No Love For Solo,1 Player PS3 :(

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Autobot_Hiphop, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Autobot_Hiphop

Autobot_Hiphop Well-Known Member

War For Cybertron is an awesome game, not perfect, but just a fun shooting fest with good graphics and gameplay. The story could have been fleshed out a little more IMHO but what really bugs me is the lack of unlockables for 1 player.

Everything is so clearly geared towards multiplayer it's like they are forcing people to go online and play this game. Hey that's cool for all you online buffs but what about the people who just want to play through the solo campaigns?
    • We get 2 unlockable characters (fem bots) that can only be used in Co-op?
    • You can only pic 3 characters during the solo game and your stuck with them the whole chapter.

• Future DLC content seems to be TOTALLY geared toward multiplayer. (surprise, surprise)

• In game Movies, technically, shouldn't even be counted as unlockables! That just leaves concept art as unlockables...woopty doo! /rant off

I understand they want to sell more game units and gear the game toward a wider audience but c'mon. They gave 1 player absolutely NO LOVE. At least Star Wars, The Force Unleashed gave us character packs/skins that could be used throughout the 1 player missions. And that was a game that didn't even warrant multiple characters.

Transformers™ is a concept with hundreds of bots and personalities and they give us a total of THREE characters to choose from in the solo missions. Sad. I really like this game but Solo campaigning gets absolutely NO LOVE :( 
    I'd be shocked if they made any of the DLC for 1 player.

2. Lustrous

Lustrous Member

The force unleashed was an all single player game, of course there's going to be single player dlc.

3. Autobot_Hiphop

Autobot_Hiphop Well-Known Member

This is true, perhaps I should have used ROTF as a better analogy. The DLC for ROTF included single player bots.

I think they should have either made WFC completely 1 player or just multiplayer. Why give half efforts for both?

4. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Because there are people who want to play the story mode solo but be able to shoot people online? Why choose one or the other when they can add both. I'm not a big fan of not being able to use Jazz in the single story mode myself, but I'm not going to really complain about it.

The game was built around MP, from the ground up (to the point where you even drop your gun when you die in solo campaign mode), everything in this game was made to play with friends. So focusing the DLC on the MP aspects of the game is a no brainer. The single player campaign option is really the only "single player" aspect of the game, and it's really something that there was no reason not to include.

However having said that, for a game that was made to be mostly played online, you would think that they would've used better connection servers and included simple things like Host Migration so the online aspects would be that much more stable.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd fart for expanded mini solo missions involving BB or some of the decepticons. Pay like 3-5 bucks for a couple of story missions taking place at the same time as the war.

6. The Constructicon

The Constructicon Yeah, I turn into a leg.

In this day and age games need something called replay value, without a solid multiplayer experience the game will not sell.
    Why do you think the xbox demo was an online multiplayer one?
    Developers put just as much effort into this portion of the game as they do campaign if not more sometimes.
    We'll spend a few hours playing the campaign, maybe twice and then the rest of us spend hundreds of hours playing multiplayer.

As for only using three characters through the campaign, what did you expect?
    They're not going to make thirty of them, then have to write dialogue and pay actors
    to do the voices for every single mission and every character. Plus the way the characters interact as it is, is fantastic.

You'd get a watered down version of the game's story if that were the case.
    So of course DLC is going to be geared towards the online portion of the game, more people play it.

I agree that I'd like to see some new side-missions with new characters but that doesn't mean the single player aspect is neglected.
    If anything, solo play is being phased out unfortunatly.
    More games focus on co-op these days, people demand it.

If anything, take the game as it is, an epic plot of robotic goodness and a solid online experience.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Poor little Final Fantasy 13 and God of War 3, paling in sales compared to WFC, because it has multiplayer and Final Fantasy 13 doesn't. Fallout should also be dumped in the same waste dump as E.T.

No, a game can still maintain a solid replay value without the need for Multiplayer. Throwing a map down and letting gamers have at it is certainly an easy and effective way to lure players in, but it certainly isn't the only way. I respect a developer that can earn replay value without having to tag a game with multiplayer.

But, for WFC, I can see that it was integral for a game like that.

8. The Constructicon

Yeah, the problem is Final Fantasy XIII has dozens of successful games before it that ensure that it will sell, same with God of War 3.
    I suppose I misspoke, most games need it, not all but there are a great deal of people who will not purchase a game without some kind of
    competitive or cooperative online gameplay mode.

If they're not a massive game studio (High Noon really isn't) with a well established fanbase
    that can take risks by leaving out the multiplayer aspect they're going to try to make a kick-ass online game.

If WFC had no multiplayer, it would have failed hard.

9. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I really wish the single player got some better love too. There's really no reason to replay, no unlockables, no hidden items besides the Bot/Con symbols that only unlock Achivements/Trophies. But it seems nowadays Multiplayer is more important since increases the life of the game.

10. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They could charge $20 for DLC for this game and I'd still buy it. No matter the cost.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't believe it would have sold as well, no, but I seriously doubt it would have failed hard if the single player was strong enough, it would have just been met with a lot of "Where is the multiplayer" by people weened on the expectations of this generation of gaming. And with an aiming reticle on the screen taking up 99% of the gameplay, multiplayer would have been expected.

Fallout has a lot of history for PC gamers, but none for console gamers, and it sold well despite it lacking multiplayer.

Anyway, I still agree. This game needed multiplayer and thus, the DLC will mostly, if not all go to multiplayer. But after spending so much time on the story elements and developing a single player Cybertron and hiring voice actors, it wouldn't be too much to expect some type of single player DLC as well.

Because I for one think that judged objectively, WFC's single player is stronger than it's multiplayer, especially compared to other games out there.

12. The Constructicon

I was willing to pay $40 for a Jazz code, I'm going to buy their DLC no matter the cost. :D 

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I'm supporting DLC for sure.

14. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    That is the slaggin' weirdest expression I've ever heard for wanting something badly. What, do your farts smell like strawberry cheesecake and you hold them in until something good happens? :lol 

15. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

My one and only gripe with the game and it's multiplayer is that I can't play it in split screen with my family.

I played through the entire story in single player and then felt like I could go another round if my bro or cuz could have played with me.

And multiplayer would have been 100% awesome if I could have played with them against bots like in Gears of War.

The only thing keeping me from buying this game is the whole no split screen thing. It would have added so much more replay value for me.

I really do love this game and I love replaying some of the missions over again but without split screen it dosnt feel very solid for me.

I remember reading an article or something about Portal 2 and how they incorporated 2 player split screen into the game because they know that people want to play with their families at home on the couch.

I wish High Moon had taken that philosophy to heart.

16. The Constructicon

Bots aren't needed really, that's what Escalation is for.

17. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    2 player split screen and a longer story could have made this game much better, the servers aren't even good enough to really enjoy multiplayer

18. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Well let's just hope that HM will be able to give us some campaign DLC. I have a feeling they really want to especially considering how much background content they have put into the game.

19. ganymede2010

ganymede2010 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As others have mentioned. This game will go the way of the Force Unleashed. They will release mini content patches with different bots. In this age of video gaming, unlockables are paid for, not earned, kinda like the celestial steed in World of Warcraft.

20. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ROFL my stomach hurts. And I'm sure Prowl's would to if he held them in lol.