No more pegs!!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by swampflight, Oct 1, 2009.

1. swampflight

swampflight Banned

Is it just me or is anyone else getting tired of new figures that are being constructed with arms and legs that connect to the body with pegs that pop off with even the slightest pressure? What ever happened to screws or pins holding a figure together? I understand it costs money to produce Transformers toys but to me pegs are just a way of cutting costs to the manufacturer and ripping off the public because if a limb pops off and gets misplaced the toy companies arent going to replace them and whats the point of buying toys you have to handle like fine china? Try explaining to an 11 year old that you have to carefully,without any pressure,slowly move an arm or leg to transform it and see what happens.Does anyone else feel this way?

2. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    When it pops off, you pop it back on. It's not Hasbro's fault if you lose it.

Are you talking about those simple peg joints that rotate? Universe Ironhide has them at his shoulders and waist. Animated Starscream has them in his legs. I hate those.

The worst parts-poppers are often ball and socket joints, but I don't mind those so much. ROTF Scout class Ransack is notorious for part-popping.

3. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    You get a vehicle that transforms into a robot for the same price as an action figurethat doesn't do anything accept moving their arms. I can get over a few things that are wrong from time to time. And If it's defective you can just return it. Problem solved.

4. swampflight

swampflight Banned

Sort of to the point...

Yes,I mean the peg joints that you are talking about but what I also meant was I dont like the fact they arent permantly connected to the figure so they dont pop off like the older Transformer toys.

5. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Well it's a trade-off. What you lose in robustness, you gain in transformation complexity and articulation.

Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it isn't.

6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Besides, they're designed to pop off. They're usually at the extremities, so if you drop the toy, the arm or whatever simply comes off on impact, rather than actually breaking.

It's not cost-cutting. It's toy design.

7. ghowildseven

ghowildseven SG Decepticon

If they ever become loose, nail polish can fix it oo.

8. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Exactly. And I'm glad too, nothing made me cry more as a child then to have a G1 TF part break off completely... my G1 Prime's head comes to mind : (

So yeah, I'd rather them pop off as long as they can be popped right back on!

9. TornadoQuakeX

TornadoQuakeX Decepti-Creep

I'm 95% certain the TC is talking about ROTF Soundwave's legs. Mine pop off all the time too. That's why he sits on my top shelf, along with Ravage.

10. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This.

11. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really don't mind that. It's not that big of a deal. Pops right back on.

12. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    The one that gives me the most trouble is Voyager Fallen. His feet pop out of his ankle sockets pretty easy. With the spring loaded feet...that makes it a lil harder to mess with. But then again, I use it in my web comic and that is the only time they pop out, and I don't really transform him into vehicle mode because...well there is no purpose!

13. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    G1 toys were better because sometimes a false move caused complete breakage.

Whoa....uhhh..wait.....what? :D 

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    This. It's usually only used on thinner parts so they don't snap.

15. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Admittedly, it is annoying when the pegs don't grip quite as well as one would like. Energon Mirage was infamous for this with one or both thigh rotations (Superlink Shockfleet is fine, though), and Universe Galvatron is hit or miss with his lower legs (mine are fine). One of the earliest cases I remember involved Alternator's Meister, but his split-peg design was easily remedied by jamming a piece of twist-tie in the joint.

But usually, I've had very little trouble with them. And the Superglue/Nailpolish trick usually helps in the case you get a dud.

16. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    This is really serious nit picking.

Toy desgins are like this. What if a child breaks a pin joint on a toy, you really have to go to some lengths to get it on.

Besides I like pop off pegs. They are good for stop motion people like me.

Sure it's more money in hasbros pocket if you break them, but maybe they actually tak into acoount this.

17. Tacitron

Tacitron An exceptional nut sack

Ebay:
    Classic Grimlock's arms annoy me in robot mode. They rotate and peg into the body, but never stay stuck. I love the beast mode, though. One small complaint in the sea of awsomeness that I feel the Classics line is.

Cyclonus has the same type of construction but I've never had any trouble with him in robot mode.

18. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    That's because, for whatever reasons, Grimlock's arms aren't designed to peg in. At the best, all those little tabs are guide pegs. I really have no clue what purpose the tabs on the sides of his torso are, and the tabs on his neck panel are to prevent his head panel from spinning, not to lock his shoulders in.

I like him a lot from a design standpoint, but the execution could have done with a titch more refinement.

Cyclonus actually has locking clips on his shoulders, so those work well enough.

19. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    ^THIS^

20. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    I share the sentiment of hating peg joints. They're worst when the joint above them is tight, so the peg, being the weaker link, always pops off. The problem was epic on 07 Voyager Megs for me, and I pretty much dislike the concept on the whole. I prefer ball and sockets to peg joints.