No More Avengers?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by matrixprime, Jan 16, 2010.

1. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

im not surprised...im sure this'll lead to Avengers Vol 3489745345. Then when a milestone issue comes around, they'll go back to the original numbering.

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Close your doors, Marvel. You've lost it.

4. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

If they friggin' kill Thor AGAIN, I might riot.

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    This isn't surprising. Siege is supposed to reunite the Avengers' Big Three - Cap, Iron Man, and Thor. It makes sense that this will lead to a massive overhaul of the Avengers titles. What will likely happen is we'll get one main Avengers team which will do what OmegaScourge mentioned (run in low numbers until they can find a good excuse to bump it up to a '50 or '00). It will likely feel more like the old school Avengers titles - or at least as old school as Bendis is capable of making it (which is probably not very, given his tendency to favor people standing around and exchanging snappy banter over action).

There will probably be one or two subtitles as well - stuff to continue Slott and Gage's work from Mighty and Initiative. I wouldn't be surprised if they dust off an old name like West Coast Avengers or :) rolleyes2) Force Works.

And, of course, Young Avengers will continue to be "on hiatus" until the guy that writes it decides to stop doing tv work (ie. never).

6. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool. Avengers Disassembled part 2.

Look forward to seeing the lineup when they relaunch it.

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

If we get Earth's Mightiest Heroes The Avengers again, then I'm all for it. Nevertheless, the Marvel propaganda machine is just plain old.

8. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Let's put it like this: they aren't going to cancel the Avengers for long. They've got a movie to promote.

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Worst case, they'll probably just use the whole "BUT THE WORLD NEEDS AVENGERS" bit and throw some C-listers together like they sometimes do.

10. Alexander Quinn

Alexander Quinn Well-Known Member

I stopped reading after 'Civil War' anyway. Marvel's titles are just too &*^#ed up IMO. There just isn't any fun left in them anymore. Even the 'Ultimate' universe went straight to the crapper with 'Ultimatum'. At this point, I don't think Marvel is going to win me back as a reader any time soon. :( 

11. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

So lets see...

first it was "New"
    then it was "Dark"

Since Heroic Age is the thing, i'll go with "Heroic" title. Thus the new Avengers title will be called Heroic Avengers.

12. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

Marvel needs to just finish up all these "status quo" changing events and actually get a status quo going again. I mean at this point nothing is shocking or incredible anymore because no one knows what the hell is going on anymore anyways. At this point they could have Galactus show up and destroy the earth and no one would even notice it was happening until it was over.

13. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have said it before, and I'll say it again:

Dump Joe Quesada.

BRING. BACK. JIM. SHOOTER!!

14. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    I agree with the above statement.

15. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Really I'm glad to see this happening. I've enjoyed New Avengers but I think the name's been getting really watered down between New, Mighty, Initiative, and Dark... it's supposed to be one group, one, of the best team Marvel comics can put together. Being an Avenger is supposed to be a high honor, a lofty goal at best. These days membership comes free with a test drive of the 2010 Quinjet.

I'll be happy to have the plain old Avengers again.

16. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Jesus, cancelling the Avengers title already? Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they manage to keep the original Avengers running for decades before Disassembled came along?

Really, I don't care... I'd like to think Marvel are gonna take the high ground and keep it cancelled, create a new status quo and a new set of teams for a new era... But we all know that isn't going to happen, so bollocks to Marvel and their crossovers.

17. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    After dropping all the Transformers titles following the IDW *ations debacle, New Avengers is the only other book I'm reading.

I'm guessing this is all leading up to some massive movie prequel/tie-in somehow.

18. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    "Cancelled" isn't the right word. It's not like Marvel looked at the Avengers books, two of which are consistently amongst their top selling titles, and said "this isn't working, let's just cancel them all." It's just a relaunch following the team's inevitable reformation in Siege (or, more likely, in some kind of Avengers Assemble one-shot released after Siege - Marvel loves its one-shots).

19. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

While I do like that Marvel is so willing to mess with status quo I also think it's highly unlikely that we'll be without an Avengers book. I'm thinking they'll merge into one unified Avengers publication.

I mean Marvel without Avengers is like DC without the Justice League.

20. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

They are just canceling them so they can bring the entire team under a regular Avengers banner. They'll start a new series labeled "Avengers" and when it hits 30 or whatever number will make it, "New Avengers", and the original title = 600, they will change to that numbering.

Getting rid of Initiative is good because it hasn't been good at all lately, Dark was never going to be an ongoing, and Mighty has been pretty awful since the whole Hank Pym leading as the new Wasp. The only bring spot being Herc.