No love for Cheetor????

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Waverider, Jan 22, 2009.

1. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Most deeply insightful post in this thread.

2. AMG

AMG Old School

I haven't picked him up yet either. While the alt mode is definitely improved from the original, the bot mode leaves a lot to be desired.

3. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Where did that come from?

Care to tell us why he rocks?

4. Inverse Midas

Inverse Midas Jettisoning weight!

My biggest gripe with Cheetor is his God-awful arms; they are simply too short, and the beast kibble connected to the underside of the forearms is very obtrusive.

The backpack is something of an eyesore, but whatever, I can deal with that; more or less goes with the Beast Wars territory.

Other that that, I like him. The blue paint looks very nice with the brushed-metal appearance, transformation is fun, and looks great in alt mode.

Overall, one of the weaker Classics / Universe entries, but I do not regret buying him.

5. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    his beast mode is fantastic. It's just his robot mode is so lacking in redeeming qualities.

6. hutchprime

hutchprime Made of sterner stuff

News Credits:
    Like the figure, but he's far from the 'best' Cheetor.

His arms ARE to short, and HIS SHOULDERS HURT.

7. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I like him but people don't like him because
    1. BM
    2. annoying kid appeal
    3. FREAKING KIBBLE
    4.trukk not munky
    5 fugly face (damn they messed that up)

8. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

I can't possibly have Universe Cheetor in my collection until he kicks the Meth habit. I'm worried he'd be a bad influence on Classics Bumblebee, what with his being easily led and all...

9. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

Cheetor is actually an EXCELLENT kid's toy, like the rest of the toys we all buy. He has a neat little transformation as well.

That being said, Beast Wars as a series tends to be nigh a religious topic around here. Anything that isn't perfectly aligned with the cartoon is heresy.

10. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

Like what everyone already said.

I never had Cheetor in my BW collection... and figured, why not.

Beast mode is a 8/10. It looks pretty good. Don't have the original BW to compare with. The eye gimmick is "eh".

Robot mode is a 6/10. Has a giant backpack.. with really short arms. Looks good in a certain angle when you don't see the backpack.

Maybe it'll warm up with me after playing with it a bit more...

11. Lord Prime S.

Lord Prime S. Well-Known Member

I want an updated Rattrap :( 

12. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    I have to admit, it took me a bit to really get into Cheetor's bot form, and yes, the arms are stumpy, but it's SO much better than some of the other incarnations. His alt mode is just RIGHT ON. And really his bot mode poseability is extremely good for a Beast Wars figure. And he has more weapons than previous versions. I think what would have made him a sure win would have been if Hasbro had kept the grey lines from the test shots of the figure (see the resources page) on his fur, as that shadowing made him look extremely realistic. Nothing a little Gundam marker couldn't cure, but if it had been there from the start, it wouldn't be on the pegs.

It probably helped that I watched all of Beast Wars again during the time that I picked him up, but also, if you have a wife/daughter, they cannot resist The Cheetor. Something about him being a "cute kitty".....

And I totally agree....we so need an updated Rattrap.

13. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I like my Cheetor. I think he's ok. Though I have to admit that horrible, HORRIBLe hunch back is a bit of a turnoff when comes to the bot mode.
    Plus when you really look at the mold. Cheetor looks more like an 'adult' robot as opposed to a younger bot. He just looks more mature than Cheeter really should imo.

14. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've seen Cheetor at my local Walmart and Target. But I'm not a fan of Beast
    Wars either.

15. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Volcanicus Torso

News Credits:
    Somewhere Wearing The Dinobots As Gloves & Boots
    you're right about the wife/daughter factor.......Both my daughters LOVE Cheetor and I even had to buy a Cheetor figure for my oldest daughter. (she's 6)

16. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well alrighty then.:lol 

I will admit his cheetah mode is nice although lacking articulation, but that bot mode of his is absolutely terrible! It's pretty bad that the first Cheetor from so many years ago has a better more accurate bot mode than something made today, but I guess that's what happens when you focus on the alt mode over the bot mode, ah well.

Dinobot however I NEED, he looks great in both modes and is light years ahead of the original version!:bay 

17. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

Figure looks great, but I never got into Beast Wars. Maybe I might by picking this up.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I agree. I'm really torn on him but either way I know he's not that great at all. The original Cheetor was a brick in beast mode, (worked better for Tigatron than Cheetor, IMO) but it was still a fun toy all around and the bot mode is excellent. Universe Cheetor doesn't look that fun at all, and I just don't see how his Alt mode looks that good.

I've noticed that as well, but I think it stems from a variety of things:

-Beast Wars, unlike G1, never got more mould homages (not counting the repaints) than you could count in every TF series since RID, so really the original is the ONLY thing you can compare it to.

-Most Beast Wars figures still hold up to today's standards as far as complexity, paint apps and articulation is concerned, so when a figure homages them and it isn't any good it only has the originals for comparison. This also makes people who are fans of BW feel, for lack of a better term, left out since G1 is always getting homage. And when a BW fig finally gets redone and it's not all that good it feels... unsettling.

-Beast Wars era was a giant leap ahead of it's time, and so was the cartoon (as many 90's 'toons were) so people who watched the show and fell in love with it and the toys are going to be used to it's high-for-it's-time quality.

Then, of course, there's just the typical TF fan's picky nature. Which in my opinion is somewhat justified in this case. I certailny think they could've done far better with Cheetor if they had just altered a few things. Hell, just look at Henkei Dinobot. All it took was a new paint scheme to have him looking badass.

19. krazy83karl

krazy83karl Well-Known Member

I bought a cheetor, I wasn't planning on it, I wasn't impressed at all with the pics I saw prior to release, but I did it just because I was excited to find my TRU had a glimpse of the new wave. I can definitely say I'm a lot more impressed with it now that I have it than I was looking at the pics, but at the same time I can honestly say it's easily the worst of the universe line.

20. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I like BW, possibly my favorite series, but "G1 BW" Cheetor is enough for me. But I might get Cheetor if I see a really good sale.

Dinobot, on the other hand, is a huge improvement over any that have come before.