No love for Hound?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by fabexmax, Dec 21, 2010.

1. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I'm not a HUGE TF comic reader, but I have read some of the more current IDW stuff, and I feel that Hound is one of the most under used G1 characters still in rotation. I think IDW attempted to paint him in the light of being a drill sergeant, but they haven't really captured it right. I know people compare current characters to existing characters so why can't Hound be like Beachhead from GI Joe. Or Sgt Slaughter. This would allow us to be able to have new recruits introduced ala Drift, and before they start hanging with the heavy hitters they gotta go thru training missions with Hound and earn their way into the higher ranks of the Autobots. IMO, this also would set up some cool animosity between Hound and his recruits and Kup and the Wreckers. With Hound viewing Kup and Springer cherry picking recruits and teaching them to be reckless and to not follow orders or chain of command, and Kup telling Hound that he's still wet behind the servos, and that he is bringing up the new 'Bots to be too soft, and he would expect more from one of his former best recruits! Again, someone is gonna burst my bubble and say this has already been done, and if it has point me in that direction, but if it hasn't this would be a really really cool way to further flesh out a character who never got enough shine. What do you guys think?

2. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I gotta agree but in the toys. Why didn't they make more of the classics hound? I thought the g1 toy was one of the coolest.

3. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

News Credits:
    huh? We got a sweet deluxe Hound who came w Ravage! Hound has indeed been represented in CHUG. And his CHUG legend has been reissued in HFTD legends.

Plus his Alternators mold is one of the best Alts, hands down.

4. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agree! I have Swindle, but I soooo want a Hound.

5. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    and thus they should make more :) 

6. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I really like this idea. Kind of a bots in the system vs. a bots outside the system kinda thing. Hound's bots would adhere strictly to the rules but simply don't have what it takes to take down the tough guys.

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I love Hound its just that there is so much to get he kind of falls through the cracks XD

8. Forward 2.0

Forward 2.0 Member

Which is a shame. When I was a kid, the only TF I had access to was "More Than Meets the Eye" on video, which I watched ten thousand times and didn't see the rest of G1 until years later. Hound plays a big role in that.

So for years, Hound in my head was as important as Optimus or Bumblebee, Megs and Screamer. And now I'm grown up and look, no one cares about him. Poor Hound.

If I ever get into kit-bashing like I want to some day, I'll make a Movieverse-Hound or something.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Landmine's a good mold to use for Hound.

Also I like Hound, He could have been the kid-appeal but they later ditched "Jimmy Stewart" for Bumble-****.

10. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    Hound was reissued in the Takara book reissues, Detritus e-hobby repaint, Alternators, Henkei / Classics line, and the awesome legends toy. Hound is very well represented lately, he even got a weapons upgrade in the G3 trailer.

11. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Finally someone else sees the Jimmy Stewart in Hound.

Personally, I wouldn't like to see Hound like Beachhead. Beachhead is all attitude. Hound was always one of the nice bots. I can see him being a good soldier but not one of the macho types. Now I wouldn't mind seeing him with some type of command role but keep him mild mannered. Prowl has already been ruined over the years going from the quiet, logical but nice guy to a whiner. Though Roche has made him likeable again. I'd hate to see Hound lose his 'self'.

I like to think of Hound as thoughtful and a deep thinker. I can imagine him spending long periods alone on scouting missions.

No love for Hound? While nice looking with a great alt mode, the G 1toy is a brick and his Legends toy is an insult.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Hound spotlight or mini series. But let's keep him the nice bot from MTMTE. I liked Trailbreaker for similar reasons. Those 2 don't get enough love.

12. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

I never thought of Hound, as a drillSargent, but thats a great idea.

13. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Hound should stay an observant, sensitive, fearless, Earth-loving scout. Leave the gruff drill sergeant thing to Kup.

14. fabexmax

News Credits:
    From the descriptions you laid out, they sound boring. Quiet, sensitive, loners, logical. Maybe thats why they get no love. Lets get them out of their heads in their own thoughts and interacting with other bots. Maybe I went to far left comparing him to Beachhead. At the root of it, Hound SHOULD still be a nice bot, but he also recognizes that if this war is to end, then the Autobots need to stop working as a group of individuals and become soldiers. An Army. And in order to do that they need proper training, chains of command, discipline, military protocol, etc. All things he's learned from observing Earth's military while scouting, and the way the Decepticons operate(that would come into play later making some other bots not so trusting of Hound) This also is where the principals of Hound training the recruits, and what Kup and the Wreckers do would differ so strongly. Hound would basically operate under the idea that why be in a war that we have no way to end. If we are to fight, we will fight to win, and for that to happen we will become a force unlike any the Decepticons have faced. An Autobot Army. This could be a Hound mini series, like Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos, just on a larger scale.

15. Prime's Pappa

Prime's Pappa Animated Forever

I agree...hound def needs more luv...we have not seen him in a series in sometime despite being an interesting character and his toy is usually really nice like his G1, alternator, classics and even robot hero...we need more hound!!!

16. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Hound being a drill sergeant is a terrible idea. His personality is suppose to contradict his military alt-mode.

17. fabexmax

News Credits:
    Not in IDW comics.

18. UKBrawn

UKBrawn Intergalactic Tin Opener

Hound is a great character and has a great henkei\Uni toy.
    I love the fact he is more of a pacifist, I'm totally bored of most of the autobots progressively being turned into killing machines by various fictions.

I like to think he retired after the 86 movie bots took over and roams the earth as a solo explorer or something, recording everything for cybertronian records. (and giving powerpoint presentations to Humans about how to look after the planet :D )

19. SC0RP0N0K

SC0RP0N0K Well-Known Member

Hound has always been one of my favorite Autobots. I too don't feel that he has been treated well in comic form, but I also don't feel the drill sergeant persona is the way to go either. I do like the idea of Hound being an opposite of Kup in terms of leadership style, such as Hound lets new recruits get away with things that Kup would tear them apart for, just so long as Hound doesn't become a wuss or an ineffectual leader.

I could see Hound siding more with IDW Prowl and his dislike of "loose cannons" like Springer, Hot Rod, Grimlock, and Kup.

20. fabexmax

News Credits:
    THIS^ So maybe not Beachhead style. But Hound would say, a good solider is a solider that follows orders, and comes home alive! Yeah! That's my kind of Hound.