price to keep their shelves full. If any place did that they wouldn't be in business for very long. That is an entire contradiction to the simple fact of a business being a business to make money.

If hasbro was hiking up their cost to retailers you would see all the retailers, except for maybe a few brave ones, hike up their prices for the merchandise as well. The fact that only Walmart has hiked up the price is a first hand indication that its just Walmart fiddling around with their price changes trying to find a price. For whatever reason that is, we'll never know... unless you're in with the head honchos of Walmart and they tell you.

The $7.77 price tag at Walmart was just basically a 2-3 month long sale building up to christmas trying to push extra sales. Honestly the few Walmarts around my house were always stocked completely full of deluxe transformers even at that price. Now they jacked up the price for who knows what reason, could be hasbro upping their price, could be Walmart trying to regain profit from the christmas season, could be the economy, who knows.

But if it really was Hasbro jacking around with their prices one would think that the prices would increase and be reflected at every retailer, which they have not.

19. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    he was joking

20. krazy83karl

krazy83karl Well-Known Member

Thank you, hard to tell on the net what is sarcasm sometimes. :)