No love for Shattered Glass

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by butchrecon72, Oct 9, 2012.

1. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz I LIVE

News Credits:
    I like shattered glass stuff and I still do. Do I want it to go away no do I want a bit of a break yes. I want there to maybe be some new things for a while with the occasional SG toy thrown at us.

2. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I for one like Shattered Glass because I'm always interested in seeing what an opposite version of each character would be like. Especially characters like Drift who was a Decepticon but became and Autobot.

3. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My problems with it:

- The basic concept of a "Mirrorverse", where everyone good is evil and everyone evil is good, is so overused and cliched in science fiction. Shattered Glass hasn't done anything interesting or unique with it either. Every character is just the exact opposite of their standard universe personality or just has their personality swapped with that of their usual Autobot/Decepticon rival. Or, in the case of SG Drift, they just graft on a personality from a completely different franchise instead of coming up with something original.

- It's a very lazy way for FunPub to come up with exclusives. When they get their list of available molds, they don't have to come up with a compelling original character or search for an interesting obscure character to update...they can just slap whatever colour scheme they want on the mold and call it "Shattered Glass [Whoever]".

- FunPub has run it right into the ground. Two BotCon sets have been either exclusively Shattered Glass or heavily Shattered Glass, plus a few other exclusives and the continuity has featured in Club fiction (and will continue to do so).

- The Shattered Glass characters destroyed the Classics universe. Yes, FunPub's superspecialawesomebestestTFsever pet universe wiped out an entire splinter timeline of the G1 continuity, presumably either to prove how 'awesome' their Shattered Glass characters are or to have a ready excuse for not doing another Classics BotCon set.

4. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    I have about 1,300 bots. With SG covering Classics AND G1 toys now, that would potentially ass another 400-500 to my collection, and not one of them would be at regularly retail price.
    Every collector has to draw the line somewhere, for me it's at SG. Don't hate the idea, I just need the room, and if I'm gonna have every figure three times in different colours I'll customise G2 garishness thanks.

5. Girl Pants

Girl Pants Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me, I lost a lot of my interest when it became "let's just make them opposites" and stopped being "let's twist their existing traits to now make them good/evil".

Also, it's been going since 2008. That's a long time for TF fiction. That's almost as long as the movies, and you can see how tired people are of that line.

I think it also causes problems in that FunPub is the only place we're going to get a lot of our neat and obscure toys from, and if they're preoccupied with their own universe, then a lot of the potential toys many people would want are not getting made. Take SG Tracks for example. They could have made it Road Rage and given us a cool bio, and maybe even a new more feminine (or mouthplated) head. Instead we basically got the same character, except he's evil now (and didn't even really do anything in the fiction).

6. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I like the idea but never bought the figures as I have space issues.

7. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Battered Ass then? The toyline was conceived in jail cells... *facepalm*

Joking aside... some folks enjoy SG... some repaints are kind of neat I suppose.

But thing is... they're repaints. Very. expensive. repaints.

That and yea, they're not the most original things... SG Drift being Deadpool is kind of neat... and SG Magnus' design where Prime ripped his face off is kind of interesting... but as others said, most of them wind up being personality swaps.

8. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:

havent all the botcon sets been repaints, not just the SG ones?

9. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

I, Personally, think "Shattered Glass" is a genius concept. Sure, the whole "Mirrorverse" idea has been done to death, but those examples only ever gave a shallow taste of Alternate Universe Characters interacting with their Normal Universe counterparts. These Mirror Universes are usually never depicted.
    I'm Intrigued by the Story.

The Toys, on the other hand, Not so much. Pretty much all the Shattered Glass Toys are Redecoes of other figures, or straight up Repurposes (WARS, why are you calling yourself Camshaft all of a sudden?). While I don't have room in my collection for all the Shattered Glass figures (Or the money to even afford one of these exclusives), I would be interested In buying one if Hasbro ever made one in its Generations Line.

10. Kylehudson14

Kylehudson14 On when I'm on

I like Shattered glass! :cry 

11. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    I was OK with the idea the first time around, a one shot not for me, but a cool idea. Now It feels rushed and overdone in a short timespan.