Customs: No more modeling supplies at Wal*mart?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    http://www.scaleautomag.com/sca/community/forum/topic.asp?page=1&TOPIC_ID=62037

ArmadaOptimus and I were chatting and he was telling me about this. I noticed that my local Wal*mart was a bit sparse and I thought it was odd. I guess this explains it. :( 

2. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Bummer.....man, that means that prettty soon my Walmarts wont have anything of interest....

On the plus side, I'll have to keep an eye out for that airbrush compressor kit...been eyeballing that for a long time...here's to hoping that they drop the prices real fast

3. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Dying hobby, huh? Michaels is the only store around here to carry them, and they have literally had the same kits for over a year, I pop in there 2-3 times a month at least, and always peruse the aisle, same stuff.

Even the Hobby Lobby here in town closed down. Shame.

4. Galvatron_Sama

Galvatron_Sama Well-Known Member

my Walmart used to sell Testor acrylic paint in the model kit section but continues to sell the enamel paints in plastic model finishing sets. they dont have a wide variety of stuff in the model kit section unlike 2 yrs ago.

5. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    That SUCKS ! first the supplies now the kits....hurtin.

6. -Barricade-

-Barricade- Forza Ferrari!

News Credits:
    Thats odd, our WM in the Valley gets a isle of its own for paint and plastic kits, and its always being stocked.

7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I knew a girl who's mom was some kind of higher up at a walmart store, and she said that they were gonna do away with their craft section as well. but I haven't seen anything like that happen yet...

8. bumblebee15

bumblebee15 Autobot

I just noticed this week our Super Walmart had like two kits and barely any paint!! I was wondering what the heck was going on!! Well looks i'll be going to hobby lobby or Michael's ! AGH!!!

9. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    Kind of makes sense. I take a look at their hobby section once in a while and I pretty see the same models there for a long time.

10. ArmadaOptimus

ArmadaOptimus Truck Not Monkey

Ebay:
    yup, i was at my local walmart tonight to get some last minute shopping done and the shelves where the kits were now have metal pegs for other toys (my model kit section is in the toy dept where i am). they have SOME bottled paints and a few paint markers, but no cans and ZERO kits :rip .
    i envy you guys who have a michaels in your area. the nearest one I have is in buffalo ny (over an hour away) or erie pa (about an hour away). I have only one local hobby store but he charges a LOT for his kits. case in point I picked up a 49 custom chopped 49 mercury kit from walmart for 12 bucks the same kit at my hobby store is is 20. regular kits like the 'concept' camaro was 19 when they had it at walmart for 9 and change. I will truly miss the model kits at walmart. At least i was able to get the 'merc and a very nice 1955 chevrolet bel air hardtop 2 in 1 kit :thumb .

11. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I already get my paints and stuff at either Hobby Lobby, or a a hobby shop. Walmart never carried Model Master paint. Pity it's an hour's drive, to get to either of those places.

12. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah nothing left here, which realy sucks due to the fact walmart was my only choice. Well guess it's off to the internet to due my shoppin.

13. Sound Blaster

Sound Blaster Shattered Glass World

They had some?? Serious one 6 ft. section doesn't count as a a "Modeling" section more like 24 or 48 ft maybe

14. _Flashback_

_Flashback_ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I don't have the time or inclination to make model kits anymore, but I was very big into it in high school. Its sad to see the hobby dying out but its been on its way out since then. I hope the hobby stores can keep afloat or there will be no where else to buy paints for our kitbashes.

15. adam-x

adam-x megazord activate,,

hmm seems to sell well here. Plus We got a hobby lobby with tons of kits/paints.

16. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I fortunately have two hobby stores nearby, but they are both farther away, more expensive, and close earlier :( 

17. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ill take my paint money elsewhere thank you!!

Sorry to say the same is happening in my neck of the corns. We are getting a Super Walmart and our model section has been looking glum since before the annouced Mega super community killing but I can't stay way from it "WALMART".

The only thing I get there now is flat black and a few other acrylic colors. If anyone has a comics shop around them look for some the carries Warhammer stuff. If the carry WH stuff then more than likely acylic paint for them to. I get Citadel and Gameshops works from and out of town but near comic shop for about 2.50 a container. And they last a while I re-painted three figures using one can of Liche purple and I still have more than half.

18. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    It's funny that it's said to be a dying hobby. I don't agree, at least in my area. I used to be a department manager over the arts and hobby section of a major retailer, and we didn't have any trouble selling kits or supplies. I was in Hobby Lobby tonight, and their model aisle was EMPTY. Somebody's buying 'em. I hate that WM is dropping these, mostly because that will hurt the model industry. My WM sells the hell out of models. Full restocks about every 2-3 weeks. Well, less money for WM.

On a side note, I've heard that there is a new WM big wig that apparently has something against the arts/crafts/hobby stuff. He is the reason WMs don't carry fabric anymore. I'm sure he's also behind the models. Mom and Dad must not have paid enough attention to him as a kid.

19. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Sounds like when Cartoon Network started bringing in all the live action programing, cause one of the guys in charge didn't like cartoons.

20. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

Thats odd.All 3 of the walmarts near me have a fully stocked section for fabrics.I have noticed the model/paint section being reduced to nothing.